Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

What PC Game Purchase Do You Regret The Most?

What PC game did you purchase that absolutely makes you rage in anger when looking at your games library, credit card statement, or dusty game box sitting on the shelf?

It can be a recent game or something from years back. And it doesn't have to be an exclusive PC game either, it can be a console port.

For me....SWTOR. Game engine ran like dogshit, along with being too much of a WoW clone to be interesting enough to warrant a monthly subscription from me.

So, I want my fuckin' 80 dollars back, along with the 1 month of subscription time.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1

in Recent memory Tera, Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. But not full out rage, more just general disapointment.

Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 weren't necessarily "terrible"... but what I expected and what I got were absolutely 2 different things. Both of them took too long to come out, and when they did they were already dated. And weren't really an improvement over the originals.

Tera - while it had good graphics and some "action" combat. The game was still too grindy. The game had no real PvP system at launch, and by the time it did, I had already quit the game and won't be returning

In the 1990s I got many of my PC games at stores like COMP USA, before the interwebs was really in full force. As a result, many PC game purchases were duds, but off hand I can't remember them because its already 20 years later.

puppy

join:2010-01-28

1 recommendation

D3 and the annual pass I paid to get it... since now I'm not playing either...

Like you guys said, D3 wasn't bad per se, but hitting that way in the last difficulty where you can't even process in act 1 made me a sad puppy, and having to play the game THREE times to reach the max level sucked.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

D3, ARMA II since I couldn't get DayZ to work.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

Couple I could think off.

One was CityofHeroes/CityofVillans - played for 30 days and quit that grindfest. $30.00 if I remember

SWTOR - it was sliced bread at first, but man what an epic failure of management.

WoW Cata - logged in for maybe 24 hours of /played, ended up deleting my account, gave away everything.
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Ghastlyone

I would have to say Neverwinter nights 2 Platinum edition, was $20 and the first time I played it was like "woo cool" now its like "no way" the GFX dont bother me as i'm use to that but when I tried saving the game, it did'nt work out and some of the other little things. Editor was pretty neat though.

D3 is another strong one since there is no offline mode, I have to deal with a whole bunch of lag and getting disconnected every 5 minutes or so, I can't help it that I have satellite (no other options) and the patching seemed a little kiddish, blizz would make it fun then come out with a new update to make the game trashy, was so bad that now my brothers are'nt playing it so they uninstalled it and left it be.

Far cry 3 is a game i'm pretty upset over (still) it was a cool game when FC2 was famous (online play) and now theres FC3, the MP ain't any account cause the lag is aweful (even others are saying the same- with landline connection) and for a couple things in SP is the stamina, you can run, run, run or swim and swim forever but you can only hold your breathe underwater for a minute. What? The second would have to be the length, FC2 story mode seemed a bit longer imo. But I like that UBI stuck to the same old FC theme and background that it always had, thats cool.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Epic fail.

Fishead1
Premium
join:2001-05-08
Bronx, NY
reply to Ghastlyone

I don't buy very many games anymore because of money problems.Just can't afford them.But the last game I bought I guess several years ago that sucked real bad was Hellgate:London.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Ghastlyone

SWTOR, Rift, Borderlands 2.

Best purchase was Torchlight II via Steam for 10 bucks.

Rogue Wolf
Mourns the Loss of lilhurricane

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY
reply to Ghastlyone

Brink. What a waste of money for that preorder. $50 for an hour and a half time played.
--
I may have been born yesterday, but I've spent all afternoon downtown.

Savant
Premium
join:2001-08-12
Toronto
reply to Ghastlyone

MoO3, what a stinker that was.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to Ghastlyone

All the impulse buys on Steam. Never finished one game I bought I bet.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to Ghastlyone

BF:BC2

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

said by EUS:

BF:BC2

aw man. BC2 was a sleeper for me--I played about halfway through the campaign and put it down, then came back months later and got addicted to the MP and played up to unlocking everything.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada

I just cannot get into it, I don't know why, something turns me off the game, even MP.
--
~ Project Hope ~

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

BF:BC2 is what got me started in FPS.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!
kudos:2
reply to facepalm

said by facepalm:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Epic fail.

Really? Huh... I rather enjoyed it as the combat was quite a bit of fun and you could respec to try out other specializations. The storyline was okay, but the combat kept me going.

