Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
reply to neufuse

Re: Comcast is really pushing their gateways

said by neufuse:

I have that too on the price list, but when I asked about it they told me I had to get it at best buy still... told them best buy doesn't carry them anymore and they told me "they are the only authorized retailer, we do not sell directly to customers ourselves"... then why do you have a price for it?!

I agree. If you can't buy a new one right from Comcast, why would they bother printing it on the list? I got one for Oct 2012 with price changes too and the option to buy both a D2 and D3 kit was there. Why would they still sell D2 *kits*? I've had one for 5 years and wouldn't have just wanted to buy it after all that. What was it that was said, the left hand don't know what the right is doing at Comcast.

Extide

join:2000-06-11

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

If I ever have a tech over to work on a problem, I just directly plug a laptop into the modem. I do not allow techs to touch any of my equipment, router settings, etc. All I have them do is get it working on that single PC, and then I will handle the rest.

It also helps when "arguing" with tech support whether the issue is with your stuff or not. Just plug a laptop into the modem and say you are directly connected to the modem, no router, nothing. Then there is no room for them to say that your stuff is the problem.

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA

2 recommendations

PhReE5, it sounds like you are a tech savy person. Most people think because they pay x amount of dollars to an ISP, the ISP is responsible for all the equipment connected to their service. When I was a cable tech, I went to a customers house to install their internet. When I got there the woman of the house asked me how long it would take to fix her computer. She was misinformed by the phone rep that I would fix her computer which had a virus, that's why she signed up for the service. I informed her that we weren't responsible for their broken or malfunctioning equipment. At the time I didn't know she had friends in high places at this ISP (HR). In turn I ended up losing my job, after my lawyer investigated the situation she admitted that she lied to her friend in high places. I was told that I could reapply for my job, when I did the company had a hiring freeze and I ended up moving out of state. The customers need to learn to read the Terms of Service provided by an ISP, they are not responsible for the equipment in the customers home. ISPs are also not responsible for the content that you view and download online. In some cases when people call in it is their equipment that has a problem. Sometimes there is a problem on the ISPs end. Comcast is trying to reduce their amount of truck rolls by having their "tech support" trouble shoot problems over the phone.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to IowaCowboy

If Comcast would give me a free router I wouldn't mind playing with it.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Mike Wolf:

If Comcast would give me a free router I wouldn't mind playing with it.

They used to have such a program, but you had to be renting one of their modems to get the router. However, they terminated that program about a year ago and now issue the gateway boxes instead.

A quirk of that program was that if you were leasing a gateway box (as I used to do on my business class account) but that gateway was not wireless, you still qualified for their free wireless router offer. I am still using the free Netgear WNR1000v2-VC router that Comcast sent me as my isolated guest/test router. I no longer rent the SMC gateway, but Comcast told me that they didn't want the router returned (until/unless I terminate my HSI account) even though I am no longer renting their "modem".
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I figured as much. Oh well, I guess no new toy for me :/

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by Mike Wolf:

I figured as much. Oh well, I guess no new toy for me :/

Why do I get the impression that you have more toys than you can find the time to tinker with?
--
A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.

Extide

join:2000-06-11
reply to nrobot80

nrobot80, Yeah, I am definitely a tech savvy person, so yeah I know how to handle making sure all of my gear is operating properly.

Man, you sure got the short end of the stick on that job deal. That really sucks. I used to do computer repair at a computer store and people would expect you do do anything and everything for them, they have no respect for boundaries. It can end up with the tech in a really crappy situation, either break rules and do more then they are supposed to, or leave a customer un-satisfied, which may get you into trouble later when they complain.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to NetFixer

You would be right. I like to vary my tinkering with various things so I don't get bored...or break something by accident. My newest thing is DVR expanders.

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA
reply to Extide

That's the situtation I was in. Customer service has gotten to the point of companies promising the customer the sun, moon, stars and everything between just to earn their dollars. The phone rep may have been misinformed or trying to meet their sales quota also. The ISP I work for now is trying to stand above the other MSOs in terms of customer service, so they will send out a contractor (seperate from the installer but for a fee of course) to fix computers, mount TVs on the wall etc. That is an issue in itself because if there is a problem, then all the customer says is the person from xyz company came to my house and did a crappy job. In my opinion customer's broken or malfunctioning equipment is and always will be the customers responsiblity to fix or replace.

