Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JohnSJ

join:2004-08-14
Lafayette, LA
reply to massysett

Re: No benefit

Folks seem to think that the only limit here is Google's. It's not.

Netflix streams its videos at a set rate according to how each movie you choose to use is encoded. Netflix's encoding tops out about 4.8 Mbps for HD, and a little over 2 Mbps for SD. That's all they need push....except a bit of a buffer at the beginning I suspect. So most of the time it's just coasting at the encoding rate.

So the oddly low numbers for _all_ the providers is just more pronounced for Google Fiber. I suspect that the Google numbers represent pretty near the max for the mix of SD and HD that Netflix subscribers download.

When Netflix feels able to use more bandwidth they will improve the HD codec to a less compressed version and there will be more headroom for FTTH to shine. That would push their HD streaming to around 7 I think. And then there's 3D and later that crazy 4K stuff. They've got good reasons of their own to want Google to look good. Fiber will give them the headroom they want to really improve their service.

(It's worth noticing that Netflix is not waiting on Google or the Muni's to hand them bandwidth on a platter. It is right now building its own CDN to get it's content _inside_ the big networks like Cox and Comcast--Charter just signed on�€”and is only offering their least compressed HD and 3D catalogs over ISPs who have already joined their free to the ISP CDN by putting content on a cache inside their network or pull directly from a big, fast peering center. Look up "open connect." You'll need a minimum of 7 megs to use it even if your ISP joins up and puts a cache next door.)