Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo

join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

Question about an old comcast analog box

A friend of mine was moving from a place she's been living in for years. During the move, she found an old comcast analog box.

I asked her why she still had one since we all received notices that comcast was sending techs out to get those old boxes and exchange them to the digital ones and she said she never received a visit from anyone and she hasn't had comcast cable in years although she still had cable internet from them until a couple years ago. She never used the box since she only had basic cable and the line was connected straight to her TV. That's probably why she completely forgot about it until now.

Here's the question: What should she do with it? She never got a letter or a bill from them when she closed the account, so as far as I can tell, this thing is as good as if it never existed. My first reaction was to tell her to go to the local office and return the thing and get a receipt for her records, but will that open up a can of worms that will be more trouble than it's worth given how long it's been? Or should she just toss it in the trash now that everything is digital anyway?

old_tech

@sbcglobal.net
Just have her take it into the local office, be honest that it was found while cleaning out some old stuff, and that is that. The most that the CSR will say is thank you, and let your friend be on their way.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
Also, how old IS that box? We still have an old DCT-2224 that Comcast still supports (it has NOT been moved to legacy status, despite overlap with existing and much smaller STBs, such as the DCT-7xx, with which it overlaps - I live in the Beltway Region/Prince George's County, MD, and this Moldie Moto Oldie is connected my my 40" LED TV for now until I get off my duff and purchase a Tivo Premiere for it).

I already have a M-card (came from the 42" Philips my new SONY BRAVIA LED replaced), so I'll be off to the wonderful world of pairing.

R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo

join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA
reply to R4M0N
It's one of those old Jerrold CFT-2024 analog cable boxes.

Like this one

»images04.olx.com.br/ui/13/53/98/···guai.jpg

I haven't talked to her since, but I guess I'll tell her to just drop by the local office and leave it there.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to PGHammer
Your box is newer than the box being referenced in this thread. Yours is addressable. That Jerrold box, is not. They are just getting recycled by comcast. Most likely it's not on the account anymore, but its never a bad idea to drop it by your local office.
--
Ex-Comcast Tech at the Beach. I speak for myself, not my former employer.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to R4M0N
she could always put it away somewhere to show her grandkids what kind of box they used to use.

celeritypc
For Lucky Best Wash, Use Mr. Sparkle
Premium
join:2004-05-15
Caldwell, NJ

Remember this?
said by mikedz4:

she could always put it away somewhere to show her grandkids what kind of box they used to use.

wdsnls

join:2003-06-19
Palm City, FL
Yes, had it when I lived on Long Island with Cablevision back in the '80's! It had the switch on the left to select the row of channels and the fine tuning wheel on the right.

bohratom
Jersey Shore is back again.

join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ
reply to R4M0N
Wow that box brings back memories. I remember 20+ years ago paying a kid in school $25 for a little adapter that did wonders for it....

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to celeritypc
Kee-ripes - that IS old.

They weren't unique to Comcast - I've seen them here in Prince George's (this used to be Metrovision of Prince George's County, before being acquired by Jones Intercable, which was itself acquired by Comcast and became part of the Beltway Region - Metrovision used those old JERROLD boxes as well as Comcast of the Delaware Valley); I'm honestly surprised it's not grown mold - Clorox?

celeritypc
For Lucky Best Wash, Use Mr. Sparkle
Premium
join:2004-05-15
Caldwell, NJ
Actually, this is the first box we had when we had cable installed in 1976 and the company was still called Suburban Cablevision.

said by PGHammer:

Kee-ripes - that IS old.

They weren't unique to Comcast - I've seen them here in Prince George's (this used to be Metrovision of Prince George's County, before being acquired by Jones Intercable, which was itself acquired by Comcast and became part of the Beltway Region - Metrovision used those old JERROLD boxes as well as Comcast of the Delaware Valley); I'm honestly surprised it's not grown mold - Clorox?

Pashune
Caps stifle innovation
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Gautier, MS
Reviews:
·Vonage
·CableOne
reply to R4M0N
Wow, talk about a blast from the past. I haven't seen those since the late 90's. My cable co. began phasing out those things in 2000 in favor of digital boxes. I thought they were fascinating.

As others have said, I'm pretty sure it's not even listed on the account anymore. That thing is a relic. You could return it or you could keep it to show the kids later down the line.

I'm pretty sure the local office would have to make a call to corporate to figure out what to do with it first anyway, hahah.

My grandparents had one of these for the old UHF/VHF set in the early 90's or earlier:

--
CableOne 10m/1m