uniqs
share rss forum feed

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
reply to dtitzer

Re: Increased my internet plan to 50/25...and now it's worse

When I got my speed upgrade and new router I had to have them reboot everything (ONT and router) and they had to give me a new IP. Took 15 minutes on the phone and all is wonderful

bkrickles

join:2008-06-25
Nesconset, NY
what is the newest/best router from verizon?
I'm in my office now so I'm not sure which I have but I've had it for several years and was wondering if it's worth replacing.
thanks in advance

nascar

join:2000-02-28
Verona, NJ
kudos:3
said by bkrickles:

what is the newest/best router from verizon?
I'm in my office now so I'm not sure which I have but I've had it for several years and was wondering if it's worth replacing.
thanks in advance

MI424WR rev. I n/g/b

dtitzer

join:2006-11-08
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to nascar
It just might require a phone call. I rebooted both, got the same IP. I don't know how long their leases run, but a few minutes is usually too short to get a new IP.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by dtitzer:

It just might require a phone call. I rebooted both, got the same IP. I don't know how long their leases run, but a few minutes is usually too short to get a new IP.

Lease time is 120 minutes with a renewal every 60 minutes. Though I don't think an IP address change will help if you're receiving less than 1mbps up or down. I would call and have them take a look. It could be anything from a bad router, CAT5 cable or incorrect provisioning.

said by birdfeedr:

Use the optimizer. We used it originally for our WinXP machines on Residential 15/5. Not too long ago I did a clean install to Win7 Home Premium. Speed test was low, until I ran the optimizer. Our (upgraded service to) Business 25/25 is right on the money now.

Run the optimizer which is linked at the end of the vz speedtest. »my.verizon.com/micro/speedtest/broadband/

You're not installing a suite, it's just the optimizer. After it's completed, you can delete the files.

I had a strange experience with the VZ optimizer when I upgraded from 50/20 to 150/65. After the ONT was installed and the tech was establishing the connection to the CO he wasn't able to get more than 10mbps on the upload. He ran the optimizer twice more and was going to have me submit a support ticket the next day until I offered to try my backed up settings using Speedguide's TCP optimizer. As soon as I reverted to my pre-VZ optimizer settings the line jumped to the full 155/70.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
said by serge87:

try my backed up settings using Speedguide's TCP optimizer. As soon as I reverted to my pre-VZ optimizer settings the line jumped to the full 155/70.

Is Speedguide's optimizer set up for Win7's autotune? I haven't checked recently. VZ's optimizer says it is compatible, so I tried it and it worked first time. Then again, we're on 25/25.

serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by birdfeedr:

said by serge87:

try my backed up settings using Speedguide's TCP optimizer. As soon as I reverted to my pre-VZ optimizer settings the line jumped to the full 155/70.

Is Speedguide's optimizer set up for Win7's autotune? I haven't checked recently. VZ's optimizer says it is compatible, so I tried it and it worked first time. Then again, we're on 25/25.

There is an option to adjust that(5 possible settings from disabled to experimental) and all the other global TCP settings as seen by running "netsh int tcp show global" in a command window.

dtitzer

join:2006-11-08
Glen Burnie, MD
I'll need to check this. I think I had issues and have it currently set to be disabled. Normal was giving me problems. Will try restricted and highlyrestricted.