uniqs
share rss forum feed

l_dub

join:2011-06-20
Edmonton, AB
reply to WYCF

Re: [BC] Bad TV image

said by WYCF:

Today I just installed Optik TV and 15M Internet. I found when I watch the HD channel, the image quality is really bad. It's like oil paint when people's face shows up. The skin is lost a lots of detail so it looks ugly! I have two TV, one is SONY (3Y old) and one is LG Smart TV I just purchased. Both has the same issue.

I also have FTA antenna installed. If I switch the input to antenna,the picture is just beautiful.

I know Telus stream video in 720P and the FTA is 1080P, but it can't be such big difference! I also watch 720P mkv movie on the TV and it looks just fine.

I played around the TV picture setting and couldn't fix the image quality issue. Is this a limitation of Telus?

Please help. Thanks.

I noticed this same issue when I first got Optik. It was like the picture was a giant oil painting. One thing that kind of worked was to turn off "Digital Noise Reduction" on your TV settings (might be called something different on yours). That helped me a lot to make the picture look a lot less blurry.

In the end this is a limitation of Telus, and will continue to be so until they change their compression rates and/or fix their encoders. Essentially, I think the TV is trying to fix the compression artifacts that are coming from the stream and in the end it's becoming a blurry mess. If you shut the noise reduction off, the image will get much sharper but you will notice a lot more pixelation in the picture.

Anyways, hope that helps you. I know it made an improvement in my picture.

WYCF

join:2005-11-18
Richmond, BC
@I_dub,

Thank you for the hint.

I already tried switch off the "Digital Noise Reduction". No help!

I also tried to set some setting about "Motion", still no help.

I'll try again tonight. If not work, I'll contact Telus.

telususer

join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC
reply to WYCF
There is an information section on the Telus box which will show you the speed that it is running at. A 15Mbps connection should provide a sharp picture.

Are you using component or HDMI?

nss_tech

join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB
said by telususer:

Are you using component or HDMI?

Reading the first page of this thread answers that question already.

said by WYCF:

said by nss_tech:

What kind of cable is connecting it to the TV? Coax, Composite, Component or HDMI?

HDMI

Kruisey

join:2006-12-30
Vancouver, BC
I have always been told by Technical services that Telus does not support picture quality from HDMI only componant.
Have always replied the sound is bad with componant.
This has been ongoing for several years now.
Either you have a good picture and rotten sound or a not perfect picture and good sound.
May I add there is a difference also in colour production of input .My personal preference the less intense natural shades used by another overseas country.
Presume we are stuck with the lower picture quality to keep good sound with HDMI.
It probably would be a financial burden for Telus to change the TV boxes to support it.
Yes yet another old biddy remark from me .

WYCF

Richmond, BC
Tried using componant cable. Still the same!

I called Telus and apparently the guy I was talk to don't know much. He told me try to "tune down the color". Anyway, I hangup and start try my self.

I now focused on one TV: the SONY. I found there is a newer firmware so I upgrade my TV to the new firmware. This reset all the settings. So I start fresh. But eventually I gave up!

I tested the speed by using a notebook connect to the same cable that to the STB. I got 16M download (well, I am on 15M plan.)

I am not sure what else I should try, except calling Telus again.

l_dub

Edmonton, AB
reply to telususer
I believe the minimum connection you can have with Telus Optik is 15mbps. Either way, you will not get a different picture based on your connection speed. Everyone should essentially get the same stream quality.

Kruisey, honestly, I can say I didn't notice any difference between HDMI and Component for picture quality. In fact, I had them plugged in at the same time on two different inputs and would switch back and forth and I couldn't tell any difference.

Also, if you like your natural shades, I'm sure there are adjustments you can make to your TV settings to get you your nice European look.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
The image looks like TELUS's TV always does -- compressed to hell.
--
The more I C, the less I see.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
reply to l_dub
The few times i have phoned in to Technical Services with a quality of picture issue they always ask if HDMI or Component.
When I say HDMI they say that is the reason switch to Component which they also support.
I am not on the new Fibre Optic its not in my area.Certain those lucky folks will have the better picture .
There again it is a very expensive upgrade which will come in time no doubt.

l_dub

Edmonton, AB
Yes, they officially support component, but it does not mean it's better. It just means that they are willing to help you with your problem because it's within their parameters. If you say HDMI, they say 'we can't help you until you switch it to component'.

The people on the fibre optic connection have the EXACT same image that you get on your connection. Telus's system doesn't discriminate based on the type of connection you have. Everyone gets a 4-6mbps HD stream. They also do not get faster internet (even though their line is capable), they will only get what is available to the regular consumer, which at this time is 50mbps.

WYCF

Richmond, BC
More info:

Actually I had Telus TV before about one year ago. It was also on the 15M plan and connected to the same SONY TV using component cable . I noticed that the picture quality was not so good, but it is acceptable. Back then I rent an old model of STB player. I returned the box when I cut the services.

