All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to InvalidError

to InvalidError

Re: [Cable] 60/3 now available at Ebox. Teksavvy...???

I clearly was not speaking about the technical standpoint and the technical standpoint is NOT what the ISPs are fighting over. A whole lot of words and technical jargon and yet you don't get it.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by 34764170:

I clearly was not speaking about the technical standpoint and the technical standpoint is NOT what the ISPs are fighting over.

Pick whatever viewpoint you want, it does not change the fundamental fact that aggregated would be cheaper, faster and more reliable than non-aggregated when done correctly and "non-aggregated" still depends on several levels of aggregation between the subscribers, the first-mile and the network within the POI itself. There is effectively no such thing as fully non-aggregated wholesale unless you operate your own CMTS or DSLAMs.

The biggest problem as I stated earlier is that incumbents have a vested interest in making the whole thing a lot more complicated and expensive than it should be regardless of (non-)aggregation.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

1 edit

34764170 (banned)

said by InvalidError:

Pick whatever viewpoint you want, it does not change the fundamental fact that aggregated would be cheaper, faster and more reliable than non-aggregated when done correctly and "non-aggregated" still depends on several levels of aggregation between the subscribers, the first-mile and the network within the POI itself. There is effectively no such thing as fully non-aggregated wholesale unless you operate your own CMTS or DSLAMs.

The biggest problem as I stated earlier is that incumbents have a vested interest in making the whole thing a lot more complicated and expensive than it should be regardless of (non-)aggregation.

Except it is NOT cheaper with the current pricing as mandated by the CRTC. Until the rates come down big time it makes the situation WORSE by going to aggregated. Being faster and more reliable is debatable at best.

Also I'm talking about the current framework and pricing, not theoretical what ifs if we had ideal conditions. I agree that aggregated in theory and under ideal conditions would be better.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by 34764170:

Also I'm talking about the current framework and pricing, not theoretical what ifs if we had ideal conditions.

Ideal conditions? Most of my theorizing is more like a worst-case since everything is a lot more expensive and much less cost-efficient on a (relatively) small scale.

The fact that Bell's and most other incumbents AHSSPI/AGAS rates are between double and triple what they should be is not a theory but you do need to theorize to come to that conclusion first. Otherwise, you are just saying "the price is too high because I feel like I am being ripped off", not quite as strong an argument as saying that most current rates are more than double the estimated cost of building from scratch as a new-entrant if non-aggregated became a mandated service rather than its current end-of-life status.

Since the CRTC decided to mandate only aggregated access only, the CRTC has to ensure tariff rates are at least comparable to such hypothetical scenarios. IIRC, the new CRTC chairman said he was going to look back into it since so many wildly different rates have been filed.