spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Black Box

join:2002-12-21

Need wireless module

I am looking for an wireless module for for a remote command application. The modules that I'm finding do not give access to the IP stack. They only expose a limited number of TCP/UDP connections. The application requires the use of IPSec and possibly raw sockets (I haven't finished the application design yet).

Ideally, the module is based either on a specialized chip (e.g. Atheros) and only provides wireless Ethernet services such as WPA or uses a generic CPU and the SDK allows running a custom application inside the module.

Any suggestions?
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

Atheros/Ralink/Broadcom 802.11-chipset based modules which have RJ45 port will always have a CPU inside. You just need to choose one that fits your size/power criteria and is supported by an open source project like OpenWRT or madwifi.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:8

1 edit
reply to Black Box

How much bandwidth do you need? Microchip has B and B/G modules that are controlled via SPI, but the included TCP/IP stack is only for their PICs.

Redpine Signals has both B/G/N and A/B/G/N modules that have an integrated processor and TCP/IP stack, but allows the TCP/IP stack to be bypassed when interfaced with via SPI.

Edit: lutful See Profile's post raises a good question: is this for a simple device with nothing more then a microcontroller, or is it a real system running a real OS? What type of interface (async serial, SPI, parallel, SDIO, PCI, PCIe) were you hoping to use?

/M

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA
reply to lutful

said by lutful:

Atheros/Ralink/Broadcom 802.11-chipset based modules which have RJ45 port will always have a CPU inside.

Marvell as well.

Sc0tt
Kneedragger
Premium
join:2000-11-13
Stockholm, NJ
reply to Black Box

I haven't looked too closely at them, but maybe something in the Xbee lineup would work?

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

I suspect that Xbee's firmware will get in the way.

If you like that form factor, please have a look at M2M wireless modules which are supported by the open source uIP stack. For example:
»www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/Wifi_Bee

Black Box

join:2002-12-21
reply to mackey

Thank you all.

It is a relatively simple device but needs to operate in a cryptographically hostile environment, therefore the IPSec requirement on top of WPA. It needs to use a relatively few kB/s, most of them filler packets. Power consumption will not be an issue (always fed from mains) and the WiFi range needs to be 30 to 100 meters (more is better, even more is even better) line of sight without obstructions.

In case of an module that contains a programmable CPU/uC it will need to command the final drive via SPI/UART/I2C (whatever is available) and possibly a couple of GPIO pins for signaling.

I'll take a look at the suggested modules and I'll report back.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?