This time the new installed STB box is different box(it has the Cisco logo). I also bought a PVR from Futureshop. The installation technician told me this is a much better box: faster boot up, better HDMI support, etc. The remote is shining new one.

So, should I call Telus and ask for an in-house service and ask the technician bring a old model box?

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
reply to l_dub
I would plug all those wires in if I got decent sound.One only gets the sound from the center only not natural with Components..
Why didnot they have HDMI in the first instance and have the best of both worlds ? In other words TV boxes HDMI compatable ??

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

1 edit
reply to WYCF
Make sure that anything related to dynamic contrast on your TV is turned off. If it is, then welcome to the wonderful picture quality of Optik. Some channels are better than others but its still not very good.

An older box will not help as they are both decoding the same signal, and I don't think Optik is compatible with the older platform anymore.

Despite what Telus says, they are fully HDMI compatible. Its a cop out on their part because they don't want to have to deal with HDCP handshake issues between equipment. But if it works, it is fully supported.

And is not degrading the picture to allow surround sound lol. HDMI has enough bandwidth for 1080p @ 60 fps with 8 channels of uncompressed sound.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
join:2004-05-13
Prince George, BC
kudos:10
reply to Kruisey
Kruisey... component cables are the red, green and blue
If you have another red and white then you have component cables with RCA cables included.
The additional red and white provide stereo sound (left and right audio).
If you want surround sound (so your centre speaker and surround sound speakers work) you must use cables that can carry that sound.
You must only use the red/green/blue for picture (ignore the extra red and white) and then use an optical/toslink cable that goes to your receiver for audio.
If you do this, the audio quality will be identical to using HDMI as it's a digital signal.
While HDMI is cable of better picture quality than component considering Optik has a max resolution of 1080i there is likely to be minimal quality difference in the picture.
The primary benefit of using HDMI (for Optik) is that it's cleaner and easier... one plug instead of four or five.

The reason why HDMI is not the recommended/approved install method with Optik is there are "handshake" issues with it. Basically the TELUS box talks to the TV via the cable when it's used. Sometimes, for some reason, that gets confused and the tv (or the receiver if it's connected that way) can mess up the signal transfer (one will not turn on etc).
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

ruiner

Canada
reply to WYCF
That's a good point, you can use an optical cable along with the component cables if you want 5.1. But unless you're having a lot of trouble getting a picture at all with HDMI there's no reason to use component.

WYCF

Richmond, BC
reply to JammerMan79
Just hang up with Telus. Talked to a lady about this problem. I also mentioned this post and the pictures. She took it to the engineer to discuss for about 15 minutes. Finally she book up a technician come to my house tonight.

Although she warned me that I may got charged for the service if this is not Telus fault. But after she talked to engineers and she said the chance is slim.

So I'll wait the technician and see how to fix it.

Will report back for sure. Stay tuned!

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC
reply to ruiner
said by ruiner:

That's a good point, you can use an optical cable along with the component cables if you want 5.1. But unless you're having a lot of trouble getting a picture at all with HDMI there's no reason to use component.

agreed... try HDMI and switch to component w/optical only if you're having issues
--
I may work for, but do not necessarily represent the views and beliefs of TELUS Communications.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
reply to JammerMan79
Tv in living room just HDMI.In other room tech installed Component plus red and white.
Thank you Jammerman informing me about the optical/toslink cable.
I honestly do believe Telus can only transmit what it is given .Some pictures are super others not so good.
Wonderful improvement none the less from a few years ago when the screen would fill with different colour digital boxes.
Feel Telus has done a great job in a short time considering they were the "New Boy/Girl "on the block for TV.

WYCF

Richmond, BC
reply to WYCF
Telus guy just left. He spent 30min in my house. He saw the picture when he came in. He told me he read the long comment in their system.

He replaced STB. Run a test (cable test)

He used a new component cable + white/red for audio.

He set my tv to movie mode. Tried to modify the setting on the TV but only made it worse.

He kept saying "My job is make sure the cable is working and TV has signal. Replace the box and the cable is all I can do."

I asked "Is there anyone in Telus can help me with the issue?" He said: " I don't know. "

On his way out, he told me that I can cancel the service if I am not satisfied. And he also said something else...well, I don't want expose what he said here.

zajacz

join:2002-09-21
Calgary, AB
kudos:2
Why not, just expose it.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
reply to WYCF
I wonder if this Technician was a Contractor for Telus or a Telus trained permanent employee and member of the TWU?
There is a difference.
Phone back and request one of these guys.

WYCF

Richmond, BC
said by Kruisey:

I wonder if this Technician was a Contractor for Telus or a Telus trained permanent employee and member of the TWU?
There is a difference.
Phone back and request one of these guys.

