spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Pesterd
@rogers.com

Pesterd

Anon

How does a transfer work

What are the steps of doing a transfer of service from Rogers to Start? Call whom first etc.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

1. Call Rogers to give 30 days notice
2. Sign up with Start, entering the Rogers cancellation date on the signup form
3. Your Rogers connection will work through the cancellation date, and be disconnected sometime shortly after midnight the next day.
4. The Start connection activated within a few hours after that. If you're using the same modem, you might need to power cycle it.

yowdba
@teksavvy.com

yowdba to Pesterd

Anon

to Pesterd
Can some post steps for transferring from Teksavvy Cable on Red to Start ? Will i be charged install fee ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

A TPIA to TPIA transfer in Red territory requires a little more effort for two reasons:

1) Red will not accept an order until they see a pending disconnection on the circuit. This means that the losing ISP must submit the future disconnect request to the cable provider prior to the actual end of the term. Generally this is a special request since most ISP's don't submit the disconnection requests until just before the end date. This is something that will become easier as providers will soon be able to attest as to the transfer on behalf of the customer which will eliminate this requirement.

2) Neither Ontario cable network has the ability to have the same modem assigned to two accounts at the same time. This means they cannot accept the transfer until the modem is released from the original account. This usually results in the service being active the day after the cancellation of the old provider, ie old service stops working at midnight, sometime next day new service works. If you are currently on a rental (or going to one with the new ISP) then this isn't an issue of course since it's a different modem.

...all said, it's not that big of a challenge, just be aware that some additional assistance is required to make it go as smoothly as possible and it's certainly not as simple as a new install or a transfer coming from the incumbent. There are also workarounds to make either of these things easier:

1) Submit it as an install instead of a transfer, however the install fee then applies.

2) Use a different modem.

Hope that helps.
rocca

rocca to yowdba

Premium Member

to yowdba
Er, missed the actual steps

1) Call old provider, request disconnection say 30 days out - get the date. Make sure they actually push the disconnection request through to Red rather than waiting until end of term.

2) Call new provider (or order online) and place transfer order matching that date.

3) If you're using the same modem, the service will be active the date following the transfer, otherwise if a new modem then will be active the date of transfer.

Pesterd
@rogers.com

Pesterd to Pesterd

Anon

to Pesterd
Do you accept the Rogers branded SMC combo? Bought it about 2 years ago, still going strong. Currently being used on the Ultimate package (75/2).

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Unfortunately if it's the one ending in -RRR for the firmware, no they refuse to allow those on TPIA - strange but true. I believe there are a couple people in DSLR though that are able to flash the firmware back to the -RES for a pretty reasonable cost.

Pesterd
@rogers.com

Pesterd

Anon

Yeah, I just checked- it ends with RRR. Quite strange it is not allowed. It's their own branded version working excellent on the network for 2 years.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

said by Pesterd :

Yeah, I just checked- it ends with RRR. Quite strange it is not allowed. It's their own branded version working excellent on the network for 2 years.

Anything to make it more difficult...
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord to rocca

to rocca
said by rocca:

Unfortunately if it's the one ending in -RRR for the firmware, no they refuse to allow those on TPIA - strange but true. I believe there are a couple people in DSLR though that are able to flash the firmware back to the -RES for a pretty reasonable cost.

Speaking of which.. I don't do that specific modem, but anyone in the Ottawa area with a DCM-475 running outdated firmware (02.08) can get it upgraded to 02.16 with a 15-minute visit to me here in Bells Corners. I ask a $5 token fee for the service, but mainly want to keep otherwise good modems out of the landfill.