Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to DataRiker

Re: A good start.

About time the European model is where to go. You own your device and can pick a your service and can switch much easier. Which makes for some very interesting relationships between carriers and their customers.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

NeoandGeo

join:2003-05-10
Harrison, TN

The European model sounds nice, but you're still screwed when you pay $600+ for a phone that should be sold at half that. Both models suck and treat you to either missionary or doggy style rape of your wallet.

mech1164
I'll Be Back

join:2001-11-19
Lodi, NJ

Yes that is always a steep cost, but if people won't pay that prices will fall. Look at Google with the N4, they can't keep it in stock cause of the price. Now though lets take that 600 you mentioned. If you have a cheaper plan that works for you. You can actually save over time. Problem is people want cheap up front but don't look at the total costs.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to NeoandGeo

Do your homework on European wireless plans, they pay a lot less than us per month even after you consider the $20 or so a month that goes to subsidies. And the high MSRP's can be worked around by buying second hand, from ebay or something along those lines, I've outright bought and sold countless phones on ebay and you can get phones that are only 6 months old for half the MSRP.

Would it be nicer if the MSRP's dropped, no doubt. But contract less plans which are in the majority overseas, and inter operable phones that you buy outright drive down service prices.

Telco

join:2008-12-19
reply to NeoandGeo

Both models do not suck and this is illustrated by actual data. We have one of the most expensive cells services in the developed world.