spc
uniqs
LordKronos
join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI

LordKronos to ropeguru

to ropeguru

Re: Congrats WOW You're going to make the news

Actually, yes it will. Digital cable is really just a data stream. It is packetized data. There's really little difference in the way the TV signal and internet data are transmitted, other than that the TV is being broadcast continually and is a 1 way protocol.
Because of the similarity, cable companies can save a lot of money by having a single set of hardware that handles transmission of everything.
levis76
join:2013-01-06

levis76

Saving a lot of money isn't worth pissing off your entire customer base. Whatever it is that is insufficient or lacking needs to be addressed. None of the other companies are having these same issues. Up till a few weeks ago I had U-Verse and the service was fine, I switched because I like WOW! or at least I like the memory of what WOW! used to be. My neighbor has Comcast, he hasn't had any issues for as long as he can remember. Whatever it is, fix it already.
LordKronos
Dearborn Heights, MI

LordKronos

Saving money has nothing to do with the problems customers have experienced. It's not like this was something brand new that they just installed. It's merely a configuration issue. I work in IT, and I've seen this type of thing happen a number of times. You rebuild/redesign a system/network to make it more robust and perform better, but it's difficult to anticipate everything. You have load problems and you spend a few days or weeks (or god forbid, longer) optimizing and retuning everything. I imagine they're going through the same sort of thing.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to LordKronos

to LordKronos
said by LordKronos:

Actually, yes it will. Digital cable is really just a data stream. It is packetized data. There's really little difference in the way the TV signal and internet data are transmitted, other than that the TV is being broadcast continually and is a 1 way protocol.
Because of the similarity, cable companies can save a lot of money by having a single set of hardware that handles transmission of everything.

no actually it does not affect digital cable as they are on two totally different frequency and each 6MHz slice of spectrum is modulated separately at the headend and then combined on the fiber at the headend but they are still independent frequencies once the light from the fiber is converted to Radio frequencies.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by motorola870:

said by LordKronos:

no actually it does not affect digital cable as they are on two totally different frequency and each 6MHz slice of spectrum is modulated separately at the headend and then combined on the fiber at the headend but they are still independent frequencies once the light from the fiber is converted to Radio frequencies.

Wxactly!!
LordKronos
Dearborn Heights, MI

LordKronos

Now answer this: Where does this data (both internet data and digital TV data) exist BEFORE it is modulated into its little slice of spectrum? Qxactly!!

You think WOW transmits all of this data internally, between all of thier different markets, in the form of pre-modulated 6MHz slices of spectrum? Even if every single one of their markets did have the exact same set of channels in the same arrangement, that still wouldn't be very practical.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by LordKronos:

Now answer this: Where does this data (both internet data and digital TV data) exist BEFORE it is modulated into its little slice of spectrum? Qxactly!!

You think WOW transmits all of this data internally, between all of thier different markets, in the form of pre-modulated 6MHz slices of spectrum? Even if every single one of their markets did have the exact same set of channels in the same arrangement, that still wouldn't be very practical.

No, but the internet traffic and the video traffic get separated out to different systems. Go do your research before you start spouting how things are done.