join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Maven

Re: Need help building a desktop gaming computer

Start here:
»techreport.com/review/24059/syst···-current

Everything you need to know is in there.

Now if you are doing an upgrade and are keeping general things like HD's, DVD drives, case, P/S, etc. then this is what I would do:

Core I5 - K series for overclocking
Pick a good heatsink from www.frostytech.com

Make sure your current case and P/S can handle the new load and all the new stuff going into it.

Get a GOOD P/S if yours is a no name brand or al cheapo.
(I have a good case and P/S so I'm not worried about it.)

Any DVD drive is fine (I'll keep my old one)

HD's if you are not using a WD Caviar Black 1TB, or Samsund Spinoint F3 tb get one. (I already have 2)

Use TR's recommend mainboard, ram, etc.

Go with Radeon 7870 or equivalent Nvidia

If you already have a 22" to 24" monitor, keep it, (or if you are happy with what you have even if it is bit smaller)

then finally add a caching SSd such as this: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···20171667
Review here:
»www.hardocp.com/article/2012/10/···review/1

Total upgrade will be about $800 depending on what and where you decide to spend.

Your videocard is going to have bigger impact on games than processor. Don't skimp on the card.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Good information but not really germane to the OP and his $600-Canadian budget--you can't really fit an i5-3570K and 7870 without cannibalizing money from other areas (i.e. bottom-of-the-barrel mobo/ram/psu/case).
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
said by Krisnatharok:

Good information but not really germane to the OP and his $600-Canadian budget--you can't really fit an i5-3570K and 7870 without cannibalizing money from other areas (i.e. bottom-of-the-barrel mobo/ram/psu/case).

I was giving an example of what I would do as an idea to save some money by upgrading a current machine. The article I linked is definitely related to the OP's question. Especially the Econobon on the 2nd page.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
You're right, I missed the Econobox, although their prices will be less than what you can get it for in Canada. It's very similar to what I put together.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.