My most regretted purchase for PC would have to be Force Commander, the Star Wars RTS that should never have been.
--
From Psychonauts -
Lungfish Civilian: (describing Goggalor) He's impervious to bullets! ... and love!
--

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to Ghastlyone

Duke Nukem Forever. I was a huge Duke fan and was excited for it. After about 20 minutes I was disappointed. I finished it to say I did but it was bad.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
reply to Ghastlyone

Dragon Age 2.

I don't know what to say... the first time I pressed played, I had to exit and go on Google to search for Dragon Age Origins sequel to make sure I bought the right game. I was 100% sure I picked up another series that also seemed to be called Dragon Age that was some rip off of a cheap MMO.

When I couldn't find any info about another game, I went back and continued to play it... I only got convinced I'm playing the sequel one hour into the game... then I tried forcing myself to play it for another 5 hours before I just got fed up and never touched it again.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to Ghastlyone

I want to quickly throw in my 2nd pick:

Tribes2
It felt like masturbation with no happy ending.
--
~ Project Hope ~

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to Ghastlyone

Max Payne 3. Worst of all, I paid full price for it. The first two games were great, so I got this one as soon as it came out. For years after I finished the second one, I was hoping they'd come out with another one. Now I wish they would have just let the series die off, instead of killing it in such a gruesome way. Way to get our hopes up, and then shit all over them, Rockstar Games!

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, collector's edition.

What a buggy PoS that was. T'was also the game that made me swear never to buy another game again unless I had tried the cracked copy first to make sure it was worth paying for. Never regretted that decision.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ekster

Daikatana. Yes I bought it, yes it was awful and yes I still have the game.

SiN Episodes: Emergence. Not because it was bad -- I liked where it was going, especially being a fan of the '97 original -- but because the whole project died on the table after tons of lead-up. All I see is lost potential when I look at the (comically overlarge DVD-style) disc case on my shelf.

Road Warrior, the sequel to Quarantine (this is really reaching back into the depths here). Completely terrible and nothing like the sandbox-style first game, which was almost an early GTA3 precursor. Played it for about an hour.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Phantasee

said by Phantasee:

Really huh? Borderlands 2?

I can see someone just not getting into it, but not a worst purchase ever.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ghastlyone

It's definitely interesting seeing some of the choices people are talking about in here.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Phantasee:

Really huh? Borderlands 2?

Took the words right out of my mouth...
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to Rogue Wolf

said by Rogue Wolf:

Brink. What a waste of money for that preorder. $50 for an hour and a half time played.

Ouch
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to The WeaseL

said by The WeaseL:

Duke Nukem Forever. I was a huge Duke fan and was excited for it. After about 20 minutes I was disappointed. I finished it to say I did but it was bad.

I liked DNF. I'm a sucker for the one liners, I guess. I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering, just some over the top bragging and some alien carnage.

I rarely buy anything for full price when it's new, so by the time it's reached discount price I can check the user reviews and see if it's worth my time. That way I rarely get disappointed by hype. I did get fooled by Far Cry 2, though. I saw it on a Steam sale and remembered how good the original was so I picked it up. After about half an hour I deleted it. What a terrible game.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Ghastlyone

For relatively recent purchases, there aren't really any that I completely regret buying. Two I enjoyed briefly but I don't think were worth the money I paid were Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.

Diablo 3 was just way too repetitive, and pretty much being required to use the Auction House to progress killed it for me after a while.

GW2 had several innovations, but for some reason, the game started boring me after only 3 weeks. I know I'm in the minority on this, but the characters and skills just seemed bland (probably added to by the fact I wanted to play a ranger, which seems to be one of the least developed classes).

I don't regret the time I spent on either, but the price of the game wasn't commensurate with the amount of enjoyment on either of them.

For older games, my most disappointing purchase ever was probably Front Page Sports Football Pro '96 or '97, I can't remember which it was. They took what was probably the best football game I'd ever played (the '93 and '95 versions) and turned it into a huge mess, with game errors and major speed/sim issues.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to footballdude

said by footballdude:

said by The WeaseL:

I liked DNF. I'm a sucker for the one liners, I guess. I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering, just some over the top bragging and some alien carnage.

I rarely buy anything for full price when it's new, so by the time it's reached discount price I can check the user reviews and see if it's worth my time. That way I rarely get disappointed by hype. I did get fooled by Far Cry 2, though. I saw it on a Steam sale and remembered how good the original was so I picked it up. After about half an hour I deleted it. What a terrible game.

I like one-liners and the humor too, but maps felt stale and the controls felt clunky (I bought the PC version). If I had gotten it for xbox, the controls might have felt better.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.