join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Krisnatharok

Re: Need help building a desktop gaming computer

said by Krisnatharok:

snip

Damn dude, I didn't know it was that bad. Literally taking a 4.2ghz overclock on an AMD Quad Core just to match an i3 Dual Core @ 3.3ghz. And more power usage and heat at that.

I feel ashamed now even recommending the AMD FX that I did.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to Aranarth

Good information but not really germane to the OP and his $600-Canadian budget--you can't really fit an i5-3570K and 7870 without cannibalizing money from other areas (i.e. bottom-of-the-barrel mobo/ram/psu/case).
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Ghastlyone

said by Ghastlyone:

said by Krisnatharok:

snip

Damn dude, I didn't know it was that bad. Literally taking a 4.2ghz overclock on an AMD Quad Core just to match an i3 Dual Core @ 3.3ghz. And more power usage and heat at that.

I feel ashamed now even recommending the AMD FX that I did.

4.2 GHz (4.3 GHz turbo) is the stock speed out of the box. You could probably push it a couple 100 mhz faster to match or edge out the i3 with a good cooler, but that will add additional cost.

It's really only the remotely viable choice for fanboys--any other Bulldozer/Piledriver is a waste of cash.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
reply to Maven

Thank you for the suggestions. I will be looking into them tonight.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Good information but not really germane to the OP and his $600-Canadian budget--you can't really fit an i5-3570K and 7870 without cannibalizing money from other areas (i.e. bottom-of-the-barrel mobo/ram/psu/case).

I was giving an example of what I would do as an idea to save some money by upgrading a current machine. The article I linked is definitely related to the OP's question. Especially the Econobon on the 2nd page.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

You're right, I missed the Econobox, although their prices will be less than what you can get it for in Canada. It's very similar to what I put together.
--

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

You asked for a build on your budget, so here it goes. This system should even be able to handle Far Cry 3 on decent settings. Prices shown are all Canadian and reflect shipping, as well as any MIRs available.

• CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core CPU (COMBO w/MOBO) - $130
• Mobo: ASRock Z77M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $103
• Memory: G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $46
• GPU: SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 - $116
• HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD5003AZEX 500GB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache - $90
• PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - $51
• Case: Rosewill LINE-M Micro-ATX Mini Tower Computer Case, Dual USB 3.0, come with Dual Fans, Support up to 4 Fans, 12.5" card - $51
• ODD: ASUS 24X DVD Burner SATA - $27
TOTAL: $614 w/shipping and rebates

Possible upgrades:
• $54 will step you up to a considerably beefier Radeon 7850 GPU
• $15 will step you up to a full-size mobo (COMBO)
• $15 will step you up to a full-size case--recommended if you upgrade your mobo to full-size (try this one or this one)
• $20 more will upgrade the HDD to a 1TB Caviar Black
• $97 will add a 90 GB SSD for much faster boot times and loading screens

Hope this helps--feedback is appreciated.

Build this, but make the video card a 7850, which is still $50 under you $700 budget. This will easily play any game on High settings for years to come as long as it is on one monitor.

To save an extra $20, you could go with a WD Blue Series hard drive, which I actually find runs quieter and just as fast in real world performance.

»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···22136769

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Maven initially said "$500-600," then came back and said "If I have to pay $700, I'll just get a laptop."

I think the laptop reasoning is flawed as all he'll be able to buy at that point is a GT630M and a 768p LCD at either 11, 13, or 14" form factors. Not much of a computer.

If he could afford the computer I put together for him with the 7850, that would be a rather beastly rig that should have no problem with any current games.

Add a 32GB SSD for caching and it should fly.
--

Maven
Premium
Canada
reply to Maven

Hey guys, I'm kinda swamped right now so this whole computer buying business is on the backburner, but I should be able to looking into this Sunday (hopefully).

I haven't abandoned the idea of buying a desktop BTW, so I appreciate all the suggestions.

Maven
Premium
Canada
reply to Krisnatharok

Hey Krisnatharok, thank you for your suggestion. I think I may just go with your build.

Quick question though - what is the point of moving up to a full sized motherboard and case?

Also, do you know if the build you outlined would be reasonably quiet? I'm kinda difficult about fan noise.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

It will be relatively quiet.

You can certainly go for a "cool n quiet" PC case and a fanless PSU, but it will cost more.

It's almost as if the saying "you can have fast, quiet, and cheap--pick two of three" is true here. I think the Rosewill fanless PSU is $170USD.

I don't think you need to resort to those measures though. Build it, assess the noise levels (it will be quiet), then go from there.
--

SysOp

join:2001-04-18
Douglasville, GA
Reviews:
·MetroPCS
reply to Maven

Here is some perspective. Buy the best you can afford right now that will meet the Windows Recommended System Requirements for your games or soft-wares. Read more about passive cooling if you want quiet. i7 is for bragging rights.

Far Cry 3 system requirements (recommended)

CPU: 2.4 GHz quad core Intel
RAM: 2GB
Graphics: DirectX 11 compatible card with 1GB of video memory, Nvidia 400-series or better

Maven
Premium
Canada
reply to Maven

So is there no point in upgrading to a full sized motherboard and case besides wanting more space for extra hard-drives and such?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

More expansion slots, like usually four memory slots instead of just two, and room for more expansion cards. A mid tower holds a full size board just fine, and it's the most common type of case people buy.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
reply to Maven

On the topic of quiet, if you can find the spare cash, these cases are the duck's innards.

