share rss forum feed

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone

Re: What PC Game Purchase Do You Regret The Most?

Unreal Tournament 2003--

I played UT99 till my fingers bled and continued to very frequently for more than 10 years after it was released, and still 14 years later turn it on and frag once in a while when time permits.

Bought UT2003 but couldn't get used to the gameplay.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

crazediamond
Maybe you shouldn't be so proud?
Premium
join:2002-01-19
Atlanta, GA
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

It's become an ideological issue for some, who feel like sticking it to the man by taking issue with the ToS. It usually involves fear-mongering over Steam being able to deny you access to your license if you run afoul their EULA/ToS. Although I've never heard of one case of that happening...

Really? That's weird because until I agreed to the revised TOS, which removed my right to join a class action suit against them, I could not play games that I had already paid for, including games that I did not buy from steam in the first place.

If that's an extreme view in your eyes or that you some how think I'm trying to "stick it to the man" by having to agree to their revised TOS or forfeit several hundred dollars in purchases (which doesn't even make any sense but I suppose its just stock response you people employ) then I don't know what to say except LOL at your sig.

--
And if I show you my dark side, will you still hold me tonight?
And if I open my heart to you, and show you my weak side, what would you do?

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

I never read the fine print on documents. There is no telling what I've agreed to through the years. lol
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Valve, like almost every other big content/service provider, has removed, via you agreeing with the TOS, your ability to join a class action lawsuit against them, which I don't mind, since it usually ends up making a lawyer fat, but does nothing for the consumer, and in the age of Reddit, Twitter, and Youtube, you can give them bad press a myriad of other ways instead.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a dirty move by all companies ("you either agree to not jointly sue us, or you're SOL"--especially when you have money invested in Steam, WoW, cell phone number, etc.), but I don't think it changes all that much. I mean, the last time someone succeeded in a class action lawsuit I was eligible for, I had the option of receiving a $2.54 in payout from Comcast (yeah, it added up to millions in damages, but the lawyer got something like 20-30% of the entire payout).

The type of class action lawsuit that still really means something today, IMO, are the sorts for gross negligence or malpractice against a doctor or drug manufacturer (although they have their own negative consequences if not capped--look at the doctors who left PA due to higher insurance premiums against malpractice) or an employer (pay disputes are legendary in law enforcement).

All that said, we should keep Valve's impact on gaming in focus. They are not the shining paragon we always make them out to be, and in legal reality, there is very little different between Origin and Steam. But Steam has revolutionized DRM by making it unnecessary, has probably dual-handedly kept PC gaming alive (along with Blizzard), and is going to further revolutionize gaming on the TV (especially with the coming onslaught of Android-powered consoles).

said by crazediamond:

If that's an extreme view in your eyes or that you some how think I'm trying to "stick it to the man" by having to agree to their revised TOS or forfeit several hundred dollars in purchases (which doesn't even make any sense but I suppose its just stock response you people employ) then I don't know what to say except LOL at your sig.

That crazediamond See Profile equates using an entertainment service to giving up Liberty for Security is just... lol. I don't think the quote means what he thinks it means.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits
reply to Krisnatharok

I had an issue a few years back with Steam. I bought a game, it crashed on start every time. I opened a ticket with their support who took a week to tell me to contact the publisher. The publisher said they did not support 64bit versions of Win 7. Steam said tuff, I said their sales page said it was supported, Steam support said nothing for two weeks. I broke the cardinal rule and tried to reverse the charges (after telling them I would several times), they blocked my account.

They held the account ransom. I have issues with that. Sadly, they now amount to a monopoly. Almost all new releases are via Steam, even boxed games require it. Although EA does seem to be trying to go their own way.

I can see pulling the license to the one game, but to all of the games? At that point in time it amounted to a few hundred dollars worth of software. If it had been a boxed version I would have tossed it on the shelf and just been unhappy. You can't return opened software, everyone knows that. With Valve, I expected something more. How can they sell a subscription to something that they claim is supported on an OS and then not back it up.

Something else to keep in mind is the limitations we have all agreed to. In the past with a CD version of a game, I could buy one copy. But what I have seen from friends who have children between the ages of 5 and 18 is that they end up buying 2 or more copies of everything. This is so the children can play two different games at the same time. One can't play Skyrim and the other Borderlands on the same account. Although one industrious father I know puts Steam in offline mode on every machine but his to get around this.

Also to keep with the topics title, Supreme Commander 2. Talk about a waste of money.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

diablo1892
Plough, sew, water, harvest. Repeat.

join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by xrobertcmx:

I had an issue a few years back with Steam. I bought a game, it crashed on start every time. I opened a ticket with their support who took a week to tell me to contact the publisher. The publisher said they did not support 64bit versions of Win 7. Steam said tuff, I said their sales page said it was supported, Steam support said nothing for two weeks. I broke the cardinal rule and tried to reverse the charges (after telling them I would several times), they blocked my account.

