RobThompson
Caution - VoIP Challenged Alert
Premium Member
join:2012-02-14
J8G 0C9

RobThompson

Premium Member

Re: [Other] Does "Google Translate" translate "Vo

"...VoIP is an application...", that's sort of my point.

Why not differentiate the product/service/benefit, "Internet Telephony", from the delivery system?

It's really just the "P" in "VoIP" that gets to people. Tell them "VoI" (Voice over Internet) and they'll immediately understand and feel comfortable; add "Protocol" and their eyes will glaze over and they'll begin to sweat.

Like I said, it's just an observation...

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by RobThompson:

I like your observation .... Voice over Internet is the point.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to RobThompson

Premium Member

to RobThompson
Maybe even "POI" (Phone Over Internet) would seem friendlier. Maybe "VOIP" could be explained as "Voice Over Internet, Phone" or something.

For a totally non-tech person they really only have to understand a few things: They need an always-on Internet connection, they have to have an open port on their router (which means they know what a router is and that they may have one), they need to order and plug in (Internet, power and phone) a pre-configured box (that may have a built-in router, possibly making the other point moot, or not) from a provider, they have to understand that heavy Internet use can interfere with phone calls (can be ameliorated, but not easily by a non-tech person) and that, in a power failure, the phone is out.

It doesn't get simpler than this, really, but if this still sounds too complicated for some people then they ought to stick with POTS or have someone set it up for them.
engineerdan
join:2006-12-07
Washington, DC

engineerdan to RobThompson

to RobThompson
said by RobThompson:

It's really just the "P" in "VoIP" that gets to people. Tell them "VoI" (Voice over Internet) and they'll immediately understand and feel comfortable; add "Protocol" and their eyes will glaze over and they'll begin to sweat.

I see your point. And, you may be on to something here.

Perhaps if VoIP had a friendlier name, it would be more widely accepted by the general public. For example, the term TouchTone was broadly accepted by the public whereas the technical equivalent DTMF seems to only appeal to us geeks.