uniqs
share rss forum feed

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1
reply to jimboe

Re: VPN providers being sued?

It does not matter if your personal information is not given out. If you are obtaining an IP Address from your ISP. They can always go back during the time and date when you obtained that IP address and found out who you are.

jimboe

join:2000-08-14
New York

said by brianiscool:

It does not matter if your personal information is not given out. If you are obtaining an IP Address from your ISP. They can always go back during the time and date when you obtained that IP address and found out who you are.

well thats what I meant- will the vpn give up your ip addy...

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

2 edits
reply to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

Well, the whole point of VPN when it comes to torrenting is that "copyright police" will get the IP that you got from your VPN carrier as opposed to that from your ISP; and then the VPN provider is the one who gets a subpoena. From here, it all depends on how "cooperative" that VPN provider will be. Obviously, if they indeed keep no logs as they say they do, they will have no info to give back to the MAFIAA. And if there is no data retention law in the country where they operate from, they cannot be legally forced to log.

When you are VPN'd in, all your ISP will see is encrypted traffic between you and your VPN host. Not enough to prove you wrong in court.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

ophelus

join:2004-01-11
Kansas City, MO

I believe it's probably possible for you to run your own vpn/ssh forwarding through your own server (co-located or dedicated) or through the vps servers.. (meaning you can make sure said logs are deleted ) but whether your host/data center keeps IP logs is also a 'different story'

Couldn't you run usenet data through the 'tor' network..? I assume so..

burger eater

join:2011-05-20

Don't do it. Tor isn't meant for heavy use.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS

said by burger eater:

Don't do it. Tor isn't meant for heavy use.

I can't even get it to serve web pages reliably most of the time. High traffic apps definitely hurts the network.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts