Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
reply to Mike Wolf

Re: [X1] X1, to get or not to get...cost?

said by Mike Wolf:

I do hope everything works out.
How did you hear about Comcast pushing out the possible X1 compatible interface for the Cisco RNG200N?

The following excerpt is from Comcast's Ted Hodgins, Sr. Director, Video Product Development - Navigation, in Media & Entertainment, "New Guide for Scientific Atlanta Cable Boxes" blog:

quote:
. . .

On-Screen Guide 3.0 (the X1 Experience) is rolling out to many new Comcast areas in 2013.

Our expectation is be able to deliver this new experience onto several of our newest cable boxes that are already in homes, including the Cisco RNG 200. That is expected in mid to late 2013.

. . .

Ted Hodgins replied to comment from Bob Jurgensen | December 4, 2012 8:29 PM

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···nt-67770
Here is another link stating that Comcast will take the X1 guide to existing RNG settop boxes. Please note this is at least 7 months old.

»www.multichannel.com/article/484···_Too.php

The following is an excerpt:

quote:
Cable Show 2012: Comcast To Take X1 Guide To Some Existing Set-Tops, Too

By: By Todd Spangler May 21 2012 - 3:56pm

. . .

But at some point, Comcast plans to deploy the X1 guide and applications to set-top boxes based on Broadcom's BCM7420 system-on-a-chip. The MSO has 7 million to 8 million such boxes in the field, which conform to its RNG 150 gateway specification, Werner said, adding, "It remains to be seen how fast we move on those."

. . .
--
Cisco RNG 200N & SA 8300 HD DVRs-S26 Guide
Links
'Guide Blog'
'Schedule'
'Info'
'Patch Thread'

Russ6

Houston, TX
I found another bug with the S26 Guide and the Cisco RNG 200N DVR. Sometimes a scheduled program will keep recording past its end time. One time it didn't stop for about a half day and didn't record the other scheduled shows. Another time it recorded for 3 and a half hours and only stopped recording when 2 other shows started. The show was the NBC nightly news which is only a half hour long.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to Russ6

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Russ6
The link you posted says RNG boxes but doesn't specifically say if they are Cisco RNG boxes, Pace RNG boxes, or Motorola RNG boxes, all which have different components.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Russ6
From what it's been said, Comcast is just gonna skip over Guide 2.0 and go right into X1 since Guide 2.0 was just a stop gap I guess.

Russ6

Houston, TX
said by Mike Wolf:

From what it's been said, Comcast is just gonna skip over Guide 2.0 and go right into X1 since Guide 2.0 was just a stop gap I guess.

Yes, for most areas. I think the areas that have On-Screen Guide 2.0 will keep it until that area gets the X1 Guide. New Mexico may still get On-Screen Guide 2.0, but Houston, Texas won't.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Maybe if New Mexico was in the middle of the project to roll it out but as far as I was told the project won't be rolling out anywhere else I kind of wish there were hard dates for distribution though but oh well.

Russ6

Houston, TX

1 edit
reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

The link you posted says RNG boxes but doesn't specifically say if they are Cisco RNG boxes, Pace RNG boxes, or Motorola RNG boxes, all which have different components.

Ted's quote states Cisco RNG boxes because it is in a SA/Cisco blog, but in other posts he has stated that both Cisco (RNG) and the newer Motorola DCX STBs will support the X1 Guide in the future.

The following excerpts are from Ted Hodgins.
quote:
. . .

The newer Motorola DCX series of boxes in some markets are scheduled at some point in 2013 to get the new X1 guide (also known as On-Screen Guide 3.0).

. . .

The long term plan is to get all of our newest cable boxes (regardless of hardware manufacturer or geography) onto a common more advanced on-screen guide starting in 2013 to provide a more consistent experience. Thanks for your patience.

See »Re: New Guides for SA/Cisco Areas (Info from Ted Hodgins Blog)

Please note how vague the statement is.using "some" and "starting in".
--
Cisco RNG 200N & SA 8300 HD DVRs-S26 Guide
Links
'Guide Blog'
'Schedule'
'Info'
'Patch Thread'

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

1 edit
yup
I'd love to know when we can see a Netflix app on the X1 interface.

TurboDan

join:2006-06-08
Lavallette, NJ
said by Mike Wolf:

yup
I'd love to know when we can see a Netflix app on the X1 interface.

If the temperature in hell is above 32 degrees, I wouldn't hold my breath...

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Click for full size
Hell really DID freeze over
So pretty good then right?

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Russ6