cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to sm5w2

MVM

to sm5w2

Re: iptools.com is dead? (domain for sale?)

said by sm5w2:

99.99% of what I used iptools for is to either (a) look up an IP address to see what entity "owns" or is using it, or (b) to look up ownership / registration info about a domain. I don't seem to be able to do (a) with network-tools.com. Which I believe is a reverse who-is.

Punching in the IP address and choosing whois will give you the domain the IP's reverse DNS indicates. Instead of whois select network lookup and it will give who "owns" the IP address.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by cdru:

Punching in the IP address and choosing whois will give you the domain the IP's reverse DNS indicates. Instead of whois select network lookup and it will give who "owns" the IP address.

Yes, quite so.

sm5w2 See Profile,
They're related but a DNS lookup is not quite the same as a WHOIS lookup.

If you only care about WHOIS information, another handy website that works for a lot of the country-code and one-off TLDs (where other sites fail) is: »whois.domaintools.com/

Back to network-tools.com, you can do simple DNS lookups like many sites let you do, but the power is in the link for 'Advanced Tool' to the right of DNS Records. Here you can specify certain name servers or record types, etc. For example you can compare your ISP's DNS with one of the free resolvers like Google or OpenDNS.