dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat

Netflix Super HD: Will Start support this ?

hi Rocca:

Noticed on the dslreports homepage, that Netflix is starting to offer Super HD. According to them, an ISP has to sign a partnership with them to offer this.

I know this is already supported on the Teksavvy network. Are there any plans or consideration for Start to sign a partnership with Netflix to offer Super HD and 3D Streams ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

1 recommendation

rocca

Premium Member

We already see them through OCN.

»signup.netflix.com/superhd

...should show "Your Internet Provider is ready for Super HD!"

silvercat

silvercat

Ah, i see

I was using Unblock-US's DNS server. Thanks for the quick response

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to silvercat

MVM

to silvercat
Ooohhh, this is going to mean we only get SuperHD on the Canadian Netflix, isn't it. I'm sure my server provider isn't peering with Netflix :P

silvercat

silvercat

Yeah, unfortunately, i don't see a way around that.

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat
Click for full size
Cool!

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
yeah sucks as I don't even bother with the cdn netflix but a few times
olesz
join:2007-02-19
Toronto, ON

olesz to silvercat

to silvercat
Netflix is already looking at Ultra-HD 4K Streaming

»gizmodo.com/5974327/netf ··· good-yet

Also does anyone know if Acanac/Distributel is OCN connected?

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat
honestly current netflix HD looks just ok as you can see backgrounds get fizzy in HD video all the time. If they could make something look like the 720P BR I download I'd be happy.

pstewart
Premium Member
join:2005-10-12
Peterborough, ON

pstewart

Premium Member

Up until now, most of my Netflix has been 720P and tonight I checked out a couple of things in 1080P with Netflix HD ... definately not as good as Bluray but pretty damn impressive.

If you are talking about fizzy it sound like a bandwidth issue between you and the closest Netflix source...

Paul
pstewart

pstewart to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Ooohhh, this is going to mean we only get SuperHD on the Canadian Netflix, isn't it. I'm sure my server provider isn't peering with Netflix :P

It doesn't matter if they are peering (although it definately helps a LOT) - it matters if they have OpenConnect appliances in their network. Having said that, the preference is to fill the appliances through peering vs transit where ever possible.

tambalamba
@start.ca

tambalamba

Anon

this doesnt support windows 7 ? and using firefox, how can i know what quality i am getting?

tnx
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to TOPDAWG

to TOPDAWG
said by TOPDAWG:

honestly current netflix HD looks just ok as you can see backgrounds get fizzy in HD video all the time. If they could make something look like the 720P BR I download I'd be happy.

Netflix already has 1080p streams but they also white list which devices are able to play 1080p streams even when the hardware is capable of playing 1080p content. This is just poor and confusing marketing for re-encoded 1080p streams with higher quality.
markf
join:2008-01-24
Scarborough, ON

markf to silvercat

to silvercat
Are all the HD streams now Super HD if supported by the provider?

If not, how we know which ones are?
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by markf:

No, they're still re-encoding content.

The player interface tells you just as it does for HD and 5.1 sound.

silvercat

silvercat to markf

to markf
said by markf:

Well on the Roku, you can't tell which shows / movies are HD or Super HD. For me the only way i could determine that was to watch the real-time Bandwidth meter in Tomato. A "regular" HD stream would play at around 4 mbit/sec, and a Super HD stream would play at around 7 mbit/sec.

One thing's for sure: i hope the CRTC will lower wholesale rates for IISP's soon, because even the 400 GB cap that Start offers on their Pro Cable Internet package won't be enough, especially if you have multiple residents in a dwelling watching Super HD streams simultaneously, and consuming a lot of bandwidth.
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime to silvercat

to silvercat
Your Internet Provider is part of the Open Connect network, a free partnership with Netflix. Netflix will automatically play movies and TV shows in Super HD on a supported device if your connection is fast enough.

This is illegal tbh. Rogers does not offer enough bandwidth for this type of service... I mean wtf.. Yeah speeds no problem.. But just because I can download a movie in 10 seconds does not mean I have the bandwidth to actually do it...
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by TechChime:

This is illegal tbh. Rogers does not offer enough bandwidth for this type of service... I mean wtf.. Yeah speeds no problem.. But just because I can download a movie in 10 seconds does not mean I have the bandwidth to actually do it...

illegal? Crazy much.

Rogers does not even have tiers that could not use this new encoding profile.

34764170 (banned) to silvercat

to silvercat
said by silvercat:

One thing's for sure: i hope the CRTC will lower wholesale rates for IISP's soon, because even the 400 GB cap that Start offers on their Pro Cable Internet package won't be enough, especially if you have multiple residents in a dwelling watching Super HD streams simultaneously, and consuming a lot of bandwidth.

That's for sure. The rates that were settled upon were insane and not realistic of any real world costs for delivering the bits across their respective networks.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat
The hell just tested it and the PS3 is showing I'm getting High SD. WTF I know that is wrong as I got Up to 10Mbps download/2 Mbps upload from rogers so I should have no issue getting super HD at least I guess I'm good. I guess the PS3 is not telling me the right video cause it damn sure looks nice.

The best test is captain america if you ask me as the opening with the dark and snow blowing really shows the short coming of netflix as it's a bit fizzy and you can see pixels like mad.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

I find that it progressess during the show. Often the first minute or so it doesn't get past High SD. But then it somehow decides I'm worthy and I get into the medium and high HD.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned)

said by graniterock:

I find that it progressess during the show. Often the first minute or so it doesn't get past High SD. But then it somehow decides I'm worthy and I get into the medium and high HD.

The Netflix player dynamically adjusts the quality of the content based on the Internet connections conditions.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
A long while ago Netflix turned off HD as default. If you aren't getting HD at all make sure to double check the quality settings by logging in on a PC.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

yeah I got it set to the best. just seems the PS3 does not want to tell me the real video I'm getting.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to TOPDAWG

Premium Member

to TOPDAWG
If you see pixels, it's had the snot compressed out of it

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat
how odd my PS3 just says I I get high SD I mean the picture is in HD for sure so no idea if I'm getting super HD or not. Does it say super HD when you play the video and look at the video info on PS3?
DSL_Ricer
Premium Member
join:2007-07-22

DSL_Ricer

Premium Member

High/SD is DVD res. You'd be surprised at how good it looks for SD. But no, it's not HD.

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG

Premium Member

well I know I can do the HD so no reason that would change. I'd guess it's the app being buggy on PS3. When I use my VPN to watch US netflix it shows HD but won't when watching cdn netflix without the VPN.

Meh buggy is buggy I guess.
34764170 (banned)
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to DSL_Ricer

to DSL_Ricer
said by DSL_Ricer:

High/SD is DVD res. You'd be surprised at how good it looks for SD. But no, it's not HD.

It is decent for how much compression they're using, but it is not "good".

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to silvercat

MVM

to silvercat
SD on the PC client is Microsoft VC1AP running at 1750 Kbps for video. The resolution is a tad low, and Silverlight has a very poor quality upscaling filter (it's not bicubic, so it can look a bit pixely). That's high enough to generally avoid any artifacting, although there can be some detail loss in high motion scenes. Netflix is variable bitrate, though.

Then again, VC-1 has in-loop deblocking, so like h.264 you'd never see blocking artifacts anyhow.

When introduced, VC-1 was only slightly worse than h.264, but since then, VC-1 AP was defined that makes it a heck of a lot more similar to h.264, and also h.264 encoders like x264 have gotten enormously better.