how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WYCF

join:2005-11-18
Richmond, BC

[BC] Bad TV image

Today I just installed Optik TV and 15M Internet. I found when I watch the HD channel, the image quality is really bad. It's like oil paint when people's face shows up. The skin is lost a lots of detail so it looks ugly! I have two TV, one is SONY (3Y old) and one is LG Smart TV I just purchased. Both has the same issue.

I also have FTA antenna installed. If I switch the input to antenna,the picture is just beautiful.

I know Telus stream video in 720P and the FTA is 1080P, but it can't be such big difference! I also watch 720P mkv movie on the TV and it looks just fine.

I played around the TV picture setting and couldn't fix the image quality issue. Is this a limitation of Telus?

Please help. Thanks.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
Do you have any OptikTv+Internet plans more then 15mbps in your area?

WYCF

Richmond, BC
said by jtl999:

Do you have any OptikTv+Internet plans more then 15mbps in your area?

Yes. So you think this is a speed issue?

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4
Try contacting TELUS after rebooting PVR and modem. Doubt it.

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
reply to WYCF
The boxes don't always start in HD mode. Rebooting modem / box won't typically sort this out. When you watch the HD channels, is the blue HD light coming on? Did the installer change the settings on the box to 720p/1080i? I have mine on 1080i and it works fine.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to WYCF
A picture of the paused TV image if you have a proper camera and can manage to take a good picture, would be helpful in determining if what you're seeing is normal or not.

Some loss of quality and artifacts are expected, after all, the stream is quite compressed.

Without seeing what you're seeing, it's hard to tell whether you have an actual problem, or if you're just seeing the normal compression losses.

WYCF

Richmond, BC
reply to WYCF
Thank you all for the reply. I tried reboot: router, STB. Same issue.

Here are some picture I just shot:
»img850.imageshack.us/img850/6041 ··· 09rm.jpg
»img713.imageshack.us/img713/2125 ··· 11ir.jpg

The next is shot with input from FTA antenna. You can see all the detail texture:
»imageshack.us/a/img836/3575/img0 ··· 0njx.jpg

WYCF

Richmond, BC
reply to nss_tech
said by nss_tech:

The boxes don't always start in HD mode. Rebooting modem / box won't typically sort this out. When you watch the HD channels, is the blue HD light coming on? Did the installer change the settings on the box to 720p/1080i? I have mine on 1080i and it works fine.

Blue light is on.
The STB sets to 720P. (Change to 1080i make no different.)

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
What kind of cable is connecting it to the TV? Coax, Composite, Component or HDMI?

WYCF

Richmond, BC
said by nss_tech:

What kind of cable is connecting it to the TV? Coax, Composite, Component or HDMI?

HDMI

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
I know it's likely not the cable but these boxes have a history with HDMI issues. Do you have a spare cable to test with?

WYCF

Richmond, BC
said by nss_tech:

I know it's likely not the cable but these boxes have a history with HDMI issues. Do you have a spare cable to test with?

Here is my setup:

1. SONY TV --HDMI Cable -- STB PVR --Cat5E--Actiontec
1. LG TV --HDMI Cable -- STB Player--Cat5E--Actiontec

All HDMI cables are v1.4. Change HDMI cable has no effect.

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
That's a good setup. If both boxes have same issue, call in and have them check the connection / line / errors. Personally I'd recommend leaving the boxes set to 1080i as it's worked fine for me with no issues so far.

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC
reply to WYCF
I don't wont anyone to take this the wrong way but I find this tanned skin is a North American thing.For several mouths a year I stay in an overseas country.One see's natural white pink skin.When a USA show is on it always has the tanned skin.
I have always presumed it is the preference that everyone whats?????
Also notice that the older actors never have wrinkles on their faces its as though they have had a smooth mask on
There again maybe that is what the general public wont.
We just have to accept unfortunately majority wins.

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
said by Kruisey:

I don't wont anyone to take this the wrong way but I find this tanned skin is a North American thing.For several mouths a year I stay in an overseas country.One see's natural white pink skin.When a USA show is on it always has the tanned skin.
I have always presumed it is the preference that everyone whats?????
Also notice that the older actors never have wrinkles on their faces its as though they have had a smooth mask on
There again maybe that is what the general public wont.
We just have to accept unfortunately majority wins.

???

Mindman

join:2012-12-10
Merritt, BC
reply to Kruisey
im confused by this reply..

????

WackyGaru

join:2009-02-10
Grande Prairie, AB
It's Kruisey, you just learn to ignore them.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
reply to Mindman
Telus can only transmit what it is given by the different providers.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to Mindman
said by Mindman:

im confused by this reply..

