spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Frankweii
join:2013-01-08
Fortville, IN

Frankweii

[Embarq] Modem-Router

I have a EQ-660HW ADSL Gateway unit installed by Embarq now Century Link and they said it is one of their outdated units and now they lease or sell a PK5001Z. My question is this unit is still working fine but because of I-phones and wireless units in the house the signal is weak in spots can the antenna be upgraded. and what are the specs that I need. Thank You

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

If the antenna can be easily removed, if can be upgraded. How well the upgrade works will be another issue. A quick search shows there are no antennas for it listed on ebay, so I doubt it can be easily upgraded.

If you are getting the speed you pay for, I would recommend just turning off the wireless, putting the modem in bridge mode, and getting a new wireless router.

If you want a new modem/router unit, pick up an ActionTec C1000A in the CenturyLink packaging at Best Buy for $99. You can also rent a modem from CL for about $5/month.
Frankweii
Fortville, IN

Frankweii

Thank you, Mr. Bill, First I will check the antenna .
2. how do I turn off the wireless and put it in bridge mode, and I guess you mean putting the wireless router somewhere else in the house, if so, do I use a ethernet outlet that is already connected to something and then connect back into the new unit.
3. The new ActionTec is that much stronger than what I have as far as the WiFI signal going out?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

I have not logged into a 660HW for a long time. There should be an option under wireless settings to disable the wireless. Under the Network settings should be an option to change from Routing Mode to Bridge mode. Once in Bridge mode, you can use any router that you prefer. The placement of the router should be as high in the air as possible near the center of the area that needs wireless coverage. If the new location is very far from the current location, and you have other devices that connect by wire to the router, it may pose a bit of a problem getting everything connected.

If the router is working okay, and the problem is simply wireless coverage, it would probably be easier to just add a second access point to the network. Configure the security (SSID and Password) the same as the existing router, place the AP at the other end of the house, and find a way to connect by cable to the existing router.

The ActionTec C1000A is supposed to have good wireless coverage. I can't really say, as mine is in bridge mode with the wireless disabled. I use a separate router and multiple access points to provide full coverage for the house and backyard.
Frankweii
Fortville, IN

Frankweii

Thanks again Mr. Bill, The Antenna idea is out but I made a U shape shield out of a box end and wrapped with aluminum wrap and have a two bar signal throughout the 2nd floor,but the area where the x-box and weii player are the signal is weak, so if I understand correctly, I buy a wireless router with a couple of ports, use my ethernet outlet behind the TV which is now for Direct TV and goes directly to the main router, unplug Direct TV, plug in new router to that outlet and enter same codes, plug Direct TV into new router and now will have wireless also from that point?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Correct. You will need to disable the DHCP server on the second router, and connect the cable coming from the main router to a LAN port (not the WAN port). This will turn the second router into an access point.

Before that, though, I would connect the cable from the main router to the WAN port and connect a PC to the LAN port. Then login and do a firmware update to the new router. Then enter the wireless settings (SSID and security key), then disable the DHCP server. Then connect it behind the TV with the cables going to the LAN ports.

An ASUS RT-N12/B1 would probably work well. It is about $40, and is easily configured as an AP (has a switch on the back to select mode). Any wireless router will work, when configured as described above.
Frankweii
Fortville, IN

Frankweii

Hi again Mr Bill, thanks for info so far, I purchased a Netgear N330 Wireless router, so ready to tackle task ahead, see if I got this right, First I have to set the EQ-660HW to bridge mode and then configure the new modem with a firmware update,then enter the original SSID and password from EQ-660HW into the Netgear and disable the DHCP on the Netgear, and to do this I hook up a cable to wall outlet and to the internet outlet of Netgear and a cable from lan port to the computer to change and update. after that is accomplished I disconnect computer and switch cable from the wall out of internet port to lan port and every thing should be ready to go.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

Since you're adding the new router as a second access point to extend coverage, leave the 660HW in routing mode.

Update the firmware on the new router first, then set the SSID and security key, give it a fixed LAN IP, then disable DHCP, then connect behind the TV.

You'll want to set the LAN IP to a static number like .3 or .253 so you can reach it later to make any updates. This should be on the same page where you disable DHCP. The default will be 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Set it in the same range as on the current LAN, just change the digit after the last decimal.