uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9
reply to jimboe

Re: VPN providers being sued?

Well yea, that's the question. They claim to not keep logs, but which can you trust. I was looking seriously at IBVPN, but when I went to check out they said that if you are using another VPN or anon service during the check out your purchase will be flagged as fraud, and canceled. Of course they will see my real IP when I connect, but why do they demand it during purchase?
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

Probably to protect from fraudsters.. aka.. people who want to commit fraud sign up already ‘hiding’

If it bothers you so much.. go signup from a mcdonalds or wireless café..

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

I just though it was a bit interesting. Like I said, they'll have my real IP every time I connect. Anyone know how well such a service works?. Why don't the AA's(asses) go after the VPN providers, especially ones like IBVPN who advertise Bittorrent friendly?
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

pb5k
Can't Triforce
Premium
join:2005-11-16
Glendale, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

said by Rexter:

Why don't the AA's(asses) go after the VPN providers, especially ones like IBVPN who advertise Bittorrent friendly?

I'm not totally sure, and for all we know, some VPNs are being sued right now....but my best guess is because any VPN has significant applications for non-infringing use (anonymity, bypassing ISP/national censors, accessing data normally only available to users in a certain country (hulu), etc.). I believe this is the logic that saved the Betamax format in the 1980s.

Even if someone signs up for a VPN that bills itself as "torrent-friendly", it's hard to prove in court that the entire userbase is using it for illegal filesharing.

And, there is lower-lying fruit out there at the moment (warez bulletin boards, cyberlockers, etc.)
--
"I'm just a human being trying to make it in a world that is very rapidly losing its understanding of being human." - John Trudell

knarf829

join:2007-06-02
kudos:1
reply to Rexter

said by Rexter:

Well yea, that's the question. They claim to not keep logs, but which can you trust

»torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-provi···-111007/