uniqs

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to MSauk

MVM

to MSauk

Re: Triple Play ordered, which modem to use?

Don't bother right now. You can't just use any modem when you have phone service from Comcast. They used to have a deal with Best Buy where you could buy (at full retail $$) a modem and have it installed. It would take 2-3 years to pay off. From what I've been reading, the program is either dead now or being phased out.

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

I already have the 6120 but there not a place to have a phone line coming from it. The 7 bucks is for a modem with that ability.

Is there not modems like that besides what Comcast offers?
bgoodbody
Bill G
join:2002-05-08
North Truro, MA
Netgear WNR3500L

bgoodbody

You must have an eMTA usually from ARRIS if you have phone service from Comcast. They charge 7$ per month for the modem which also does a great Job with Internet.

As previously mentions some Best Buys can sell you one (About 150). In some areas Comcast also sells them, but remember if you buy one its yours and any problems are your problems.

I have used the ARRIS for about 3 years and am now on a BLAST Speed Tier which gives me 50 down and 10 up and the Arris works like a charm. It has a 1Gbps Ethernet port.

You want to be both DOCSIS 3.0 and IPv6 compliant

MSauk
MSauk
Premium Member
join:2002-01-17
Sandy, UT

MSauk

Premium Member

said by bgoodbody:

You must have an eMTA usually from ARRIS if you have phone service from Comcast. They charge 7$ per month for the modem which also does a great Job with Internet.

As previously mentions some Best Buys can sell you one (About 150). In some areas Comcast also sells them, but remember if you buy one its yours and any problems are your problems.

I have used the ARRIS for about 3 years and am now on a BLAST Speed Tier which gives me 50 down and 10 up and the Arris works like a charm. It has a 1Gbps Ethernet port.

You want to be both DOCSIS 3.0 and IPv6 compliant

Perfect, I will just stick with the one they throw on my line. Put the one I have now on vacation.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

But, you can't just simply buy an eMTA and use it. Comcast is VERY picky about eMTA's, supposed due to e911 issues. If you cannot do it through BestBuy, they will probably not provision any eMTA you buy, at least not the phone part.
chewch99
join:2008-04-20
united state

chewch99

said by andyross:

But, you can't just simply buy an eMTA and use it. Comcast is VERY picky about eMTA's, supposed due to e911 issues. If you cannot do it through BestBuy, they will probably not provision any eMTA you buy, at least not the phone part.

This is correct. I work for Comcast directly in a Best Buy store. The only place you can buy the modem is inside a best buy with a Comcast Connection Center. If you buy it anywhere else they will not provision it. The tech or dispatch can not get it provisioned for a account. The modem has to be provisioned through a chat link only the Connection center reps have access to.

If you somehow find a Arris TM722G/CT online cheaper than 149.99 you can bring it to a Best Buy w/ Comcast and ask them to add it to the account. It has to be brand new (not used) and only that exact model. I've already tried getting a different model provisioned for a Customer and they would not do it.