share rss forum feed

stevey_frac

join:2009-12-09
Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to El Quintron

Re: Netflix Super HD/Open Connect

So, I've got Win 8 installed, and I get the green 'Super HD Ready' thing, but i'm unable to stream any content at the new high bitrates. Not seeing anything over 3200 kbit. no 5 mbit or 7mbit streams for me.

I'll have to play around with it some more tonight. It's possible that my DNS service to give me U.S. netflix is screwing it up.

Which would suck. That would mean i'd have to choose between good content selection and good looking content.

--Steve

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by stevey_frac:

So, I've got Win 8 installed, and I get the green 'Super HD Ready' thing, but i'm unable to stream any content at the new high bitrates. Not seeing anything over 3200 kbit. no 5 mbit or 7mbit streams for me.

I'll have to play around with it some more tonight. It's possible that my DNS service to give me U.S. netflix is screwing it up.

Which would suck. That would mean i'd have to choose between good content selection and good looking content.

--Steve

how do you even know super HD is enabled on the PS3 or Wii U ? I don't have windows 8 so i can't try that.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
reply to stevey_frac
Super HD requires ISP support which includes the Netflix appliance and transit to Netflix's network so try on Tek with the Canadian version directly. Likely doesn't work on your DNS service because they are not setup for that.

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
reply to Tx
on PS3 just highlight a titles and it will say it's super HD. captain america is a title that has it. Here is a screen.

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON
reply to El Quintron
UnoTelly also has SuperHD woot!

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
said by rodjames:

Hmm.. now that might get me to switch from Unblock US.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
Click for full size

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to TSI Gabe
said by TSI Gabe:

edit: we already have it

You can verify by looking at this page.

»www.netflix.com/superhd

But not out west, right? That page tells me

quote:
Your Internet Provider is ready for Super HD!
Your Internet Provider is part of the Open Connect network, a free partnership with Netflix. Netflix will automatically play movies and TV shows in Super HD on a supported device if your connection is fast enough.
I have 8x6 (42Mbps effective) MLPPP and a Roku 2 XS (1080p), but no SuperHD titles show up.
--
db

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

on PS3 just highlight a titles and it will say it's super HD. captain america is a title that has it. Here is a screen.

Thanks buddy, appreciate that

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to mlerner
said by mlerner:

Super HD requires ISP support which includes the Netflix appliance and transit to Netflix's network so try on Tek with the Canadian version directly. Likely doesn't work on your DNS service because they are not setup for that.

appliance yes, peering is optional.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
said by 34764170:

said by mlerner:

appliance yes, peering is optional.

From the Super HD page: "Super HD is only available via Internet Providers that are part of the Open Connect network."

Doesn't the Open Connect network mean peering? Maybe I got the terminology wrong..

Etobicoke, ON
said by mlerner:

From the Super HD page: "Super HD is only available via Internet Providers that are part of the Open Connect network."

Doesn't the Open Connect network mean peering? Maybe I got the terminology wrong..

Netflix does not have peering in Canada (at least so far).. for the Open Connect CDN they can provide the appliance and/or peering but peering is not required for use of the appliance.

Peering is only provided after meeting a minimum requirement of 2 Gbps of sustained traffic to Netflix. The appliance is provided with a minimum of 5 Gbps of sustained traffic.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to El Quintron
To clarify the Windows 8 thing... There is a native Netflix app for Windows 8. This does not operate through a browser, but directly on the machine. This is different from running Netflix in a browser on Windows 8.

If they say Netflix on Windows 8 only supports this, then they're saying the Windows 8 Netflix app (which is a Metro app in the Windows store) supports it.

This is probably allowable because that app would be a walled-garden thing (like the "TV" platforms) that would not raise the same concerns as the browser-based version running in Silverlight.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

zmjp

@ipredator.se
reply to El Quintron
For me personally its about content, not about various degrees of HD or whatever bright label is being sold today. Good content with lower quality always wins over crappy mind-manipulating fantasy waste that simply does not make sense, does not have a value and will be forgotten in 2-3 years tops.

Redviper

join:2010-03-22
Scarborough, ON
reply to rodjames
said by rodjames:

Using unblock-us DNS also says that "Your Internet Provider is ready for Super HD" but there are no actual offerings with the Super HD box. I don't think it's working with either service yet.

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
reply to El Quintron
So this isn't available to browsers and why? It's the only way I can Netflix, U.S. or Canada.

The so called HD they have now is barely good enough so better HD is preferred. Between the U.S. and Canada the content is good enough but the SD streams are like watching SD cable tv. yuck.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
Same reason as "Available in HD on your TV", most likely. Content owners are evil.

Also consider that the browser uses Microsoft's VC-1 codec, while most TV devices use the h.264 codec, which is a bunch more efficient. It's possible that Netflix isn't willing to supply (or doesn't think many users could support) the bitrates that would be required to provide Super HD with VC-1.