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

I'd rather keep my own set up with my AE5.

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to NetFixer

Could it be that such gateways became obsolete rather quickly?

I have a WNR3500v1 (free router promotion) that Comcast wants no part of any longer (despite it being not merely IPv6-unready, but IPv6-hostile); therefore, I wound up replacing it with (at my own expense) the far-friendlier-to-IPv6 WNDR3700v4. Despite it not having any support for 6RD, it *does* support the Comcast public 6to4 tunnel they have as an alternative to 6RD (as the screenshot I have posted in the apropos thread demonstrates).

The WNDR3700 series is now in its *third* different hardware iteration (the WNDR3700v3 used a unique Broadcom chipset; the v4 uses a derivative of the Atheros chipset from the WNDR3700 v2 - however, it's different enough that firmware for the v2 won't work for the v4 - this is especially true of third-party firmware).

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

said by PGHammer:

Could it be that such gateways became obsolete rather quickly?

I have a WNR3500v1 (free router promotion) that Comcast wants no part of any longer (despite it being not merely IPv6-unready, but IPv6-hostile); therefore, I wound up replacing it with (at my own expense) the far-friendlier-to-IPv6 WNDR3700v4. Despite it not having any support for 6RD, it *does* support the Comcast public 6to4 tunnel they have as an alternative to 6RD (as the screenshot I have posted in the apropos thread demonstrates).

I had the opposite experience with my Comcast supplied Netgear WNR1000v2-VC. Comcast worked with Netgear to get an IPv6 firmware version released right after the official IPv6 day. It supports both Comcast's 6to4 tunnel and their native dual stack. It does have a quirk that requires it to be rebooted every couple of weeks, but since I am only using it as a guest router, I can live with that (but if Comcast/Netgear decided to release a new firmware to fix that problem, I would gladly install it).
--

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
kudos:1
reply to IowaCowboy

There is one gateway I am looking forward to.

At CES Motorola/Arris introduced a single-box device with multiple QAM cable TV tuners, a 24x8 Intel Puma6 based D3 modem, IPTV with MoCA 2.0 support, DVR, dual-band WiFi and VOIP support.

Considering I have a DVR, cable modem and also an AnyPlay box in my living room, I'd welcome a convergence device like this instead. It would simplify the wiring and make it easier to share content all over the house.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10

And when 1 component of that device craps the bed; then what? No thanks!

PGHammer

join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD
reply to NetFixer

The WNR1000v2 actually replaced the WNR3500v1 as the *free router* for precisely that reason - IPv6 hostility. However, it does NOT have gigabit ports for either LAN or WAN (unlike any version of the WNR3500 or most of the WNDR routers; the only WNDR router that lacks gigabit LAN or WAN is the WNDR3300). I've seen the WNR1000v2 *in the wild* and it's not a BAD router if the majority of your needs are for wireless (not wired) connections and you are in a single-story house. The WNDR3700 has better wireless coverage than the WNR3500 merely over common bands - throw in the 5 GHz N (which the WNR3500 lacks) and things get problematical for the single-band router (even the WNR3500L and WNR3500v2, which ARE supported by third-party firmware, whereas the 3700v4 isn't - yet). Where I was surprised by the WNDR3700v4 was the wired side - the library (where Mom has her desktop) is one floor up and has a wired connection; however, said connection has been so flakey I was tempted to look for the milk and a large spoon (basically, it was so flakey it was "corn flakey") - that is awful, no matter how you put it. When the WNDR links up, the connection STAYS up. I have not had to reboot the router at all - and I leave my PC running basically around the clock.

Tobin

join:2003-09-21
Burlingame, CA
kudos:1
reply to Johkal

said by Johkal:

And when 1 component of that device craps the bed; then what? No thanks!

Your situation might be different, but here is mine. I subscribe to Triple Play because it's cheaper than having just Internet and TV service. I don't actually use Comcast for phone service, so if that were to crap out it wouldn't be a huge issue. Even if I did, I use Google Voice as a primary number so all my various separate phone services are tied together.

If the TV tuners break, well I'm sure can live for a day or two without TV.

If the D3 modem portion breaks, I could probably just hook up my old DPC3008 as a short term solution. I could probably even call the automated activation number to do it.

WiFi...that would probably be the one thing I would keep a separate device for all the time. I assume I'll be using an AirPort Extreme router with 802.11ac support by the time these boxes are available to customers.