spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JohnGalt21
join:2012-12-14
Ridgefield, NJ

JohnGalt21

Install Questions

So a Verizon contractor finally came around today and installed a conduit in my apartment building. I live on 2nd floor, and they drilled a hole inside my closet, down through my neighbor's closet and to the basement (all units are getting wired).

I wasn't home at the time of install, so couldn't ask any questions. But when I got back, it looked like a plastic tube about half an inch in diameter terminated in a white box that was about 3x3 inches and 1.5 inches deep.

Now I wanted FIOS for gaming (low ping), but this has me a bit worried. Does the manner of install mean I won't get fiber directly into my apartment? Will it instead it be only going to the basement and I'll get connected with a coax cable from there? That would suck.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy

Premium Member

Sounds like micro duct to me, which is used to pull fiber. Fiber is REALLY thin stuff and fits just fine in that 1/2" duct.

My guess is that you'll be getting fiber to your apartment through that microduct.

Let us know how this progresses!

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to JohnGalt21

MVM

to JohnGalt21
They ran microduct for direct fiber to each apartment....

AlanM
@verizon.net

AlanM to JohnGalt21

Anon

to JohnGalt21
You're getting fiber to your apartment, but just so you know, in new home installs (never seen a verizon apartment install myself), they send the fiber to a ont in your home (maybe in this case to the basement) and then coax goes to your modem, so even if you get fiber to your apartment, you'll get coax to your modem.
JohnGalt21
Ridgefield, NJ

JohnGalt21

I hope you guys are right. Now, I just have to wait for Verizon to make FIOS available in my area - it doesn't show up on the website, and from other threads it looks like it could take months for it to happen.
mikev
Premium Member
join:2002-05-04
Leesburg, VA
·Verizon FiOS
(Software) pfSense
Panasonic KX-TGP600

mikev to JohnGalt21

Premium Member

to JohnGalt21
If they weren't doing direct fiber to your apartment, then they would just install one box in the building phone closet for up to 8 units in the building, and use existing copper and coax to your apartment.

This setup uses one pair of copper for internet (via VDSL) and phone, and one coax for TV.

This is how Verizon set up in my building... and I'm not happy, because my fastest internet option is only 20/5.
JohnGalt21
Ridgefield, NJ

JohnGalt21

The wait is finally over, got FiOS this week. It took 2.5 months since they put conduit in and I posted on here. I did get fiber directly to my apartment and went with 75/35 option, here's the ONT setup:

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Out of curiosity, what router/device is that above the ONT?

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

GPON Desktop ONT.
JohnGalt21
Ridgefield, NJ

JohnGalt21 to Smith6612

to Smith6612
said by Smith6612:

Out of curiosity, what router/device is that above the ONT?

The tech said it's the new type of small ONT's they just started getting.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
What model router is above the desktop ONT? its doesn't look like the current Actiontec routers as the side is perforated
JohnGalt21
Ridgefield, NJ

JohnGalt21

That's not the router. The Actiontec router and the Motorolla DVR is by my TV. From what I understood the black router looking thing is the ONT, and the bigger block underneath is the battery backup. Could be wrong though.

I had the tech hook up my internet to the ONT directly via Ethernet to eliminate coax for lower ping rate, which is why you see the an ethernet cable there.

tito79
join:2010-03-14
Port Saint Lucie, FL

2 edits

tito79

Nice setup dude
antioch
join:2007-10-06
Pomona, CA

antioch to JohnGalt21

to JohnGalt21
said by JohnGalt21:

That's not the router. The Actiontec router and the Motorolla DVR is by my TV. From what I understood the black router looking thing is the ONT, and the bigger block underneath is the battery backup. Could be wrong though.

I had the tech hook up my internet to the ONT directly via Ethernet to eliminate coax for lower ping rate, which is why you see the an ethernet cable there.

Correct. Top its ONT, bottom is OPSU/BBU.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to JohnGalt21

to JohnGalt21
said by JohnGalt21:

The wait is finally over, got FiOS this week. It took 2.5 months since they put conduit in and I posted on here. I did get fiber directly to my apartment and went with 75/35 option, here's the ONT setup:

[att=1]

I have the same one