how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

The Antihero

join:2002-04-09
Enola, PA
reply to Ghastlyone

Re: What PC Game Purchase Do You Regret The Most?

Max Payne 3. Worst of all, I paid full price for it. The first two games were great, so I got this one as soon as it came out. For years after I finished the second one, I was hoping they'd come out with another one. Now I wish they would have just let the series die off, instead of killing it in such a gruesome way. Way to get our hopes up, and then shit all over them, Rockstar Games!

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Ghastlyone

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, collector's edition.

What a buggy PoS that was. T'was also the game that made me swear never to buy another game again unless I had tried the cracked copy first to make sure it was worth paying for. Never regretted that decision.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to ekster

Daikatana. Yes I bought it, yes it was awful and yes I still have the game.

SiN Episodes: Emergence. Not because it was bad -- I liked where it was going, especially being a fan of the '97 original -- but because the whole project died on the table after tons of lead-up. All I see is lost potential when I look at the (comically overlarge DVD-style) disc case on my shelf.

Road Warrior, the sequel to Quarantine (this is really reaching back into the depths here). Completely terrible and nothing like the sandbox-style first game, which was almost an early GTA3 precursor. Played it for about an hour.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Phantasee

said by Phantasee:

SWTOR, Rift, Borderlands 2.

Really huh? Borderlands 2?

I can see someone just not getting into it, but not a worst purchase ever.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Ghastlyone

It's definitely interesting seeing some of the choices people are talking about in here.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Phantasee:

SWTOR, Rift, Borderlands 2.

Really huh? Borderlands 2?

Took the words right out of my mouth...
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to Rogue Wolf

said by Rogue Wolf:

Brink. What a waste of money for that preorder. $50 for an hour and a half time played.

Ouch
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to The WeaseL

said by The WeaseL:

Duke Nukem Forever. I was a huge Duke fan and was excited for it. After about 20 minutes I was disappointed. I finished it to say I did but it was bad.

I liked DNF. I'm a sucker for the one liners, I guess. I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering, just some over the top bragging and some alien carnage.

I rarely buy anything for full price when it's new, so by the time it's reached discount price I can check the user reviews and see if it's worth my time. That way I rarely get disappointed by hype. I did get fooled by Far Cry 2, though. I saw it on a Steam sale and remembered how good the original was so I picked it up. After about half an hour I deleted it. What a terrible game.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Ghastlyone

For relatively recent purchases, there aren't really any that I completely regret buying. Two I enjoyed briefly but I don't think were worth the money I paid were Diablo 3 and Guild Wars 2.

Diablo 3 was just way too repetitive, and pretty much being required to use the Auction House to progress killed it for me after a while.

GW2 had several innovations, but for some reason, the game started boring me after only 3 weeks. I know I'm in the minority on this, but the characters and skills just seemed bland (probably added to by the fact I wanted to play a ranger, which seems to be one of the least developed classes).

I don't regret the time I spent on either, but the price of the game wasn't commensurate with the amount of enjoyment on either of them.

For older games, my most disappointing purchase ever was probably Front Page Sports Football Pro '96 or '97, I can't remember which it was. They took what was probably the best football game I'd ever played (the '93 and '95 versions) and turned it into a huge mess, with game errors and major speed/sim issues.
--
Brain: Pinky, are you pondering what I'm pondering?
Pinky: I think so, Brain, but "Snowball for Windows"?

The WeaseL
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota
reply to footballdude

said by footballdude:

said by The WeaseL:

Duke Nukem Forever. I was a huge Duke fan and was excited for it. After about 20 minutes I was disappointed. I finished it to say I did but it was bad.

I liked DNF. I'm a sucker for the one liners, I guess. I wasn't expecting anything earth shattering, just some over the top bragging and some alien carnage.

I rarely buy anything for full price when it's new, so by the time it's reached discount price I can check the user reviews and see if it's worth my time. That way I rarely get disappointed by hype. I did get fooled by Far Cry 2, though. I saw it on a Steam sale and remembered how good the original was so I picked it up. After about half an hour I deleted it. What a terrible game.

