spc
Search similar:

uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

ITALIAN926 to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr

Re: [FiOS] Frontier FiOS customers falling further and further b

LMAO, you have a paypal account? You want to BET Frontier does not migrate everyone off BPON? If they did make such a ludicrous choice, you should start sending out your resume to other companies.

Replacing not only ALL customers ONT's but CO PON cards as well. Then you have situations where ONT's are located within someones home, and you have to inconvenience the customer as well. Absurd.

BPON can handle 50Mbps per sub, possibly more, yet Frontier will force migrate everyone to GPON when like 90% of their overall footprint is still copper?

wesm
Premium Member
join:1999-07-29
Seattle, WA

wesm to wasvznowftr

Premium Member

to wasvznowftr
said by wasvznowftr:

See, chawk and I both work for Frontier in the Everett, WA Northwest HQ where the vast majority of Frontier's FiOS customers are served (Washington and Oregon) and thought we were being helpful by dropping some inside info.

But clearly you have more information than we do. I'll keep an eye on this and other threads to learn more from the users here. That way the next time I get a company email or have some director tell my department in a meeting what the future plans are , I'll know they're just full of it.

Italian sure does have a way with words.

Your managers may be giving you accurate information, and they probably are. Personally, I have no reason to suspect that your managers are lying to you. The question still remains: Why would Frontier swap all currently-deployed BPON equipment for GPON when they are both 1) still installing new BPON equipment in customer environments and 2) there would be no benefit to doing so based on the current service offering?

I sincerely, fervently hope that Frontier actually is going to convert the entire network to GPON. I really, really want you to be right. Why? We might get 300/65.
EdmondsFios
join:2010-09-02
Edmonds, WA

1 edit

EdmondsFios to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
If Italian926 gets your sense of humor, this is going to become great reading material. I am also thrilled to hear that my new Tivo with Lifetime Service will no longer function with U verse and I will have to suck it up and go back to Comcast - for all my trliple play services.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to wesm

to wesm
Thank you wes.

For you to GET GPON though, you dont have to convert the entire network ! lol Just add GPON to existing hubs ! Holy moly. A simple concept wasvznowftr managers cant comprehend. lol
vidvid
join:2010-09-10

vidvid to SadPanda

to SadPanda
gpon upgrade was the plan - has been scrapped
vz 2012 deadline - has been scrapped
uverse content - has been scrapped

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to SadPanda

Premium Member

to SadPanda
And now that we've looped all the way back to the status quo, what's next for this thread?
Melakion
join:2009-06-25
Marysville, WA

Melakion to SadPanda

to SadPanda
Is most of Frontier's FiOS really BPON? I'm on GPON, and would assume everyone else coming out of Everett is too. Maybe just the East Side is BPON?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to SadPanda

Premium Member

to SadPanda
Welcome to rural America where faux telco pretends to serves the vast majority of small towns from coast to coast. It is the same problem regardless of who is blowing the smoke or where you live.

You have 35/35 and you are not happy? I will trade you every day for my 10/.512 and kiss your hand for your generosity..

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926 to Melakion

to Melakion
You can have GPON and BPON out of the same hub, so you may have GPON, but your next-door neighbor could be on BPON.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx
said by linicx:

You have 35/35 and you are not happy? I will trade you every day for my 10/.512 and kiss your hand for your generosity..

You're entirely free to move to a FiOS (most of which are not rural). Otherwise, I'm not sure why you're posting a thread that has nothing to do with you...

wesm
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

wesm to EdmondsFios

Premium Member

to EdmondsFios
said by EdmondsFios:

If Italian926 gets your sense of humor, this is going to become great reading material. I am also thrilled to hear that my new Tivo with Lifetime Service will no longer function with U verse and I will have to suck it up and go back to Comcast - for all my trliple play services.

Same here. I'm quite familiar with the software U-Verse uses for their TV-over-IP setup. It can be awesome, but AT&T has compressed the video streams so much as to be unwatchable for fast-moving content like sports if there is more than one HD stream going at a residence. I must be the last person on the planet who likes linear video--especially how FiOS does it, whether Frontier or Verizon--its quality and relatively simplicity.

Hawkerbacker
@frontiernet.net

Hawkerbacker

Anon

The main thing driving me crazy is you see all the new functionalities occurring with Verizon Fios such as the xbox 360 integration and ios app with Frontier you can't do any of those. It's frustrating knowing the fiber has such capabilities and it just sits there stagnant.

wesm
Premium Member
Seattle, WA

wesm

Premium Member

said by Hawkerbacker :

The main thing driving me crazy is you see all the new functionalities occurring with Verizon Fios such as the xbox 360 integration and ios app with Frontier you can't do any of those. It's frustrating knowing the fiber has such capabilities and it just sits there stagnant.

