Search similar:

uniqs

kapil
The Kapil
join:2000-04-26
Chicago, IL

kapil

What's the real story?

Sprint is the majority owner of Clearwire. Dish had to have known that without Sprint's consent, the bid will go nowhere...and with Sprint trying to acquire the remainder of Clearwire itself, Dish also had to know that the deal will probably not happen.

So, what's the real story here?

Did Dish go to Sprint looking to partner on Dish's own wireless ambitions and get turned down? Was Dish looking to acquire Sprint and the Softbank deal got in the way? Did Sprint upset Dish some other way? Because this doesn't make a whole lot of sense....unless it's just a rumor started by someone who wants to dump some CLWR stock.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by kapil:

Did Dish go to Sprint looking to partner on Dish's own wireless ambitions and get turned down? Was Dish looking to acquire Sprint and the Softbank deal got in the way? Did Sprint upset Dish some other way? Because this doesn't make a whole lot of sense....unless it's just a rumor started by someone who wants to dump some CLWR stock.

I am guessing that one of the arguments Sprint will make when it is trying to get approval for the majority Clearwire purchase to regulators is that "No one wants Clearwire, they cannot survive on their own."

Dish just made this argument a lot harder to make. There is also a lawsuit occurring (I don't remember the details) involving some of shareholders to stop the sale of Clearwire to Sprint.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Clearwire loses money every year. There has to be another reason..

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to whfsdude

Premium Member

to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

I am guessing that one of the arguments Sprint will make when it is trying to get approval for the majority Clearwire purchase to regulators is that "No one wants Clearwire, they cannot survive on their own."

Dish just made this argument a lot harder to make. There is also a lawsuit occurring (I don't remember the details) involving some of shareholders to stop the sale of Clearwire to Sprint.

I think this is just some shareholders(Ergen of Dish) looking for greenmail. Pay us to go away. And the lawsuit will come after Sprint gets Clearwire if Sprint doesn't buy off Dish ahead of time.
kem09030
join:2004-11-29
Rushville, IL

kem09030 to whfsdude

to whfsdude
Dish may have wanted Sprint to buy the spectrum they just got approved. Sprint took a pass on the spectrum Dish had so now Dish wants to drive the price up on Clear. Sprint was also a bit of a thorn in the side of Dish when they were trying to get the spectrum approved. A lot of analysts are saying Dish just wants to drive the price up for Sprint...I think they may be right this time.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to kapil

Premium Member

to kapil
Everything has a price, even Sprint's stake in Clearwire. This bid will require Sprint to pony up more money. Other shareholders will want the better return on their investment and if Sprint doesn't allow it, expect a shareholder revolt and lawsuits.

Some of your scenarios are plausible. Softbank may have complicated Dish's plans and now Dish is pursuing alternatives.