The Windows 8 app is probably more similar to the TV apps, using WebKit/HTML5 for the interface and h.264 for video, instead of Silverlight and VC-1.

EDIT: I'm curious to know if the Windows 8 app counts as a TV for the "Available in HD on your TV" thing...
--

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to Redviper
I will reconfirm with UnoTelly + PS3 once my kids are done watching Wiggles.

anon1234

@teksavvy.com
reply to El Quintron
Does having access to Netflix CDN directly mean that super HD traffic won't be counted towards our cap?

TOPDAWG
Premium
join:2005-04-27
Midland, ON
kudos:3
you wish but as of now nope netflix counts towards your cap. Fork something needs to be done about the shitty ass caps in Canada.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to rodjames
I was using UnoTelly DNS service when I was trying with the Windows 8 app.

Show were showing up with the SuperHD logo in the windows 8 app, but i wasn't recieving a 5mbit or 7mbit stream.

So, Unotelly might not actually support this yet.

--Steve

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to anon1234
said by anon1234 :

Does having access to Netflix CDN directly mean that super HD traffic won't be counted towards our cap?

Since the vast majority of cost comes from moving bits over the last mile (Bell, Rogers, etc), peering with Netflix doesn't do much to reduce TekSavvy's cost.
--

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to DarkStar33
said by DarkStar33:

Windows 8 is a polite way of saying "Windows" without have to deal with listing the previous versions.

If your on XP/Vista its a worthwhile upgrade.

no it isnt
if i wanted a tablet operating system that can ONLY watch over priced television well id buy a tv and cable service that can ...
this just makes me want to actually pirate more....

and tell us all what is the issue with using windows 7 for watching HD
no its a polite way to say screw you consumer i want you to bend over and pay pay pay and give you so little i can pay my own trip to mars and back

vikingisson

join:2010-01-22
Mississauga, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Same reason as "Available in HD on your TV", most likely. Content owners are evil.

Also consider that the browser uses Microsoft's VC-1 codec, while most TV devices use the h.264 codec, which is a bunch more efficient. It's possible that Netflix isn't willing to supply (or doesn't think many users could support) the bitrates that would be required to provide Super HD with VC-1.

The Windows 8 app is probably more similar to the TV apps, using WebKit/HTML5 for the interface and h.264 for video, instead of Silverlight and VC-1.

EDIT: I'm curious to know if the Windows 8 app counts as a TV for the "Available in HD on your TV" thing...

The content owners and most delivery agents are indeed evil. Being as I haven't had cable tv or other entertainment nonsense for many years I sprung for Netflix. Not the worst deal out there but HD is critical for me staying with it. Too bad about codecs because I can run just about every codec I've ever wanted for a long time. But not on Netflix, gee, my subscription is coming due so we'll see.

At least there's something a little more interesting to talk about around here..

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to El Quintron
i'm definitely NOT getting SuperHD bitrates on Win 8, even when using Canadian DNS (defaulting to Teksavvy's own DNS servers).

I can see the SuperHD logo, and I can see the 'Your Internet Provider is ready for Super HD!" message, but am not receiving Super HD content.

I'm going to call Netflix and see I can get some support.

--Steve

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
reply to El Quintron
I'm talking to 'Netflix Nick' Right now. Trying to sort out why SuperHD isn't working.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to El Quintron
And it works! At least for Canadian Netflix. Quality is pretty stellar too. Better than most HD cable channels, that get the crap compressed out of them.

Also of interest is that the Netflix Win 8 app is doing a hardware accelerated decode, which means that even weak laptops and desktop will be able to enjoy full 1080p goodness with the new Win 8 app.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

None of that makes any sense. Silverlight supports H.264 just fine.

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to El Quintron
If anyone is looking to know what bitrate of content they are seeing, Use the shortcut:

Ctrl + Alt + Shift + S

This will both tell you what bitrate you're watching, and also allow you to force a manual override for the bitrate.

--Steve

stevey_frac

Cambridge, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

2 edits
reply to El Quintron
I have successfully gotten Super HD working with Unotelly, although it's somewhat sporadic. Sometimes when I launch the netflix app, it doesn't see SuperHD compatibility, and sometimes it does. Once it's recognized, it always works however.

For your info:

The '5 mbit' stream is actually 4.3 mbit video + 64kbit audio. You really probably won't be able to play it with less than a 5mbit connection.

The 7 mbit stream is actually 5.8 mbit video + 64kbit audio. The amount that gets cached on my system appears to be approximately three minutes. I never see greater than about 15 mbit caching, and it takes about 30 seconds for the stream to work it's way up to Super HD, even when forced manually.

Let me know how other people get on with Super HD! It is good looking!

Edit: Here's a screenshot from Top Gear. The scene is high motion, and difficult to encode. You can see texture in the roadway, which is impressive, and the tree line is reasonably well defined. It's also real 1080p goodness!

»dl.dropbox.com/u/30691810/Top%20···Shot.jpg