share rss forum feed

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Maven

Re: Need help building a desktop gaming computer

said by Maven:

The 7850 recommends a minimum of 500W PSU, which is what I would be getting as per the build Krisnatharok suggested.

Wouldn't I need to upgrade the PSU?

No. With that build, you will be using a MAX of 300w. They put that in so people with dual power hungry processors/16 sticks of RAM, and 4 hard drives won't complain when their new video card finally pushes them over the edge.

Long story short - your 500w PSU will be enough for any under $400 single card on the market with that build.

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada

1 recommendation

reply to Maven

The order is complete!

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-8GAO

Fractal Design Arc Mini Black High Performance PC Computer Case w/ USB 3.0 and 3 Fractal Design Silent Fans

Intel Core i3-3220 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor ...

ASRock Z77M LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100358L Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 CrossFireX Support Video Card

1 x Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR CX500M 500W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

I know I could have spent a little more for a better video card and processor, but I know I won't be playing heavy-duty games so I stuck with the more quiet components. I'll be playing Blizzard and Maxis games, basically. I figured I would upgrade in a couple of years, and by then maybe games will be able to utilize the power of the i7.

Thanks to everyone, especially Krisnatharok for outlining the build I chose.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
reply to Maven

Keep us posted on how it goes!

Maven
Premium
Canada
reply to Maven

Waiting on the components, they're in the mail.

I was just wondering, would getting an alternative cooling solution be worth it? Since this processor shouldn't run that hot, maybe it would be overkill.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

You should be fine with the stock cooler, but if you want a little extra, get the Hyper 212+ for ~$20.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Maven

I was fine with the stock cooler on an i5-2500k, even heavy gaming - until I started to rip DVD's. That pushed it to the limit and it kept throttling back to avoid overheating itself. A Hyper 212+ took care of that.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

The Sandy Bridge CPUs run a lot cooler than the Ivy Bridge CPUs--but this is an i3, and I just finished a build with one of these, and the stock cooler is fine.

To show you how much hotter the IB chips run, the i5-3450 I used in my stepson's computer was unstable when gaming. I tried reseating the heat sink a couple times, and reapplying TIM, so I just tossed the stock cooler and put an aftermarket one on it.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

xrobertcmx
Premium
join:2001-06-18
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to signmeuptoo

$700? I think it could be done and done well.
$189 for the FX-8350
$149 GTX 650 ti (EVGA) -$10 rebate
$89 GA-970A-D3 motherboard -$10 rebate
$48.99 Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4GB)
$69.99 CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 -$20 rebate ($57.99 at amazon, but no rebate.)
$56.99 SilverStone Precision case (Amazon is the same and ships free)
$39.99 LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X
$49.25 Noctua Ultra Silent CPU Cooler at Amazon.
Total $692.21 and $40 in rebates that I hate so I don't include them in the the total.
This build would be somewhat akin to what I use, I have a higher end motherboard, an Antec P180 case, and a HD6870 graphics card, but the TI I played with at a friends house seemed smoother in Skyrim.
Would still need Windows, 7 is $89.99 at Amazon or $99.99 at NewEgg. Switch to a standard DVD-Rom (, lose the cooler to go stock, won't be as quiet but that would give us a bit. A Rosewill power supply will save $20 and be reliable...and thus Windows is paid for. Pick up the Noctua or similar CPU cooler next paycheck.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

xrobertcmx
Premium
Sterling, VA
reply to Krisnatharok

You left out the OS.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

said by xrobertcmx:

You left out the OS.

Read the OP.

said by Maven:

So far, I have a Windows 8 Pro 64 bit license and a monitor. I need the actual computer, including the case/power supply.

