how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dbcn

join:2011-08-07
reply to dbcn

Re: [Speed] slow in somerville, ma

Wow - less than 3Mps tonight. Hardly functional.

dbcn

Less than 5Mbps tonight.

I noticed that if I run the test from the speedtest.net application on my iPad it's less than 4Mbps.

dbcn

Just ran the test this morning & hit 25Mpbs.

Is the issue just peak usage times? I would expect a reasonable decrease in performance during peak usage hours, but an 80% drop?

dbcn

I'm in touch with customer service about the slow down. I hit 22Mbps this morning, but only 3Mpbs last night.

Expand your moderator at work

dbcn

reply to dbcn

Still seeing slow downs. 2 tests tonight - 8pm was ~20Mbps, 10pm is about 5Mbps.

Would appreciate an update, thx.

dbcn

No update?

I'm seeing 5Mpbs down tonight and the RCN customer service is telling me to get a tech visit, but I really don't see how it's my issue as the speeds during the day are fine, but as soon as 8pm rolls around the bandwidth takes a huge hit. I'm also not seeing DIOCS3 or whatever on the speed test page anymore - maybe that was what they had to back out?

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

Just a ~lil~ bump...

Hang in there, dbcn See Profile ~ this may not be updated till they have what to tell you, if anything...

Expand your moderator at work

dbcn

reply to dbcn

another month... I've seen good speeds some days, but mostly it hovers around 10Mpbs. Tonight is less than 3Mbps.

Knightmare

join:2013-05-22
Boston, MA

Boston, MA here and I've also been getting similar speeds to what you posted. Download speed plummets to 12Mbps late afternoon and then 2-3Mbps at night with a 25/2 plan.

I've had this problem before, but it went away. It started back up yesterday or the day before. Was it the same for you?

dbcn

Tonight I'm about ~10Mpbs.

I hadn't noticed it going away permanently... Just every now and then it drops back into the 3Mpbs range.

dbcn

bumping back up - down to 3Mbps tonight.

lilhurricane
Crunchin' For Cures
Premium,Mod
join:2003-01-11
Purple Zone
kudos:57

Sorry you're still experiencing issues this long

dbcn

Thanks for the sympathy lilhurricane.

Down to 2Mbps tonight.

dbcn

Hit 15Mbps tonight - I'd celebrate but after half a year of slow down have no confidence that it'll stay that high. Will check again in an hour.

Fastspeed

@rcn.com

Let me guess u have a docsis2 modem. Get a docsis3 modem and u will have more consistent speeds.I spent $45 on my own on eBay and get advertised speed even during peak time.

dbcn

thx for the reply - I'll check out the modem.

I'm seeing almost 22Mbps this afternoon, so definitely looks like a peak usage issue.