Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to footballdude

Re: Supernatural

I've been subjected to many promos for this show because I watch Arrow. My curiosity was piqued, too -- good to hear that you like it, and I might have to check it out myself.

So is it comparable to, say, Angel or something like that?
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE
kudos:1

quote:
Ya it's the show that it pretty close,although Supernatural gets into the gore more.

Lots of demons and stuff.
--
Sarcasm is the body’s natural defense against stupidity.

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to SixOfNine

said by SixOfNine:

Two brothers that travel the country tracking down and killing supernatural creatures. They are looking for their father (who is missing) and trying to figure out what killed their mother many years ago.

I sent an email to my brother describing the pilot. I'll copy it here. Spoilers for those who haven't seen the pilot ep:

Pilot starts out with a young woman putting a baby in a crib. Big brother (about five years old) comes into the nursery to help out. Dad walks in and kisses everyone good night. Happy family.

A couple of hours later, the woman wakes up hearing the baby fuss on the baby monitor. She rolls over but her husband isn’t in bed. She notices the lights flickering in the hallway. She gets up and walks to the nursery where she sees her husband standing next to the crib. His back is to her. She starts to ask if the baby is hungry but he quickly says “Shhhhhh!”. She goes downstairs to fix a bottle, but then she sees her husband sitting on the couch watching an old movie. She cries out, “Sammy!” (the baby’s name) and runs upstairs. The husband stands up to ask what’s wrong but she’s already up the stairs. He starts to walk over to the steps then hears her scream. He runs up the stairs into the nursery but there’s no one there. The baby is lying in the crib like normal. He goes over to look at him and something drops onto the baby’s head. It’s blood. He looks up and the mom is dead, pinned to the ceiling. As soon as he notices her, she bursts into flame. Not just a little flame, but a huge conflagration. The big brother runs in and dad puts the baby in his brother’s arms and tells him to get out of the house and not look back, no matter what. Dad tries to put the fire out, but it’s growing. The boy takes his brother outside. A few moments later, Dad comes running out and grabs them both up, sprinting across the yard. They barely make it before the house explodes.

Flash forward 22 years. Baby Sammy is in college. His girlfriend is trying to get him to a costume party but he hates Halloween. He’s celebrating his LCAT score and his subsequent invitation to one of the most prestigious law schools in the country. His final interview is in a few days. They go to the party and come back to their apartment. In the middle of the night, a noise wakes him up. He creeps into the front room and is attacked. He wrestles with his attacker in the dark until he finally overcomes and is about to brain the guy with a lamp when he hears “Sammy, it’s Dean!”. It’s his big brother. “Just wanted to see if you were keeping in shape.” Turns out their Dad is missing. Sammy doesn’t want to go but Dean eventually talks him into helping look. Dean agrees to have Sammy back by Monday for his big interview. Sammy doesn’t want to be a hunter anymore. Because that’s the family business. They hunt supernatural creatures and kill them. Bouncing around from town to town chasing down legends and rumors and killing those that turn out to be true.

They go to the last place they heard from their father. There’s a Woman in White ghost killing young men. Woman in White is a fairly common legend in many parts of the world where a young woman finds out her husband has been unfaithful to her and in a rage kills her children. When she realizes what she’s done, she kills herself. Then her angry spirit haunts the place she died, murdering young men that are unfaithful. In the process of uncovering and taking out the ghost, they find their father’s notebook. It contains everything he’s ever done with instructions on how to kill all of the supernatural monsters he’s gone up against. He’s never been able to figure out what killed their mother. There is also a scrap of paper with a couple of numbers on it. The brothers make the assumption that those numbers are coordinates and look up where they would be. A remote area of Colorado, in the forest. Dean wants to go there immediately but Sammy wants to get back to school. Dean drops him off at his apartment. Sammy walks in and sees a note from his girlfriend next to a muffin on the table. He calls her name but there’s no answer. He walks into the bedroom and hears the shower running. He lies down and waits for her to get out of the shower. Something drops onto his head. He looks up and she’s dead, pinned to the ceiling. As soon as he sees her, she bursts into flame. He’s stunned, just sits there getting singed and watching. Dean kicks down the front door and grabs him, pulls him out of the building right before the building blows up.

Flash forward a couple of hours. The brothers are sitting in an ambulance while firemen fight the apartment building fire. Sammy gets up and goes over to Dean’s car. He opens the trunk and grabs a shotgun, loads it, and says to Dean, “We got some work to do”.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to SixOfNine

said by SixOfNine:

I've been subjected to many promos for this show because I watch Arrow. My curiosity was piqued, too -- good to hear that you like it, and I might have to check it out myself.

I equate more to X files, mainly because some of the former staff is working on the show. Kind of a mash up between X files and Buffy/Angel.

I like the dark humor in the show. Netflix has all the seasons except the current one.
Though there is one problem with the streams. I guess due to licensing restrictions, many of the episodes are missing the kick ass sound track of the broadcast shows.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by Snakeoil:

Though there is one problem with the streams. I guess due to licensing restrictions, many of the episodes are missing the kick ass sound track of the broadcast shows.

Unfortunately, this not an uncommon problem
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