spc
Search similar:

uniqs

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Portable dehumidifier refrigerant recharge

Is it possible or practical to fix the refrigerant circuit in a portable dehumidifier? I have a nice quiet dehumidifier that no longer dehumidifies, though the compressor, fans, and controls are still good.

»www.soleusair.com/cfm_40e.html

Is it worth taking this to someone to have them find the leak and recharge it?
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

I don't think I would bother . Unit seems to only have a 1 year warranty which means it most likely has aluminum coils . These can be repaired by someone that really knows what they are doing , but once AL coils start to corrode and leak they usually continue .
Correct repair would be to replace the coil , but I can't see that being cost justifiable at all .
Remember that the repair will also necessitate pumping the system to vacuum to remove any moisture , flushing to remove any contaminants , refilling the system , and then verifying no leaks.
When you look for a replacement system , remember to give more weight to the length of the sealed system warranty then to the " looks " of the system

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Yeah, I figured. It looks like an aluminum evaporator from the outside at least.

This Soleus model is *really* quiet, which is what I like about it. The one I have in my basement now is an LG that rattles every single part in it when operating. Sounds horrible and you can hear it throughout the house.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

said by PSWired:

Yeah, I figured. It looks like an aluminum evaporator from the outside at least.

This Soleus model is *really* quiet, which is what I like about it. The one I have in my basement now is an LG that rattles every single part in it when operating. Sounds horrible and you can hear it throughout the house.

A little off topic, but I used to have an LG window A/C that rattled like crazy, a few creative applications of duct tape stopped all of the rattling.

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

I've duct taped panels together and jammed cardboard in various seams, but it always seems to start rattling somewhere else a few days after I "fix" it. Maybe I should just strip the whole damn case off.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to PSWired

to PSWired
said by PSWired:

Is it worth taking this to someone to have them find the leak and recharge it?

Bring it to an AC repair shop and ask for a quote.
If said quote exceeds 25% of purchase price, I'd just buy a new one.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired
Generally these devices will need a tap installed. I am betting it does not even have a place to hook up a set of gauges.

ArgMeMatey
join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI

ArgMeMatey to PSWired

to PSWired
I checked into it years ago with a refrigeration repair shop. They said they could do it but it would cost more than a new one. So, I got a new one. I'd say unless there's a specialty shop somewhere that has a process set up to do these, the average refrigeration mechanic has much better ways to earn a living.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired
Generally, once there's a problem with the refrigeration circuit in small units like portable humidifiers, air conditioners, and window air conditioners, they're pretty much throw-away items if outside of warranty.

Unfortunately, these things are not built with reliability or serviceability in mind. Not like units from 30 years ago that were actually built to last.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to PSWired

Premium Member

to PSWired
However if there is a nearby vocational school. Some of them will repair it. just be warned it will take awhile as that stuff is done as they have time.

Or if you do not want to just throw it inthe trash but still want to get a new one. you can donate it to these vocational schools. their HVAC/R departments love this stuff for educational use.