They held the account ransom. I have issues with that. Sadly, they now amount to a monopoly. Almost all new releases are via Steam, even boxed games require it. Although EA does seem to be trying to go their own way.

I can see pulling the license to the one game, but to all of the games? At that point in time it amounted to a few hundred dollars worth of software. If it had been a boxed version I would have tossed it on the shelf and just been unhappy. You can't return opened software, everyone knows that. With Valve, I expected something more. How can they sell a subscription to something that they claim is supported on an OS and then not back it up.

Something else to keep in mind is the limitations we have all agreed to. In the past with a CD version of a game, I could buy one copy. But what I have seen from friends who have children between the ages of 5 and 18 is that they end up buying 2 or more copies of everything. This is so the children can play two different games at the same time. One can't play Skyrim and the other Borderlands on the same account. Although one industrious father I know puts Steam in offline mode on every machine but his to get around this.

Also to keep with the topics title, Supreme Commander 2. Talk about a waste of money.

You can't return software neither back to the website.. This is one of the top reasons why i do what i do.. To find out if the game can even run on my computer, what if I buy a game that cant even run on my computer just because of what i have? I'm actually having an issue just like yours so guess what i do? I download the non legit version, it works better.. thats right, the crack actually works better than the real thing and yes I have paid for the game and have all+ latest updates and still wont work with legit version. Its kinda like a scam i say (for most of the programs and games)
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying
or has a good reason for how much it's worth.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to xrobertcmx

You don't ever do chargebacks--you will always kiss your account goodbye if you do. This holds true with Paypal as well. The cost of what you can recoup via chargeback has to outweigh what you will lose in doing so.

What you should have done was filed in small claims court, which usually causes them to settle with you vs. the cost of showing up in your local jurisdiction to fight it.

Or heck, go on a media blitz with Reddit's r/games, Tweet places like Steam's PR folks, Anandtech, and Ars Technica.

Write a front-page storage for DSLReports regarding misleading OS support and the refusal to refund you.

There are all sorts of ways of resolving this without doing a chargeback.

Anyways.. you live in NOVA too eh? I think there are a couple others here as well, we should do a LAN night at Starbucks or something.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

You can't return software neither back to the website.. This is one of the top reasons why i do what i do.. To find out if the game can even run on my computer, what if I buy a game that cant even run on my computer just because of what i have? I'm actually having an issue just like yours so guess what i do? I download the non legit version, it works better.. thats right, the crack actually works better than the real thing and yes I have paid for the game and have all+ latest updates and still wont work with legit version. Its kinda like a scam i say (for most of the programs and games)

Using the excuse "my computer is crappy, so I'm going to pirate software" in pure non sense.

If your computer is so fuckin' old and crappy that it won't even run current games on low settings, then you either need to get another hobby, or buy a console and be done with it.

You don't have to buy a 1000 dollar computer, but at least upgrade to something in the last couple years. Even my old HP from 2010 with minimal upgrades would run a lot of stuff on high settings.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1

can build a nice AMD gaming machine for under 600... which would run Tera at max and WoW on ultra no problem at 1080p

i love the AMD machine I built my wife, such a bargain... im more proud of it than my intel machine

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I built an Athlon 64 3400 gaming rig years ago and have upgraded piece by piece since then. Right now it is the FX-8350 w/HD6870 1GB. I rarely spend more then $200 on a part and only have a big expense when I have to change motherboard and CPU. With the last big upgrade to the FX, I just waited for the next payday and added 16GB of DDR3-1866 to it. The 1333 is fine, but I have no idea what RAM prices are going to do next week so save now.
This model works well.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

said by diablo1892:

Using the excuse "my computer is crappy, so I'm going to pirate software" in pure non sense.

If your computer is so fuckin' old and crappy that it won't even run current games on low settings, then you either need to get another hobby, or buy a console and be done with it.

You don't have to buy a 1000 dollar computer, but at least upgrade to something in the last couple years. Even my old HP from 2010 with minimal upgrades would run a lot of stuff on high settings.

well Ghastlyone, that unfortantly can't happen these days.. The games nowdays need something expensive.. You can't just go out and buy something, its gotta run it.. The point I was making with what i said was directing at companys that don't got a clue on how to make a game.. its not the computer, its the software.
--
HT1000/ BeamID 32/ Power Max plan/ 4 pcs on a D-Link wired switch/ wireless D-Link router with password
Support only the gaming company's that matter the most, pay for something that actually is worth buying

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

That's nonsense. Computers have come down in price over the past decades, to the point that even affordable tablets and budget desktops can run nearly anything on lowered settings.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by diablo1892:

well Ghastlyone, that unfortantly can't happen these days.. The games nowdays need something expensive.. You can't just go out and buy something, its gotta run it.. The point I was making with what i said was directing at companys that don't got a clue on how to make a game.. its not the computer, its the software.

