share rss forum feed

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to Guspaz

Re: Netflix Super HD: Will Start support this ?

said by Guspaz:

All those third-party platforms are probably very similar in implementation; HTML5 interface using h.264 to stream. The Win8 app has more in common with the PS3 version than the Silverlight browser version.

Hmm. But why do they use Silverlight for the browser version? I thought it was the DRM these companies love about it (although it is a capable streaming platform..for clients with silverlight support anyways).

So what do you think is holding them back from using HTML5 in the browser, or at least offering at as an option? Perhaps browser support just isn't there yet? Or perhaps the fact that many browsers are more open than closed-source apps and it would be easier to divert the stream?

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to silvercat
They probably use HTML5 for the interface. For the streaming part, it's just because HTML5-based streaming stuff isn't quite there yet. DRM is the sticking point. Netflix has been actively engaged with the working group that's trying to figure out how to do DRM directly in the browser, but nobody has agreed on anything yet. As such, they require the use of a plugin of some kind.

There aren't a lot of options that are cross-browser. There's Flash, there's Silverlight, there's Java... Of the three, Silverlight was the only real option when Netflix first implemented their current platform. Flash's streaming and dynamic bitrate changing support was pretty poor at the time, and I'm not sure if they've even caught up to Silverlight yet in that regard.

Before Silverlight, I believe they embedded Windows Media Player.

The only other solution, really, is for Netflix to do their own plugin. The problem is that the browser vendors can't even agree on a plugin format at this point. Most browsers support NPAPI, the plugin format used since Netscape 2.0. Chrome is migrating to an enhancement of that called PPAPI, but ironically despite the fact that NPAPI is intended to simplify cross-platform compatibility, Mozilla has refused to adopt it. And IE is still doing their own thing at this point.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
said by Guspaz:

Before Silverlight, I believe they embedded Windows Media Player.

Oh man i remember this practice. So much ugly and terrible.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to silvercat
so when h265 comes out
and it can literally give same quality at half the size won't this then be what netflix wants to do is toss out that ....and then we all just enjoy and less bandwidth