share rss forum feed

RobThompson
Caution - Newbie Alert LinuxMint
Premium
join:2012-02-14
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

[Anveo] A local number is long distance to dial, why?

Hello:

I bought a 'local' US number from Anveo: (530) 466-xxxx.

When people dial it from: (530) 357-xxxx they are told that must dial '1'.

When they asked their phone company, the "Happy Valley Telephone Co" I think, they were told: "... the prefix 466 does not exist
so therefore it would not be a local call and would be a long distance one."

Anveo says that it *should not* be long-distance, yet it is.

Have other people had this type of problem? Anveo does not allow you to pick the prefix.

Any suggestions to solve this? (Other than voxox.com forwarding as I find the voice quality poor.)

Thanks,

Rob.
--
Rob.
Blog: »googlevoiceforcanadians.com/

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric

Look at my post here:

»[General] Area Code Boundaries..

I asked the same question.
To sum: Because they have to dial 1 it does not mean is actually long distance but just in a different rate center/exchange.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to RobThompson

The prefix certainly DOES exist. It's either PAC West or 360 Networks depending on the thousands block. It's a Sacramento exchange.

As to why Happy Valley says it's not local, only they can explain that.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-24
reply to RobThompson

Looking at the link from XCOM, it appears that the two exchanges are in different LATAs.

JJ_GTA
Premium
join:2009-04-01
Ontario
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Anveo
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to RobThompson

Check your SIP settings on the Anveo web page. By default you need to dial the country code first. If you don't then it will treat the call like an overseas call.

I have my settings changed to "Localized | Area code + number"
Default calling country USA 1
International dialing prefix 011

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
reply to RobThompson

Thanks, I'll change my settings & get them to try it.
--
Rob.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
·voip.ms
·Callcentric
reply to JJ_GTA

said by JJ_GTA:

Check your SIP settings on the Anveo web page. By default you need to dial the country code first. If you don't then it will treat the call like an overseas call.

I have my settings changed to "Localized | Area code + number"
Default calling country USA 1
International dialing prefix 011

That has nothing to do with people dialing your DID.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

JJ_GTA
Premium
join:2009-04-01
Ontario

Correct, read it too quick.

gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC

1 recommendation

reply to RobThompson

Different LATAs, and the exchanges are not 'local' to each other. Google Maps shows they're about "152 mi, 3 hours 40 mins by CA-99 S/Golden State Hwy" driving distance.

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to RobThompson

Thanks people!

I'm trying a voip.ms number. They, at least, let you pick an exchange.
--
Rob.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to RobThompson

said by RobThompson:

When they asked their phone company, the "Happy Valley Telephone Co" I think, they were told: "... the prefix 466 does not exist... "

So THAT's what my math teacher meant by "imaginary numbers".

---------------------------------

You need to learn about LATA's.
»www.pcmag.com/encyclopedia_term/···1,00.asp

LATA's are [not] area codes.

One LATA may have multiple area codes, and one area code might be in more than one LATA.

The first number you listed is in Alleghany, CA which is in the Sacramento LATA (LATA 726).

The second number is in Olinda, CA which is in the Chico LATA (LATA 724). (There are multiple Olindas in the state, this refers to the one in Shasta County).

As was also said, about 150 road miles apart (240 km).

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
reply to RobThompson

Ah, here's a page from which you can download free LATA maps.

»www.latamaps.com/Telecom_Maps/Re···TA_maps/

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
reply to RobThompson

Thanks, PX!

To be more specific, their home number is: (530) 357-4xxx.

The Anveo number is: (530) 466-7xxx.

The new, and improved, voip.ms number is: (530) 364-4xxx.

I think that the voip.ms number will work.

Rob.
--
Rob.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

It's in the same LATA, at least.

The only exchanges that are in the same Rate Center are 530-357 and 530-396, and a VoIP number simply will not be available. The only LEC in that Rate Center is Happy Valley.

So getting a number in the same LATA is the best that can be done.

WhyADuck
Premium
join:2003-03-05
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to RobThompson

If you go to

»www.localcallingguide.com/lca_prefix.php

And put in the following:

NPA: 530
NXX: 357

It will come back showing the rate center as Olinda. If you then click on Olinda, it will tell you that the local exchanges are 357 and 396, and that there is also local calling to the following rate centers:

Anderson, CA 360 364 365 378 776
Cottonwood, CA 347 348 377
Redding, CA 209 215 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 229 232 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 255 262 275 276 339 351 355 356 376 410 440 510 515 524 604 605 638 646 710 722 917 921 941 945 949 953 999

All in the 530 area code. Your 530-466 number is in the Alleghany rate center and is NOT a local call from Olinda. Your 530-364 number is an Anderson number and that IS a local call from Olinda, at least according to the Local Calling Guide.

EDIT: You could always try setting up a Google Voice account with a number in one of the above rate centers, if you can get one, and then select your Anveo number or any other U.S. number as the actual destination. Only problem is that you'd need to appear to be coming from a U.S. IP address and have a U.S. DID to receive the confirmation call when you set up the account. Start by setting up a new Gmail account (that will NOT be used for regular e-mail), then while logged into that go to voice.google.com and set up your Google Voice account. You can use a proxy in the U.S. while doing this or you can get a friend or relative in the U.S. to set up the account for you. Once the account is set up, you should have no problem accessing it from Canada, and as long as it's forwarding to a U.S. phone number you should be fine.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

Ah, that is a very good point.

It should be a local call because it is an [adjacent] rate center still within the local calling area.

-----------------------

In most of California apart from these rural areas, the situation is:

*Local calling (same rate center or possibly an adjacent rate center)
*ZUM-3 (typically 13-16 miles in metro areas, used by AT&T and VZ)
*Local/Regional toll (Intra-LATA)
*Long distance (Inter-LATA)

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
reply to RobThompson

Your friends may hear the Happy Valley Telephone Company being called TDS Telecom, TDS bought them some years back.

Also, if your friends need a veterinarian out there, we know one in Redding.

Stewart

join:2005-07-13
kudos:25
reply to RobThompson

How did you choose your Anveo number? They do offer Anderson and Redding, CA numbers, which would be in 530 and local to your contact.

RobThompson
Premium
Lasalle, QC
Reviews:
·AcroVoice

Hi Stewart:

I picked "Anderson" and it gave me the (530) 466-7xxx number, which I forwarded to my Canadian number.

But when people, with the (530) 367-4xxx number, tried to dial it, it was long distance for them.

I don't know what number I would have received if I had picked "Redding".

BTW, Anveo.com kindly cancelled my (530) 466-7xxx number and waived the 3 month minimum. Nice of them.
--
Rob.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8

530-466 is NOT Anderson, CA.

LATAs are completely meaningless and you should not be looking at LATAs to determine if a number is local. It needs to be in the same rate center or in a rate center local to the one you're calling from for it to be local. For Olinda, CA specifically that is Anderson, Cottonwood, and Redding. FWIW we can get numbers in all three - pretty sure most other providers can get numbers in at least one of these too.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms

said by nitzan:

LATAs are completely meaningless and you should not be looking at LATAs to determine if a number is local.

OP's original concern was not only that the number wasn't "local", but also that his friends with POTS were being told that it was a true long-distance call, which it was. Not just intra-LATA regional toll, but inter-LATA long distance.

LATA's [are] useful in that any POTS call between LATA's is by definition long-distance.

You are of course correct in that the best arrangement is a number either in the same rate center or an adjacent rate center that's still in the local calling area.