»www.fractal-design.com/?view=product&prod=99

quote:
High density noise-reducing material for an optimal silent case - To achieve a high level of noise reduction, material with mass should be incorporated which is what we strive to achieve with the dense bitumen used on the side panels.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Maven
Premium
Canada

1 edit
reply to Maven

How can I know about bottlenecks? For example, using a Radeon 7850 with an i3?

EDIT: NVM, the i3 is apparently fine.

I'm just about ready to purchase this thing. If anyone could suggest another case though, that would be great.

Maven
Premium
Canada
reply to Maven

OK I found a case, here is my shopping cart. Any feedback is appreciated.

Fractal Design Arc Mini Black High Performance PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 and 3 Fractal Design Silent Fans - $89.99
»www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as···11352008

EDIMAX EW-7612PIn PCI Express Wireless Adapter - $24.99

SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card - 119.99

CORSAIR Builder Series CX500 500W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply - 64.99

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ... +
ASRock Z77M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - $232.98

For a grand total of $600 after taxes and shipping.

I have a spare HDD.

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to Maven

I think that looks good, however, I cannot stress enough, *if* you can upgrade to a 7850, I would do that in a heartbeat.

Maven
Premium
Canada

The 7850 recommends a minimum of 500W PSU, which is what I would be getting as per the build Krisnatharok suggested.

Wouldn't I need to upgrade the PSU?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I think you may be forgetting memory and optical drive...

The 7850's TDP is 130w, so you could get away with a 400w PSU if it's a good one. But a 500w is more than spacious.

Gordo74
Premium
Monroeville, PA
reply to Maven

said by Maven:

The 7850 recommends a minimum of 500W PSU, which is what I would be getting as per the build Krisnatharok suggested.

Wouldn't I need to upgrade the PSU?

No. With that build, you will be using a MAX of 300w. They put that in so people with dual power hungry processors/16 sticks of RAM, and 4 hard drives won't complain when their new video card finally pushes them over the edge.

Long story short - your 500w PSU will be enough for any under $400 single card on the market with that build.

Maven
Premium
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to Maven

The order is complete!

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

Fractal Design Arc Mini Black High Performance PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 and 3 Fractal Design Silent Fans

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ...

ASRock Z77M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card

1 x Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR CX500M 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I know I could have spent a little more for a better video card and processor, but I know I won't be playing heavy-duty games so I stuck with the more quiet components. I'll be playing Blizzard and Maxis games, basically. I figured I would upgrade in a couple of years, and by then maybe games will be able to utilize the power of the i7.

Thanks to everyone, especially Krisnatharok for outlining the build I chose.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to Maven

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Maven
Premium
Canada
reply to Maven

Waiting on the components, they're in the mail.

I was just wondering, would getting an alternative cooling solution be worth it? Since this processor shouldn't run that hot, maybe it would be overkill.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

You should be fine with the stock cooler, but if you want a little extra, get the Hyper 212+ for ~$20.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Maven

I was fine with the stock cooler on an i5-2500k, even heavy gaming - until I started to rip DVD's. That pushed it to the limit and it kept throttling back to avoid overheating itself. A Hyper 212+ took care of that.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The Sandy Bridge CPUs run a lot cooler than the Ivy Bridge CPUs--but this is an i3, and I just finished a build with one of these, and the stock cooler is fine.

To show you how much hotter the IB chips run, the i5-3450 I used in my stepson's computer was unstable when gaming. I tried reseating the heat sink a couple times, and reapplying TIM, so I just tossed the stock cooler and put an aftermarket one on it.
--

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to signmeuptoo

$700? I think it could be done and done well.
$189 for the FX-8350
$149 GTX 650 ti (EVGA) -$10 rebate
$89 GA-970A-D3 motherboard -$10 rebate
$48.99 Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4GB)
$69.99 CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 -$20 rebate ($57.99 at amazon, but no rebate.)
$56.99 SilverStone Precision case (Amazon is the same and ships free)
$39.99 LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X
$49.25 Noctua Ultra Silent CPU Cooler at Amazon.
Total $692.21 and $40 in rebates that I hate so I don't include them in the the total.
This build would be somewhat akin to what I use, I have a higher end motherboard, an Antec P180 case, and a HD6870 graphics card, but the TI I played with at a friends house seemed smoother in Skyrim.
Would still need Windows, 7 is $89.99 at Amazon or $99.99 at NewEgg. Switch to a standard DVD-Rom (, lose the cooler to go stock, won't be as quiet but that would give us a bit. A Rosewill power supply will save $20 and be reliable...and thus Windows is paid for. Pick up the Noctua or similar CPU cooler next paycheck.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
reply to Krisnatharok

You left out the OS.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by xrobertcmx:

You left out the OS.

Read the OP.

said by Maven:

So far, I have a Windows 8 Pro 64 bit license and a monitor. I need the actual computer, including the case/power supply.

- snip -

I'll be using NCIX.com or newegg.ca