- snip -

I'll be using NCIX.com or newegg.ca

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to xrobertcmx

said by xrobertcmx:

$700? I think it could be done and done well.
$189 for the FX-8350
$149 GTX 650 ti (EVGA) -$10 rebate
$89 GA-970A-D3 motherboard -$10 rebate
$48.99 Crucial Ballistix 8GB (2x4GB)
$69.99 CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 -$20 rebate ($57.99 at amazon, but no rebate.)
$56.99 SilverStone Precision case (Amazon is the same and ships free)
$39.99 LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X
$49.25 Noctua Ultra Silent CPU Cooler at Amazon.
Total $692.21 and $40 in rebates that I hate so I don't include them in the the total.
This build would be somewhat akin to what I use, I have a higher end motherboard, an Antec P180 case, and a HD6870 graphics card, but the TI I played with at a friends house seemed smoother in Skyrim.
Would still need Windows, 7 is $89.99 at Amazon or $99.99 at NewEgg. Switch to a standard DVD-Rom (, lose the cooler to go stock, won't be as quiet but that would give us a bit. A Rosewill power supply will save $20 and be reliable...and thus Windows is paid for. Pick up the Noctua or similar CPU cooler next paycheck.

That build is not realistic because
1) it's in USD, not CAD as the OP the requested
2) It's using an AMD chip that is as expensive as the i5-3570k but performs much, much more slowly--read up in the thread for the AMD vs. Intel discussion.
3) PSU is way oversized for this build (OP only needs a 400-500w)
4) The CPU cooler is overpriced and won't perform as well as the $20 CM Hyper 212+
5) No room for the BD drive considering the budget (which this drastically overshoots if you try to recreate it on a Canadian site with CAD prices), and you should always have a burner in your rig, so that would add another $20 to the cost

Just my thoughts.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

xrobertcmx
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Well now, don't I feel foolish. I do tend to read before I post, but I missed the bus on this one. That LG doesn't burn. My old Samsung BD-Rom does, and Canadians are getting gouged. Looking at NewEgg.ca now.
For the rest I will grant you all but 2 points, and up it in that I forgot a hard drive. Blame it on a lack of coffee this morning.
The two points in question though are that cooler master has delivered a mixed level of quality. I've had good luck with their cases over the last 10 years, but their coolers have been a bit loud. With Noctua I've seen better results as far as noise levels go.
The other is CPU performance. I own the FX-8350, it looks to about $5 cheaper then the i5-3870k on newegg.ca so that is negligable and the i5 will be more power efficient. However as most folks put the machines to sleep I never worry about that except in something like my home server or htpc's. (Pentium w/Nvidea or A4)
Looking at benchmarks we have a mixed bag, it frequently meets or exceeds the i5, but it does so most often in multi-threaded applications. Going forward this will be important, more and more software is multi-threaded, and this is increasingly becoming the case with games. I upgrade the CPU about every 2 years, I know most people don't, so looking at the two options I couldn't see recommending an i3 or an i5 if down the road it might be the weaker of the two.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

xrobertcmx
Premium
Sterling, VA
reply to Krisnatharok

Your right on the PSU, I would probably drop in a 430/500. That would lower the price a bit too.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to xrobertcmx

said by xrobertcmx:

The other is CPU performance. I own the FX-8350, it looks to about $5 cheaper then the i5-3870k on newegg.ca so that is negligable and the i5 will be more power efficient. However as most folks put the machines to sleep I never worry about that except in something like my home server or htpc's. (Pentium w/Nvidea or A4)
Looking at benchmarks we have a mixed bag, it frequently meets or exceeds the i5, but it does so most often in multi-threaded applications. Going forward this will be important, more and more software is multi-threaded, and this is increasingly becoming the case with games. I upgrade the CPU about every 2 years, I know most people don't, so looking at the two options I couldn't see recommending an i3 or an i5 if down the road it might be the weaker of the two.

I don't have time for a full response here, but this is just incorrect for gaming, on both the cooler and CPU front.

The CM Hyper 212+ is universally recognized as the most efficient aftermarket cooler, and takes the crown in terms of bang for buck. You can always replace the stock fan (I prefer Noctuas or Yate Loons), but the heatsink is top-notch.

Please read up on »Re: Need help building a desktop gaming computer

The i5-3570K is an insanely powerful CPU and can be overclocked easily. Even at stock speeds, it blows away everything AMD regardless of price point. But none of that matters because the OP is squarely in the "$120" price range for his CPU.

Check out the link in the Tom's comparative article for more information.