If they sent me an ad saying "hey, we've added HBO GO, enabled the Xbox streaming application, and might have even licensed the FiOS live TV app from Verizon, but it'll cost you a three year contract and $15 more per month," I'd sign up for HBO (which I don't currently get due to no HBO GO) and all they ask right now.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium Member
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
ARRIS NVG443B
Ubiquiti NanoStation loco M2

1 edit

1 recommendation

Hank to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx
said by linicx:

Welcome to rural America where faux telco pretends to serves the vast majority of small towns from coast to coast. It is the same problem regardless of who is blowing the smoke or where you live.

You are absolutely correct linicx. It makes no difference where you live Frontier is getting almost as good at telling tall tails as Mark Twain. Faux is a very good discriptor.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Thanks!
jamesonnorth
join:2012-12-22
Modoc, IN

jamesonnorth to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
My grandmother has Uverse over fiber to the house. I saw the orange fiber lines being installed. Fiber is up and down every telephone pole in her neighborhood. Why it's not underground is beyond me.
millerzone
join:2004-10-15
Kirkland, WA

millerzone to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
Uh, that's "intents and purposes"
Melakion
Marysville, WA

Melakion to SadPanda

to SadPanda
Got a Frontier Business FiOS offer in the mail that talked about FiOS download speeds up to 50Mbps. Anyone know what the upload speed is on that? On their normal business website it says up to 40Mbps.

»frontier.com/rightprice doesn't list any more details than are on the 1/3 page flyer.

DXBroadband
@frontiernet.net

DXBroadband

Anon

I'm enjoying my Frontier FiOS in the Portland Metro Area

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 6065.png

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

1 edit

NormanS to ITALIAN926

MVM

to ITALIAN926
said by ITALIAN926:

Wow, Uverse uses FTTP? Didnt know that. Exactly what percentage of Uverse subscribers are FTTP? .01% ?

Parts of Michigan (maybe other Midwest states which were "formally" (a play on "intensive" purposes*) Ameritech), parts of Teaxas, which was formerly Southwestern Bell Telephone, and parts of California, which was formerly The Pacific Telesis Group. And closer to 1% than 0.01%.

»Bad news! Notice the wording!

In which the OP states it is at least 5% of AT&T customers served by FTTP.

»Is Paxio real? Do they really offer service in San Jose?

Same poster is trying to identify where, in Santa Clara County he can get better FTTP service from another provider.

*"formerly" and "intents and purposes".
Melakion
Marysville, WA

Melakion to SadPanda

to SadPanda
75mbps? How did you manage that? It's not the 150/65 plan I want, but it's a lot faster than 35mbps.

isp10002
join:2012-10-24

isp10002 to SadPanda

to SadPanda
Why are you guys not happy with 35 mbps? I have 3mbps dsl id trade you anyday, 35 mbps is good enough for anyone, you probally use alot of bandwidth. If your not happey with it move on.
Melakion
Marysville, WA

Melakion

Why are you not happy with 3mbps? I had 768k DSL I would have traded you any day, about 15 years ago.
Melakion

Melakion to SadPanda

to SadPanda
»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· bps.html

2Gbps/1Gbps connection in japan, and what fancy new high tech physical plant are they deploying that on?

"So-net said its service uses the GPON, or Gigabit-capable Passive Optics Networks, standard"

Oh, the same stuff that's already strung to the side of my house that Frontier limits us to 35mbps on. Must be nice.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

So move to Japan! They've got some awesome speeds in Scandinavia too

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4 to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
I was just reading the other day how people with uverse fiber to the home are getting the same speeds as uverse fiber to the node customers. Apparently they are going to increase speeds soon.

Will this u-verse video service be deployed in west Virginia? Would be nice to have competition here.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by mikedz4:

Will this u-verse video service be deployed in west Virginia?

No. U-Verse is provided by AT&T and as far as I know, there are no AT&T services in WV, just Frontier. AT&T is not likely to "ovebuild" into Frontier territory.

I was just reading the other day how people with uverse fiber to the home are getting the same speeds as uverse fiber to the node customers. Apparently they are going to increase speeds soon.

Where did you read this exactly? I'd like to read about it.

mikedz4
join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV

mikedz4

will frontier provide video services other than wa, or, and in?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to darcilicious

MVM

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by mikedz4:

Where did you read this exactly? I'd like to read about it.

See the second post I linked above. A (former?) AT&T FTTH user in the AT&T U-verse forum: ConstantineM See Profile. I think also some other user posts in that forum. Apparently AT&T offers an excuse which amounts to: "We don't want our FTTN user base demanding an upgrade to FTTH."

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to mikedz4

Premium Member

to mikedz4
said by mikedz4:

will frontier provide video services other than wa, or, and in?

My best guess? It's unlikely.