????

Kruisey is approximately 40 years older than the average person on these forums, it's not actually trolling!
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
I will ignore the above comment.
Telus our ISP provider can only transmit the quality of picture supplied to them by their providers. Some good ,some bad.

l_dub

join:2011-06-20
Edmonton, AB
reply to WYCF
said by WYCF:

Today I just installed Optik TV and 15M Internet. I found when I watch the HD channel, the image quality is really bad. It's like oil paint when people's face shows up. The skin is lost a lots of detail so it looks ugly! I have two TV, one is SONY (3Y old) and one is LG Smart TV I just purchased. Both has the same issue.

I also have FTA antenna installed. If I switch the input to antenna,the picture is just beautiful.

I know Telus stream video in 720P and the FTA is 1080P, but it can't be such big difference! I also watch 720P mkv movie on the TV and it looks just fine.

I played around the TV picture setting and couldn't fix the image quality issue. Is this a limitation of Telus?

Please help. Thanks.

I noticed this same issue when I first got Optik. It was like the picture was a giant oil painting. One thing that kind of worked was to turn off "Digital Noise Reduction" on your TV settings (might be called something different on yours). That helped me a lot to make the picture look a lot less blurry.

In the end this is a limitation of Telus, and will continue to be so until they change their compression rates and/or fix their encoders. Essentially, I think the TV is trying to fix the compression artifacts that are coming from the stream and in the end it's becoming a blurry mess. If you shut the noise reduction off, the image will get much sharper but you will notice a lot more pixelation in the picture.

Anyways, hope that helps you. I know it made an improvement in my picture.

WYCF

Richmond, BC
@I_dub,

Thank you for the hint.

I already tried switch off the "Digital Noise Reduction". No help!

I also tried to set some setting about "Motion", still no help.

I'll try again tonight. If not work, I'll contact Telus.

telususer

join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC
reply to WYCF
There is an information section on the Telus box which will show you the speed that it is running at. A 15Mbps connection should provide a sharp picture.

Are you using component or HDMI?

nss_tech

Edmonton AB
said by telususer:

Are you using component or HDMI?

Reading the first page of this thread answers that question already.

said by WYCF:

said by nss_tech:

HDMI

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
I have always been told by Technical services that Telus does not support picture quality from HDMI only componant.
Have always replied the sound is bad with componant.
This has been ongoing for several years now.
Either you have a good picture and rotten sound or a not perfect picture and good sound.
May I add there is a difference also in colour production of input .My personal preference the less intense natural shades used by another overseas country.
Presume we are stuck with the lower picture quality to keep good sound with HDMI.
It probably would be a financial burden for Telus to change the TV boxes to support it.
Yes yet another old biddy remark from me .

WYCF

Richmond, BC
Tried using componant cable. Still the same!

I called Telus and apparently the guy I was talk to don't know much. He told me try to "tune down the color". Anyway, I hangup and start try my self.

I now focused on one TV: the SONY. I found there is a newer firmware so I upgrade my TV to the new firmware. This reset all the settings. So I start fresh. But eventually I gave up!

I tested the speed by using a notebook connect to the same cable that to the STB. I got 16M download (well, I am on 15M plan.)

I am not sure what else I should try, except calling Telus again.

l_dub

Edmonton, AB
reply to telususer
I believe the minimum connection you can have with Telus Optik is 15mbps. Either way, you will not get a different picture based on your connection speed. Everyone should essentially get the same stream quality.

Kruisey, honestly, I can say I didn't notice any difference between HDMI and Component for picture quality. In fact, I had them plugged in at the same time on two different inputs and would switch back and forth and I couldn't tell any difference.

Also, if you like your natural shades, I'm sure there are adjustments you can make to your TV settings to get you your nice European look.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
The image looks like TELUS's TV always does -- compressed to hell.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
reply to l_dub
The few times i have phoned in to Technical Services with a quality of picture issue they always ask if HDMI or Component.
When I say HDMI they say that is the reason switch to Component which they also support.
I am not on the new Fibre Optic its not in my area.Certain those lucky folks will have the better picture .
There again it is a very expensive upgrade which will come in time no doubt.

l_dub

Edmonton, AB
Yes, they officially support component, but it does not mean it's better. It just means that they are willing to help you with your problem because it's within their parameters. If you say HDMI, they say 'we can't help you until you switch it to component'.

The people on the fibre optic connection have the EXACT same image that you get on your connection. Telus's system doesn't discriminate based on the type of connection you have. Everyone gets a 4-6mbps HD stream. They also do not get faster internet (even though their line is capable), they will only get what is available to the regular consumer, which at this time is 50mbps.