Let me quote what you said one more time....

said by diablo1892:

This is one of the top reasons why i do what i do.. To find out if the game can even run on my computer, what if I buy a game that cant even run on my computer just because of what i have?

That's not a software issue ^ that's you blaming the game running bad, on your shitty computer that you refuse to upgrade.

I had a store bought HP computer with a quad core AMD and stuffed a cheap ass GTS 450 into it. I played on that for a couple years, most games on high settings.

You can get even cheaper then that and run on low to medium settings. Stop trying to justify your game pirating.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

to the point that even affordable tablets and budget desktops can run nearly anything on lowered settings.

Thats different.. What i was reffering to was huge games such as GTA or something similar to this but even with lowered settings with some games like this 1, its still not enough but games like terra or w/e you guys play thats small or india like type, those can be playable on just about everything (on low settings)
--

TheThing

2 edits
reply to Ghastlyone

times are tough, $600 can be considered a lot when things are tight

if I was really tight on budget, and was forced to use an old machine

games like Torchlight 2(no internet) and League of Legends(with internet) would still be tons of fun and not require system upgrades

with all the F2P games trending, and steam... no reason to pirate anything

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to diablo1892

Oh here we go again with diablo defending his pirating thing.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

One is only allow to Pirate if:

- Uses an eyepatch
- Uses a ship
- Rolls with a parrot on his shoulder
- Is Jack Sparrow

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Anyways.. you live in NOVA too eh? I think there are a couple others here as well, we should do a LAN night at Starbucks or something.

Yar.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to I AM

said by I AM:

- Uses an eyepatch
- Uses a ship
- Is Jack Sparrow

You left out wooden leg. You fail.

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

said by Ghastlyone:

said by I AM:

- Uses an eyepatch
- Uses a ship
- Is Jack Sparrow

You left out wooden leg. You fail.

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
reply to Ghastlyone

One question... Whats wrong with pirating?

Its never a bad thing to go out and explore a little.. and Ghastlyone? Why always be such a dick to pirate's? Why all the hostility?

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA

said by diablo1892:

HRRRMMMMMMM.......You are taking something illegally that is not rightfully yours? It is against the Law? The government can put you in prison? It requires a ship? It requires looting another ship?

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

said by I AM:

said by diablo1892:

HRRRMMMMMMM.......You are taking something illegally that is not rightfully yours? It is against the Law? The government can put you in prison? It requires a ship? It requires looting another ship?

Its not when it comes to the legit version being broken... As i explained in my one post in here, I said my game is broke so I go and get a crack then start playing using that.. like i already said I BOUGHT THE GAME.. there for i have a key BUT the legit copy is broken so i go to use crack.. **WORKS PERFECT NOW**
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to diablo1892

said by diablo1892:

It is the best way to get a very nice thread locked.

Thank you in advance.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

TheThing

reply to Ghastlyone

when I think of diablo1892 I always picture a nice old man in his 70s who still enjoys playing vodeo games

now I picture a trolling thief!

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
reply to diablo1892

You bought a key. You didn't buy the entire franchise. I buy a car from Honda. They give me a key to a certain vehicle with a certain VIN. I can't say gah my vehicle broke. Let me go take another one off the lot.

diablo1892

Friendly, WV
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·HughesNet Satell..

So I stay with legit ver and just keep getting game crash? I'v looked all over for a fix for the game and no luck once so ever except for an update that i dont think i had cause the company apparently never fully released it.. the game is called "slamit pinball big score" if this helps. As for the type of problems im having: when i start game, theres no pinball in the shooter, game crashes when entering into the xbox 360 controller setup (this all happen before i got the non legit) also this game is pretty old witch shouls work fine on my pc but it don't

help would be really nice.
--

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state

said by diablo1892:

help would be really nice.

»lmgtfy.com/?q=slamit+pinball+big···ad+crash

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to diablo1892

Well this is a first. A guy claiming his legit, store bought, retail versions of his PC games are more unstable and unplayable then his cracked pirated versions.

said by diablo1892:

and Ghastlyone? Why always be such a dick to pirate's? Why all the hostility?

If you want to torrent PC games, have at it. I don't give a fuck. But don't try and make people believe you do so, because you get superior performance with pirated versions.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Well, there have been cases where DRM has been so bad that people have gone and picked up cracked versions of the game (EA's Spore)... though, those don't affect performance...