I like one-liners and the humor too, but maps felt stale and the controls felt clunky (I bought the PC version). If I had gotten it for xbox, the controls might have felt better.
--
How lucky am I to have known someone who is so hard to say good-bye to.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1
reply to Ghastlyone

Fable 3, played a total of 53 minutes according to steam. Game just never clicked for me.

Dead Rising 2, Interesting concept, but just boring getting around from place to place.

And honorable mentions to both Battlefield: Bad company 2 and Battlefield 3, the Realtek issues with punkbuster causing system hardlocks at random sucked.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Man, that's too bad you mention BF3--it is the best military shooter out there, it sucks you're having hardware problems with PB.

Getting a headshot at just under 1200m as qualifying as an expert shooter in the military--they really introduced well the bullet velocity and trajectory (if a bit unrealistic--there is no rise, only a fall).
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV

I feel like a noob, I still haven't purchased BF3 lol

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

It looks gorgeous, and the balance is well done--you can become a sniper, a grunt, a tank driver, a Cobra pilot, or F/A-18 or F-35 pilot on the same map.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

stvnbrs
Premium
join:2009-03-17
Cary, NC
reply to Ghastlyone

Rift, SWToR, D3 and annual pass. Mostly the annual pass for D3.
--
Goggalor: "Freedom of speech is not freedom of asshattery."

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

I'd vote for D3. i didn't even get pass the Third Part of the story. Blizzard sure knows how to market.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

It looks gorgeous, and the balance is well done--you can become a sniper, a grunt, a tank driver, a Cobra pilot, or F/A-18 or F-35 pilot on the same map.

I'm nervous getting BF3, because it might be the game that I cannot max out on ultra settings at 60fps forcing me to purchase a new GPU lol.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

I'm nervous getting BF3, because it might be the game that I cannot max out on ultra settings at 60fps forcing me to purchase a new GPU lol.

Probably.
--

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC
reply to Ghastlyone

I think the ones i regret the most are the FF MMO's, Xi and XIV.... mostly XIV, though. What an utter piece of shit. Some cities looked ok, but that was about as far as it went, it was like they'd never made a game before.

D3's up there. I had mixed emotions about that game. I said from day 1, as I'm sure many recall, that the graphics sucked for what it should have been, and then when I bought it after hearing the praises (never buy a game you're unsure about at release...) and thought...hey, this isn't too bad. Until the reality hits you that the shit you find isn't going to be doing you any favors and that you HAVE to use the AH, and that it's already getting played and you're not a player...oh, and the RMAH...yeah, that worked out great, didn't it?

Surprised BF:BC2 was mentioned. I freaking loved that game, the original bad company as well. One of the few BF's where the story was just as much fun as the MP....well, almost, anyway. Great games....I forget the name of the map, but the open field with 4 little town-ish areas that was used as a tank / sniper / chopper fest was just fucking awesome. (I still can't fly a chopper to save my life)
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Nightshade
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Salem, OR

2 edits
reply to Ghastlyone

Getting suckered into that annual pass for WoW. I should of known better. I think I only played WoW during the pass three times and every one of those was playing Pandera when it was beta. Should of known better the stupidity of the idea to commit to a year to a game that I was losing interest in the first place because of the carrot on a stick of a free game that was D3, which I haven't played in a while now and only have one character.

But anyways I let the annual pass run its course and canceled my WoW subscription. I may come back to it or I may not.

Live and learn I guess. Lesson is to never commit to any subscription based game for longer than six months no matter what is offered to make you stay longer. It's a suckers deal.
--
The true patriot is motivated by a sense of responsibility, and out of self interest for himself, his family, and the future of his country to resist government abuse of power. He rejects the notion that patriotism means obedience to the state.

Bamafan2277

join:2008-09-20
Jeffersonville, IN
reply to Ghastlyone

Rift

Got to level 15 and got bored with it.