Hmmmm....

Just noticed that the two guy came to my house have different title printed on their biz card. One is "Authorized Service Provider", another is "Service Technician".

So who is the "Telus trained permanent employee" ?

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC

1 edit
Service Technician.Home Team.Customer Solutions.

caustic

join:2013-01-11
Edmonton, AB
reply to WYCF
Authorized Service Provider is the contractor. The one with Service Technician on his card could be a TELUS employee but could also be a contractor. They're probably both contractors where one is training the other.

It doesn't matter if the technician who visited your home was a "Telus trained permanent employee" (directly employed and trained by TELUS) or contracted through LTS or ATI or what have you. They'll do the exact same thing. The technician will run a BLAST test to check for defects on the outside facilities upto the modem. If there are any issues, usually a bridged tap, he will remove it or refer it to another department for removal. If everything is good outside, he'll arrive at your home and check the demarcation to determine whether or not the existing equipment has been upgraded to the latest pots splitter and surge protection. He'll then check the modem (probably an Actiontec V1000) for a serial code greater than CVGA114* (CVGR and SVGA are fine) and will swap that out as necessary. After that, he'll run a diagnostics test on your STBs and if those tests passes, he has completed his service call effectively. For good measure, he will run another BLAST test before leaving the premise.

The bad image quality is as l_dub stated: bad compression rates and encoding. If you're not experiencing pixelation and/or loss of signal, there's not much else a technician could do other than mess around with your TV settings. Maximize the contrast, lower the backlight, adjust the brightness, turn down the sharpness, etc. Some HD channels will obviously look better than others. Discovery, History, National Geographic usually looks decent for me while others (especially sports) leaves a really bad impression. Replacing the STBs was pointless. He only did that to cover his bases and to prove to you that something was done -- quite unnecessary to say the least.

I honestly believe the care agent you spoke to simply dispatched a technician to rid herself of your questions. You mentioned her placing you on hold to discuss the problem with some engineer. I'm assuming this was a Tier 2 agent. If he happened to run a few diagnostics on your service and found few to no packet loss, it shouldn't have been dispatched. It was practically a waste of your time to sit around for the technician. Calling in again would result in the same.

As for the whole HDMI vs component bit, TELUS originally had technicians install HDMI because of its superior quality over component; but after some upgrades in the mediaroom middleware, there were handshake issues with some TV brands. I've seen problems with Toshiba Regza, Sharp Aquos, and lower-end TV brands such as Dynex and Insignia. What normally happens is the video would constantly black out or no signal altogether or no sound passes to the TV. The TELUS standard may, indeed, be to use component but many technicians will install HDMI for ease and aesthetics. If your technician happen to use components, you could simply request for HDMI and he'll likely give it to you.

Kruisey

Vancouver, BC
The Contracters to Telus always have 'Authorized Service Provider'
on their business card.
They do not not have the same training as the Telus Technicians Home Team,Customer Solutions.
Any problem and complication with TV that the first needs help with should get support via Telus from one of those guys.

pfak
Premium
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC
reply to WYCF
said by WYCF:

On his way out, he told me that I can cancel the service if I am not satisfied. And he also said something else...well, I don't want expose what he said here.

Personally, I would just cancel. TELUS TV looks exactly the same on my TV as it does for you. You're clearly not going to be happy with the signal quality.

I highly suggest you use OTA or Shaw's compressed HD service
--
The more I C, the less I see.

ruiner

Canada
Is Shaw's HD really that much better than Optik? I've heard so many differing opinions I have no idea and I haven't seen their HD cable in a while.

OTA does give you a much nicer picture if you can receive it in your location.

JammerMan79
Premium,VIP
Prince George, BC
said by ruiner:

Is Shaw's HD really that much better than Optik? I've heard so many differing opinions I have no idea and I haven't seen their HD cable in a while.

OTA does give you a much nicer picture if you can receive it in your location.

OTA is going to be better than either service...
from my own experience with Optik and Shaw I've personally found TELUS to be better in both Prince George and Surrey.
Shaw had pixellation issues and the general picture quality was poor. Optik has been much better for me.
That being said, I found TELUS Sat to have the best overall picture quality but Optik came in a close second.
--

WhosTheBosch

join:2009-12-02
reply to WYCF
I believe quality goes like this:

Blu-Ray > OTA > Satellite > Shaw > Optik

Keep in mind that after OTA, the US versions of Satellite, cable and DSL are all better than the Canadian versions. Not sure if there's anything I missed in between.

Symtex

join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC
kudos:21
The quality on Optik aint' that bad at all. Its not blu-ray quality but its not as worst as some made it to be. TELUS is not always responsible for the quality, it all depends of the feed from the broadcaster. I had Satellite before Optik TV and the quality was similar.
--