At the $120 pricepoint, I could see you going for an FX-4170, but that is the *only* pricepoint an AMD chip is viable.
--

xrobertcmx
Premium
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

I did read what you linked to, and I did pay attention to that. I also noted that was Zambezi vs Ivy. Given the price point though, there is no real option, it had to be the i3. That said, the OP bought what he bought, and I wish him luck and hope it works out. Given the spec's it should do a good job.

The CM does look good, reminds me of an Antec I have sitting in the lab. Silent PC didn't like the stock fan but seems to give it a good review. I might have to look into that next time I need one.

I've read the articles, reviews, etc... Sandy, Ivy and I am sure Haswell too, have incredible single threaded performance at their given speeds and I love their power usage. I just can't get away from the simple fact that AMD gives you better multi-threaded performance over all 4 modules at the price point they live at. I've seen it, tested it, and used it. This is why I own one. I also own an i5 laptop instead of trinity, but I use an A10-5700 in my server, and a pentium dual core in one of my htpc's.
--
I voted for Snoopy!

Maven
Premium
Canada

1 edit
reply to Maven

The components arrived in the mail today. I'm eager to assemble it tomorrow.

I decided to stick with the stock cooler. However, would you guys say it is worth applying store bought thermal paste? Or should I just stick with whatever is on there?

As long as I'm in there I may as well cover everything.

EDIT: Answered my own question with a Google search. I'll stick with stock.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA

said by Maven:

The components arrived in the mail today. I'm eager to assemble it tomorrow.

I decided to stick with the stock cooler. However, would you guys say it is worth applying store bought thermal paste? Or should I just stick with whatever is on there?

As long as I'm in there I may as well cover everything.

EDIT: Answered my own question with a Google search. I'll stick with stock.

Good call. If you are using an aftermarket cooler, yes, it's worth it to first CLEAN off anything that is on there then apply a good thermal paste. But with the stock, what comes on it is fine.

Maven
Premium
Canada
reply to Maven

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Hey guys,

I got everything running. The loudest part of this pc is the HDD! Quite happy about this.

Anyway, I have two questions.

In the pic one, you'll notice a couple of cables are resting on the power supply. Is this OK?

In the other pics, I couldn't figure out the HDD racks. I ended up screwing 4 screws at the bottom, but the HDD isn't completely secure. It doesn't move when its in the black rack, though... Just wondering if I did it properly.

Any confirmation is appreciated.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

If no one gets back to you by tomorrow on those case/HDD mounts I'll have a chat to my IT mate who is utilizing a few cases of that maker. The bottom picture looks upside down for the HDD mounts though.

There is this link at Youtube that explains a little.
Fractal Design Arc Midi Installation at HiTechLegion.com
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Maven

said by Maven:

In the pic one, you'll notice a couple of cables are resting on the power supply. Is this OK?

It's fine. It's more of a matter of aesthetics than anything.

said by Maven:

In the other pics, I couldn't figure out the HDD racks. I ended up screwing 4 screws at the bottom, but the HDD isn't completely secure. It doesn't move when its in the black rack, though... Just wondering if I did it properly.

Are the hard drive screws going through the little black grommets? If so, you should be good to go. It's normal to have a little bit of movement with them, the grommets help with minimizing vibrations.
--
KI6RIT

Maven
Premium
Canada

Got it, the HDD is secured. Thanks all.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Make sure you do your cable management first. There's a high mental barrier against completely tearing apart a functional computer to change the wiring. Zip-ties are your friend!
--

Maven
Premium
Canada

Why is cable management important? My computer runs pretty cool. Is it just for aesthetics?

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

Depending on the situation, it can be for both reasons.
--
KI6RIT

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Maven

said by Maven:

Why is cable management important? My computer runs pretty cool. Is it just for aesthetics?

Take it from the King of cable-mismanagement, you want to have properly organized cables to you can see where and how everything is connected, and you don't want your cables to obstruct moving parts like fan blades.

There's nothing more annoying than realizing you forgot to connect your front panel headphone jack, opening up your case to connect them, and having to shove aside a bunch cables while holding a flashlight in your mouth shoving the cables aside with one hand and snaking your tiny fp connector onto the header with sweaty trembling fingers.

Bonus points if you've had over six cups of coffee that day or a couple of beers before you start hooking this up.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have