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Man, that's too bad you mention BF3--it is the best military shooter out there, it sucks you're having hardware problems with PB.

Getting a headshot at just under 1200m as qualifying as an expert shooter in the military--they really introduced well the bullet velocity and trajectory (if a bit unrealistic--there is no rise, only a fall).

I got a lot of play out of it (63 hours according to battlelog). It was always just annoying since it seemed I could play 5 games straight where every game was one-sided, then that 6th game rolls around, it's close as hell... and computer locks up. If not for that though I'd probably have put a lot more time into it, as except for the punkbuster lockups is also one of the best games I own.

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Ghastlyone

SWTOR or Warhammer.

Don't regret any WoW expansions, including MoP even though I didn't hit cap.
Don't regret D3 (via annual pass) as it's a fun distraction.

Civ 5 is/was pretty bad, IMO. Civ 4 is better.
--
flickr | 'Cause I've been waiting, all my life just waiting
For you to shine, shine your light on me

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to EUS

said by EUS:

I just cannot get into it, I don't know why, something turns me off the game, even MP.

Man sorry to hear that I thought it was pretty cool, being able to blow walls up and stuff since on MP new players would always try to hide behind them, but anyways I will say BF3 right now since I spent some $43 on it but I'm still only lvl 2 because I got tired of the frame rate jump up and down, so I said screw it I will just upgrade the hardware then come back.
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

LG is NOT Lifes Good It's Lucky Goldstar!

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to banditws6

I got to play SiN (the '97 one) the full version maybe about 4 years ago, pretty cool I thought but never messed with any of the others.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
reply to Subaru

It's probably due to after playing Joint Operations, everything else seems rehashed.
--
~ Project Hope ~

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to drew

said by drew:

SWTOR or Warhammer.

Don't regret any WoW expansions, including MoP even though I didn't hit cap.
Don't regret D3 (via annual pass) as it's a fun distraction.

Civ 5 is/was pretty bad, IMO. Civ 4 is better.

Well, howdy, Drew!

LTNS
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to Savant

said by Savant:

MoO3, what a stinker that was.

Yes, this stands out as the most disappointing game I have ever played.

Aside from that, Diablo 3 is the only one last year that I am disappointed in.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to footballdude

said by footballdude:

I did get fooled by Far Cry 2, though. I saw it on a Steam sale and remembered how good the original was so I picked it up. After about half an hour I deleted it. What a terrible game.

Interesting you mention this. I thought the first Far Cry was so terrible that I was never even tempted to touch the second one, let alone the third one. I was quite taken by the tech demo / beta / whatever it was they released first, since nothing had ever really looked that good before, but the retail game (although it looked great) was so shallow and empty -- with AI that seemed so damn cheap to me -- that I barely played it before packing it away for good. I still have that one too, somewhere in my collection.

As for DNF, I was a huge Duke fan in the '90s. I basically played nothing else for about a year and a half the instant Duke3D shareware hit CompuServe in January 1996. My two best friends from high school were also into it and we played a lot of modem games back then. So of course we all bought DNF, we all played it online some, but yeah, its checkered past definitely shows and it is lacking a good amount of polish. Controlled just fine on the Xbox 360, though. I also played the PC version a bit at Gearbox Community Day before the retail release and it seemed OK to me.

The humor was definitely crude by modern standards, though. I like to think of Borderlands as the spiritual evolution of the wisecracking hyperviolence that Duke3D was -- BL does it with polish and panache.
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Ghastlyone

ironically the games I purchase and don't finish playing.

For the Wii:

The wife thought I liked donkey kong country. I only played it to help her sister out but didn't care for the game myself.

Green lantern- rise of the manhunters: Hard game to understand lost interest in it.

Lego games: Been meaning to getting back to playing these

For the iphone:

A disney game called Where's my water: Got to the higher levels, wife finished it, great strategy game but been playing others
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!