uniqs

Zero5
join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA

Zero5 to Reyr

to Reyr

Re: Fios Media Server

»www.engadget.com/2013/01 ··· ands-on/

Engadget got their hands on the VMS and the IPC. The interesting bit the article mentions that I hadn't read anywhere yet was that two VMS can be used in the same home...
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

said by Zero5:

Engadget got their hands on the VMS and the IPC. The interesting bit the article mentions that I hadn't read anywhere yet was that two VMS can be used in the same home...

Of coure the article also says you can connect 5 satellite boxes to the server, yet the video clearly shows only 4.
zippoboy7
join:2006-06-18
USA

zippoboy7 to Zero5

to Zero5
said by Zero5:

This part concerns me, "What's odd is that the IPC1100 client has a tuner, but it's unused. Instead, the client relies on the server's tuner for live TV." What this now means is when the DVR decides to die (As mine have 3 times since I have had it for 3 years) all your TVs are dead for however long it takes to get a replacement box. Seems stupid to include a tuner but not use it.
JPL
Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

JPL

Premium Member

I can guess why they have a built-in tuner. I'm guessing that eventually those satellite boxes will become the standard stand-alone STB. That way, if you have the VMS, they tune off the DVR (the reason for that, btw, is so you can do things like pause live TV), but if you don't, then they can tune directly. Just a guess.
OwlSaver
OwlSaver
Premium Member
join:2005-01-30
Berwyn, PA

OwlSaver

Premium Member

They may also need the tuner for decding of content and rules around security. I only say this because TVs with tuners cost so much more than monitors. But a monitor without a tuner cannot be connected to an STB over HDMI. At least that is my experience. It would be great if you could buy a 50" monitor with no tuner and connect it to your STB.
jmcging
join:2005-08-04
Columbia, MD

jmcging to zippoboy7

to zippoboy7
I agree. If I understand correctly, if you have 5 sets watching over the air then you can only record 1 show because 5 of the 6 server tuners are in use. In my case, I have 5 HDTVs, with 3 HDDVRs and 2 HD STBs and 4 of the 5 sets will be on evenings and weekends, with mixed watching recordings and live tv. I get that playing back a recorded show doesn't use a tuner, but watching anything live does, and pulls a tuner from DVR use. Due to the tendency of TV shows to start a minute early or run a minute long, even with 6 tuners sometimes it's impossible to record a show (without going full manual) because the timing of the shows preceeding being recorded on any specific DVR keeps the DVR from recording. Or someone prefers live TV on a specifc set at a specific time when you need the 2nd tuner to record means you shift the recording duty to an unused DVR, which is making life too complicated. And we have this problem now while watching live TV; eliminating tuners from use by the DVR will just exascerbate the problem.

If the stbs tuners were live, then this setup would work for me, but with centralized tuners in one box, sorry.
crgauth
join:2004-05-18
Glen Burnie, MD

crgauth

I'm going to take the optimistic stance that you can record 6 shows while watching 6 others (5 remote STBs and local).
Plus they did mention you can have 2 DVRs for a total of 12 tuners.

Webcobbler
@verizon.net

Webcobbler

Anon

They did. However, they also said that it will be a premium. To me, that means that it will not cost the same as a HMDVR, or a HDSTB. It will cost way more then that. If so, I will not be exchanging my setup for this.

If this were the same price as the current HMDVR (20 bucks) for the Media Server, and the new client HD boxes were the same price as the current HDSTBs (where I live that's 5.99) , then it would make my decision to swap all out for this new setup much easier.

Also, what about streaming content to tablets, like the iPad etc? I have not heard anything like that, or even if it is capable of doing so. All i hear is the Server and client boxes. I want to hear about its streaming capabilities. I would hope that it would allow streaming of ALL Subscribed channels to the iPad, and not just 75 through an app. Also ability to watch DVR content and FREE VOD content via ALL CHANNELS / PACKAGES that i Subscribe to.

The same thing goes for my 2012 Samsung tv. If I can get ALL channels I subscribe to via wifi , nothing else, like i do with the app, then it would make switching to the Media Server an easier decision.

Until I hear pricing, streaming capabilities, etc, even though I would love this new Media Server setup , no go for me.