spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

stinerman

@wideopenwest.com

WOW starting to support IPv6?

I logged into my modem/router and noticed that the firmware was upgraded some time recently because now there are settings for DHCPv6 in both the LAN and WAN tabs of the router configuration web page...but I don't have an IPv6 address.

Does anyone have any idea when they might start supporting it?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
Premium,MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

I'd also like to hear of any plans. After lots of awareness events the last few years it took a (totally expected) dive in activity since nothing is driving it very hard.

Little by little, equipment is catching up to IPv6 - like in that new modem firmware rev. But the infrastructure is another story altogether.

The IPv6 address space is awesomely massive. It looks like typical ISP customers will EACH get as many addresses as the entire IPv4 internet has now.

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:32

1 recommendation

IPv6 is in the works, as it is something that has to get done. There's no set date on when it starts publicly though.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI

1 recommendation

reply to stinerman

It's probably something that will happen once WOW runs out of free IPv4 addresses in their dhcp pool. Who knows when that will happen though...

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI

1 recommendation

reply to stinerman

nice to hear, long over due

DeanD

join:2013-03-22
48067-3579

1 recommendation

reply to WOW_Dan

Well, allegedly, a certain well known competitor to WOW officially has rolled out IPv6, on all devices of a certain brand. I had them. They talked about it. They never actually had IPv6. Not in Michigan. I did in fact drop them and return to WOW because their aggressive price tactics and marketing. I like WOW a lot better. With wow I can jump from Linux to Windows without having the reboot the cable box. But I do wish WOW would make a public statement about their IPv6 plans. All they really have to do it seems to me is contact people who have shown an interest, implement 6rd, give people hardware that works with it, and connect up to established V6 providers (HE, NTT/Verio). Something like that.

sllywhtboy

join:2001-11-13
Madison Heights, MI

1 recommendation

my mom has comcast in the detroit area with a basic cable modem and a linksys e1200 router. both support ipv6 and hand out ipv6 addresses to the lan.

DeanD

48067-3579
reply to WOW_Dan

said by WOW_Dan:

IPv6 is in the works, as it is something that has to get done. There's no set date on when it starts publicly though.

could it be .... never?

indigoblu3

join:2004-03-14
Arlington Heights, IL

1 recommendation

harsh comment, I am sure engineers like Dan want to get it done as soon as possible. Upgrading large heterogeneous networks to support IPv6 is not as easy as it sounds...no easy button :-(

On the other hand, it would be cool if WOW would let Dan provide more information about the process or publish more engineering information blog style ( similar to Comcast's IPv6 migration blog ).

Dan, I'm fascinated by the logistics of running a large ISP as other are, and appreciate you responding here. IPv6 and 100Mbit by 2014 please

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

said by indigoblu3:

Dan, I'm fascinated by the logistics of running a large ISP as other are, and appreciate you responding here. IPv6 and 100Mbit by 2014 please

I'd like to see this too, but I don't even have the details yet unfortunately. When I learn something, and am allowed to talk about it, I will let you guys know.

DeanD

48067-3579

MAP : Solving IPv6 Deployment and IPv4 Address Exhaustion without Stateful CGN

Live Webcast, June 4, 2013

8:00am PT
11:00am ET

This webinar presents a technical overview of MAP (Mapping Address + Port) technology. We will explain MAP deployment scenarios, design alternatives, addressing plan, and configuration options.
Network operators (e.g. ISPs) who are providing Internet access to wireline residential customers are relying on IPv4 as the underlying network technology. Unfortunately the pool of IPv4 addresses are being exhausted which is hindering further growth of the customer base and connection of more devices.
While IPv6 is necessary for the future, IPv6 alone is not a viable option because a significant portion of content and applications are still on IPv4 Internet only. This means that operators MUST maintain IPv4 connectivity while providing native IPv6 Internet access service to their wireline subscribers.
This session will discuss strategies to share IPv4 addresses via IPv6, leveraging an IPv6 enabled access network. There are few options available (DS-Lite, NAT64, MAP), each have their pros & cons, but we believe MAP has the most potential from a scalability , performance and, network ubiquity standpoint.
We will also provide tools that will help planning and design of MAP solutions.

Agenda

June 4th, 2013 8AMPT-9AMPT

Need Help? Report problems or request assistance: Help Desk.

Cisco only privacy policy: You are being invited to attend a Cisco-sponsored event. By providing your contact details, a representative may contact you regarding this event. All personal information will be handled in accordance with Cisco's privacy notice.

ryan3531

join:2012-09-23
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

1 recommendation

reply to WOW_Dan

WOW_Dan, I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd be interested in being an IPv6 beta tester. Is there a way to sign up or otherwise formally indicate interest in such a testing program? If not, please consider this a friendly suggestion

va176thunder

join:2001-09-14
Columbus, OH
reply to stinerman

WOW_Dan - I just switched to Business class WoW, and I'd be willing to beta too if it's available.
--
and the hits just keep on coming.........

WOW_Dan
Premium
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

said by va176thunder:

WOW_Dan - I just switched to Business class WoW, and I'd be willing to beta too if it's available.

If the idea is brought up for customer testing, I will let you guys know. Testing like that is typically done with employees though.

SCSIraidGURU

join:2013-05-24
Saint Clair Shores, MI

Will WOW do Carrier based NAT instead of IPv6?

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 recommendation

said by SCSIraidGURU:

Will WOW do Carrier based NAT instead of IPv6?

Its not a matter of "instead of". They'll have to support IPv6 as well as CGN.

SCSIraidGURU

join:2013-05-24
Saint Clair Shores, MI

Most home routers and many outside the US don't support IPv6. CGN will solve the IPv6 issue without replacing hardware.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by SCSIraidGURU:

Most home routers and many outside the US don't support IPv6. CGN will solve the IPv6 issue without replacing hardware.

Everything you said is false. Pretty much every major router vendor has been shipping routers with IPv6 support for 2+ yrs. You have to start sometime and waiting until everything supports IPv6 is beyond retarded. CGN does not solve anything. It's putting a big band aid on the IPv4 side of things to help things limp along and it'll break lots of things and peoples Internet connections. It'll be the pain that will encourage more IPv6 use so you have a not broken Internet connection.