uniqs
mrjoshuaw
join:2001-12-27
Blue Springs, MO

mrjoshuaw to coyotama7

to coyotama7

Re: [General] Gigabit FTTH Broadband Network Design Protips and

I know this is a month old but just in case you were still working on this:

I guess it would depend on how you plan on getting the fiber to your subscribers and if you were looking at putting in huts or smaller enclosures. There is many ways you could do this, and it would all depend on the topology and or layout that you are working with.

In regards to the Calix, we had used WWP (World Wide Packet) and then subsequently Calix (since they were the purchasing company of WWP) as our customer distro layer 2 switches in our huts and aside from being a pain to configure (just the command line if you are used to Cisco, less so if you have worked with Brocade) but once in we did not have any problems. We ran with Single Mode fiber to the house with WWP NID's to terminate and convert the fiber to Cat5/6.

The big cost is getting the backbone and the fiber in place, past all the houses and or businesses that you would want to hit. Ariel is cheaper, but depending on weather that may not work for you, ours was all in-ground due to icy conditions. We had very infrequent calls out for damaged fiber (maybe 1 every two months) but we were not in an area that had a lot of street or utility construction going on at the time. Whereas ATT was out a lot for Aerial drops after every ice storm, or even some good Thunderstorms with high winds.
DrD
join:2008-03-03
Harrisonville, MO

DrD

Ciena bought World Wide Packet, not Calix.
coyotama7
join:2012-12-04
Dallas, TX

coyotama7 to mrjoshuaw

to mrjoshuaw
I'm still studying this problem.

Thank you for replying.

I am aware of Ciena as a company. Would you suggest Ciena over Calix, then?

I am thinking more in terms of "huts" and other outside plant, to make it easier to extend the network to homes and businesses within my area. I'm also thinking in terms of buried fiber for most of the leg, with ariel drop for the very last leg of the journey.

I have not decided if I want to deploy a dedicated AE cable from subscriber premises to the central office, or if i want outside plant equipment to aggregate subscriber connections and use a few uplinks, say four 100 GE lines, so there's less to bury, and it would cut down the cost significantly.

It depends a lot on just how expensive dedicated AE lines to the central office are to deploy in practice.
mrjoshuaw
join:2001-12-27
Blue Springs, MO

mrjoshuaw to DrD

to DrD
Crap your right, I was thinking Calix because that is the ONT's we had moved to, thanks for catching that!
mrjoshuaw

mrjoshuaw to coyotama7

to coyotama7
Ciena ONT's are (or were) more expensive then Calix ONT's, so we switched to them. But I think I preferred the Ciena equipment. In regards to switching, Ciena was fine for our needs but we didn't try any Calix equipment, and when I left they were in the process of vetting the Brocade switching equipment. Brocade was cheaper then Ciena as well, and we were already using Brocade CES's and CER's in our ring architecture.

There are quite a few options in regards to outside plant equipment. I would suggest you take a look at what may be available in your area to go see, and talk to technicians that have used other equipment as well.

When we were building out our network I think they used the Fiber to the Home Council as a good resource, here is a link to their toolkit for the Texas area. It may give you some people that you could talk to as well. Especially in regards to local contractors for pricing of outside plant, or if you plan on hiring all your own employees, the equipment to maintain the fiber and such (conduit, fiber, Fusion Splicers, OTDR, Splice Trailers, etc.)

»www.ftthcouncil.org/p/cm ··· /fid=156