spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

zephxiii

join:2012-12-12
Fort Wayne, IN

install digium g729 cause pbx failed to boot?

I was attempting to install g729 following digium's instructions on elastix and now i get pbx failed to boot on a restart.

What is the best way to figure this out and or reverse the installation of g729?

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN

1 edit
Nevermind, i just deleted the g729 module. Apparently that one doesn't work and I'll have to investigate why exactly.

I tried to install Digium's g729 w/ licenses via their instructions and it caused the PBX to not start. It wasn't until after i deleted the codec_g729a.so from /usr/lib/asterisk/modules that it would start up again.

I installed

1: codec_g729a-1.8.0_3.1.5-pentium3m_32.tar.gz

then tried

2: codec_g729a-1.8.0_3.1.5-core2_32.tar.gz

on Elastix i386 2.6.18 238.12.1.el5 running Asterisk 1.8.11.0 and that seems like that should have been the correct module(s) and pentium3m is the recommended choice so not sure what the problem is??

mdavenport

join:2012-03-01
reply to zephxiii
You've got the wrong version.

There's a download selector available here:
»www1.digium.com/en/products/soft ··· 29-codec

to help you get the right version.

1.8.4+, which includes 1.8.11, of Asterisk needs a different codec_g729 module:
»downloads.digium.com/pub/telepho ··· /x86-32/

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
Awwweee i can't believe i missed that. I got confused with all numbers and decimal places and completely missed the correct numbering haha. Ok i will try again tomorrow!

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to zephxiii
Version numbers make my head spin sometimes too.

I'm actually thankful that some software vendors have come out with more generic names....

Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 8... with Service Pack 1 or Two...

It's easier than the number chain... even though the number chain is still underneath.

then there's the AV companies... who put the YEAR in the name so you know if you're running last years model.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·Vestalink
said by VexorgTR:

Version numbers make my head spin sometimes too.

I'm actually thankful that some software vendors have come out with more generic names....

Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 8... with Service Pack 1 or Two...

It's easier than the number chain... even though the number chain is still underneath.

then there's the AV companies... who put the YEAR in the name so you know if you're running last years model.

Here we go again with your spamming bs. This is not relevant to the OP.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

zephxiii

Fort Wayne, IN
reply to zephxiii
Got the correct version installed today and it works...

Are these 2 licenses just for the transcoding in Asterisk? (Say if u were going from ulaw extAsterisk then transcode to g729 for Asterisk VoIP Carrier?

When the phones were set to use G729 and the trunks were using G729 the 2 channels were not in use since there wasn't any transcoding going on...so then did I even need them if i wanted to go g729 across the board? TBH i will prob keep internal stuff on ulaw.

I might use g729 between the carriers IF it is going to be more robust and reliable which i do not know yet. I mostly got the two licenses to play with and see if they would offer any advantage with robustness.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
The licenses are only needed when Asterisk has to manipulate the audio somehow, such as by transcoding (which includes recording and playing back audio that's stored in different formats).

If one G.729 endpoint is connected to another G.729 endpoint, you will not use an instance of your license. Likewise, if you play a G.729 audio file to a G.729 caller, you will not need a license.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.