Premium
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to gunther_01

Re: ARGH! Ubnt radios freezing!

said by gunther_01:

I have heard in the past that as ambient temps drop, devices require more power (current) to operate. I can't recall why, or if it's even true.

It is true. Almost all ICs draw more current (and hence power) as the temperature drops. I wrote about this when people were having issues with some Realtek-based radios during 2006/7 winter.

Anyway IC engineers do what is called "timing analysis" at the required extreme temperatures and make sure that all internal circuits operate correctly. Those extremes are usually -20C/70C for extended ; -40C/85C for industrial and finally -55C/125C for a few miltary and satellite ICs.

The temperature is for the "die" inside the IC which depends on both ambient temperature and thermal specs of the IC packaging.

For occasional WISP radio failures in winter, the main culprits are the oscillator and the CPU. Most of them are tested/rated at -20C and we are actually lucky to have them running below that temperature.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO

said by lutful:

^^^^^
Thats a name I havent seen in a loooong time.
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON

said by Rhaas:

said by lutful:

^^^^^

I actually hang out at the electronics forum these days.
»Haven't seen Lutful posting lately

P.S. I really could not make any critical comments about UBNT stuff back in 2010 without getting attacked by fanboys. Hopefully that has changed.

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

Respectively replying, anyone that hasn't extensively deployed UBNT gear shouldn't make critical comments.

lutful
... of ideas
Premium
Ottawa, ON

said by WHT:

Respectively replying, anyone that hasn't extensively deployed UBNT gear shouldn't make critical comments.

Obviously there are exceptions like (
»Noisy UBNT gear appearing in our area ) by a veteran WISP. My only comment in that 5 page thread was about adding UNIX "nice" feature in a TDMA radio to co-exist with other WISP gear. And my response to a specific question in this UBNT thread relates to IC temperature ratings. Both are stuff I know a lot about because I personally designed ICs and TDMA radio PCBs.

Hopefully you UBNT guys will allow that tiny bit of freedom of relevant expression by non-UBNT users. After all there are very few of us left. Nothing to fear - you guys already won.

Rhaas
Premium
join:2005-12-19
Bernie, MO
reply to lutful

said by lutful:

said by Rhaas:

said by lutful:

^^^^^

P.S. I really could not make any critical comments about UBNT stuff back in 2010 without getting attacked by fanboys. Hopefully that has changed.

Even the fan boys got burned
I am using their 2.4G equipment with some success - as long as it is fairly quiet.

I am not happy about the 7kft of tough cable I have deployed that has or is failing..
--
I survived Hale-Bopp!

jcremin

join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI
kudos:2

said by Rhaas:

I am not happy about the 7kft of tough cable I have deployed that has or is failing..

Same here... The UV protected stuff that wasn't... I was just at a customer's house yesterday for something totally unrelated and happened to look at the cable and saw a bunch of cracks all over the place. Hadn't totally failed yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

I haven't participated on the UBNT forums for quite awhile, but does anyone know if they are offering any sort of compensation for the crappy cable that is only lasting a year or two? I have other cable that's been installed for 6+ years and is in almost as good of condition as the day we installed it. Even some cheap non-UV unshielded indoor cable that was intended to be temporary is still in great condition compared to the UBNt stuff.

join:2011-04-18

No Compensation yet, they will send you new boxes for the stuff you used... But that doesnt quite cover man hours/ lost revenue.

We had a bit of a rush when a competitor went out of business last year.... Close to 300 installs in 2 months (thats a lot for us).... We just got killed this summer with service calls, left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth.....