signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to Maven

Re: Need help building a desktop gaming computer

Before I reply, read tomshardware, anandtech, jonnyguru, hardwarecanucks, hardocp...

For example:

»www.tomshardware.com/charts/cpu-···140.html

Maven, we usually use a dealer link to compare hardware lists, that might help, because it attaches price and shipping and other things to the consideration of the quality and features. Plus it is easier for people to look up. Many here use newegg links.

No need to buy an oc video card, get a stock and OC it yerself.

Yes! a K version processor IF you're gonna buy a good heathink, so you can clock to your heart's content.

Too little RAM by today's standards, of course it is fine, but RAM is CHEAP! get 16!

Corsair 80+, good, bronze on the lower end, but good.

Case, I have to look it up, make sure it will have enough room for the video card length and depth, has good inward and outward fannage (side case and top case fans, or at least fan mounts). Has USB 3.0 outlets, other quality features...

MSI, a good brand, Z77 chipset, good idea.

I can't advise as well as gamers here, but that build should be fine. If you compare your build and the other one suggested for 200 less, there is a massive difference in quality, power, and features. Massive.

Few people are building game boxes with AMD any longer. I don't know what reviews he is talking about, as I haven't done reading of late, but at least a while back, Coolermaster power supplies were crap. A 60 dollar motherboard is asking for trouble. I've had 120 dollar mainboards fail. For a gaming build, with a good chipset and features, 150 bucks is the start of the sweet spot in many cases.

Billy is nice to try to help, but I myself defer to more experienced members here, no offense to dunwood, but, well, sorry...

Billy, he was talking about a MEDIUM build, not a bottom of the wine barrel rotgut...

Maybe your build is fine for you, but I wouldn't advise to anyone with his expectations do that build, just too risky.
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Maven
Premium
join:2002-03-12
Canada
Could you recommend one of these "dealer links"? I'm in Canada, so it might complicate things.

MacGyver
Don't Waste Your Energy
Premium,ExMod 2003-05
join:2001-10-14
Canada
kudos:2
Some Canadian computer part sources are:
newegg.ca
canadacomputers.com
ncix.com

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state
kudos:2

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

Before I reply, read tomshardware, anandtech, jonnyguru, hardwarecanucks, hardocp...

For example:

Maven, we usually use a dealer link to compare hardware lists, that might help, because it attaches price and shipping and other things to the consideration of the quality and features. Plus it is easier for people to look up. Many here use newegg links.

Yes! a K version processor IF you're gonna buy a good heathink, so you can clock to your heart's content.

Too little RAM by today's standards, of course it is fine, but RAM is CHEAP! get 16!

Case, I have to look it up, make sure it will have enough room for the video card length and depth, has good inward and outward fannage (side case and top case fans, or at least fan mounts). Has USB 3.0 outlets, other quality features...

I can't advise as well as gamers here, but that build should be fine. If you compare your build and the other one suggested for 200 less, there is a massive difference in quality, power, and features. Massive.

Few people are building game boxes with AMD any longer. I don't know what reviews he is talking about, as I haven't done reading of late, but at least a while back, Coolermaster power supplies were crap. A 60 dollar motherboard is asking for trouble. I've had 120 dollar mainboards fail. For a gaming build, with a good chipset and features, 150 bucks is the start of the sweet spot in many cases.

Billy is nice to try to help, but I myself defer to more experienced members here, no offense to dunwood, but, well, sorry...

Billy, he was talking about a MEDIUM build, not a bottom of the wine barrel rotgut...

Maybe your build is fine for you, but I wouldn't advise to anyone with his expectations do that build, just too risky.

said by signmeuptoo:

For example:

The reviews of the product are on Newegg, where I got it from. The PSU was 4/5 starts with 348 reviews. That wouldn't indicate crap. And AMD is a good value. If an AMD FX-6300 6 core processor will run his games and more just fine, what is the point of getting an intel? Regarding the motherboard, yes I would get something a bit better than what I posted, but again, the ASRock had good reviews. I base my specs off of reviews as well as price. Oh, and I have an AMD processor, older but good graphics card and a $60 motherboard, and I am running games just fine, and have been for 2.5 years. All products, no matter how cheap or expensive fail eventually. Oh and if you OC a video card yourself, you most likely void the warranty.
--
No Victim=No Crime