how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fiosprob

@verizon.net

ECB2200 is good, but no guide or VOD?

Hi All,

I just got an Actiontec ECB2200, and it seems to be working fine, but I have 2 problems:

1. When I connect a linksys router to the ECB2200 to extend my wireless, I'm can't get any internet, even with an ethernet cord from my pc to the linksys router.

2. I used the splitter that came with the ECB2200 (5-2150MHz), so that one coax cable goes to my STB, and the other to the ECB2200, but I can't get VOD, guide, or info on the STB!

Do you have any suggestions for resolving this?

Thanks!

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29

What is you primary router?

Are you sure it's an Actiontec ECB2200 and not the Verizon ECB2200V variant?

Does the STB get VOD and guide data without the ECB2200 connected?

Are you connecting the Linksys to the ECB220 via a LAN port or the WAN port on the Linksys.

What is the LAN subnet of the Linksys?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

fiosprob

@hss.edu

I don't have the router info right now, but I did double check that I have the ECB200V variant.

The STB did get the VOD prior to connecting ECB2200V, and when I saw that the VOD wasn't working with everything connected, I removed the splitter and the ECB2200V to have the coax go from the wall to the STB, but the VOD still wasn't working when back in the original configuration.

I called Verizon, and we went through the entire rebooting processing, including powering down the battery backup on the ONT, but still couldn't get back the VOD (or the DVR for that matter). They're sending me a new SBT this week.

Thanks for your suggestions, do you have any other ideas ?!?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Need more information. Please answer the other questions I asked.

•What is you primary router?
•Are you connecting the Linksys to the ECB2200V via a LAN port or the WAN port on the Linksys?
•What is the LAN subnet of the Linksys?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

fiosprob

@verizon.net

Screen shot 1

Screen shot 2
Home now....

- I have an Actiontec MI424-WR Rev D router
- I connected the linksys to the ECB2200V via the Lan port (marked "Internet", not the "1,2,3,4" ports) - it's a linksys WRT54G Ver 5
- I think the LAN subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 - see attached jpgs. (I'm not good beyond run of the mill connectivity issues)

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9

You have multiple problems.

Screenshot 1 says your router is set for Auto DHCP and pulling an IP address 192.168.1.6, while screenshot 2 says your LAN network is 192.168.1.1. Newer firmware versions should catch the conflict.

The port marked Internet is WAN (Wide Area Network) and the ports marked 1,2,3,4 are LAN (Local Area Network). Note the distinction for later when you get to step 6. We'll fix the Linksys problem later.

1. To troubleshoot the STB, first check to see if the STB gets guide data and VOD while connected to the original coax. Power down the STB by unplugging power cord from wall for 30 seconds, then plug it back in. Wait for it to boot up.

2. No data or VOD, let's back up a little more, keep the same STB hookup. Unplug the STB power cord, then reboot the Actiontec router. When lights settle down, power up the STB. Check for data or VOD. You should have it at this point. If not, then the STB or Actiontec is wonky.

3. Power down the STB, connect splitter and one leg to STB, leave the ECB disconnected. Power up STB, check for data and VOD. If no good, the splitter or coax is wonky.

4. Then connect the ECB to the other leg but leave it unpowered. See if the STB gets data and VOD. If not, it's either the ECB or a coax connection problem.

5. At this point nothing is connected to the ethernet side of ECB. If you have VOD while ECB is unpowered, but lose it when powered up, ECB has a problem.

6. If you still have data and VOD while ECB is powered, then you're ready for your router. Do a factory reset on the Linksys first, then connect it using this FAQ. »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?. Where the FAQ says connect the Linksys to the Actiontec, substitute connecting it to the ethernet port on the ECB2200.

If you have trouble with the setup, let us know at what troubleshooting step I've outlined here, or at what FAQ step you have the problem.

Notice that each step or part of the process has a verification that everything is working so far.

Hope this helps.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2

A big problem I'm seeing too is that the Linksys has DHCP enabled and is handing out addresses starting at .100, which is reserved for the STBs. If the Actiontec is also doing DHCP, then there is going to be an IP conflict.

fiosprob

@verizon.net
reply to birdfeedr

I got a new STB from Verizon today

1. STB get guide and VOD when connected to original coax
2. I unplugged STB, rebooted router, and powered up STB, everything working ok
3. Ok too
4. Ok too
5. Ok too
6. Got internet via ECB prior to setting up router.

I set Actiontec to start at 192.168.1.11, and my linksys router IP to 192.168.1.2, with DHCP off, then connected the ECB to the linksys via a LAN port.

Everything is working fine now since I'm sending this via my new wireless connection which is not coming directly from the Actiontec router!

Thanks so much!

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL

Don't use the ECB2200 internal splitter. For some reason it does weird things.

The internal splitter just doesn't work right. It doesn't do VOD or MoCA on the "TV OUT" Coax port.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

Pretty sure the OP was referring to an external splitter.
The ECB2200V doesn't have an internal splitter.
(only one coax connector).
--

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL

I missed that they made a verizon version of that MoCA adapter.