pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog to powerboost

MVM

to powerboost

Re: [POLL] Would you opt out of powerboost if you could?

So reading between the lines, you're saying the actual message is more like:

"Effective 12/17/12, your Internet service will be renamed. It will
be changed from Blast! Internet Svc, Includes PowerBoost to
Blast! Internet Svc. This change will not otherwise affect the
services you are currently receiving (YET)

It's probably nothing, but good catch.

Supposing they do drop PB, I wonder if they will in turn bump up the sustained speeds or change prices? Certainly people paying X for service w/PB (who like it) will probably not be happy paying X for the same service without PB. Although as of now, given this very small sample of their customer base, nearly half wouldn't care.

I suspect the average Comcast user doesn't even know what PB is, but may notice the difference in web page loading or email.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by pflog:

I suspect the average Comcast user doesn't even know what PB is, but may notice the difference in web page loading or email.

And that may be part of the reason that Comcast seems to be slowly lessening the effect of PowerBoost in only some areas and/or for some users. They want to see what kind of backlash is generated on a small scale before committing suicide with a mass scale change.

In my case, I had been seeing a greatly reduced downstream PowerBoost (an extra ~6-8 mbps instead of the old extra ~40-50 mbps) even before the November Business Class speed tier changes. I still am getting a large amount of upstream PowerBoost (but still noticeably less). I am on the 16/3 business class speed tier, and the Comcast speed test image below is now fairly typical for my connection.

OTOH, the Comcast speed test image below used to be a typical test result for my old 12/2 speed tier.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by NetFixer:

And that may be part of the reason that Comcast seems to be slowly lessening the effect of PowerBoost in only some areas and/or for some users. They want to see what kind of backlash is generated on a small scale before committing suicide with a mass scale change.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. I guess time will tell. I guess D3 has given them the headroom to provide faster tiers and not guise things with PB. Although the extra D3 headroom would also allow for crazy PB, but probably more load on the network.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by pflog:

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. I guess time will tell. I guess D3 has given them the headroom to provide faster tiers and not guise things with PB. Although the extra D3 headroom would also allow for crazy PB, but probably more load on the network.

And it would produce more complaining (and service calls) when users who usually saw crazy PB sometimes did not see it. It is kind of like the way that dogs see the world; there is no sometimes, there is only never and always (if you have ever owned or lived with a dog, you will know what I mean).

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by NetFixer:

said by pflog:

And it would produce more complaining (and service calls) when users who usually saw crazy PB sometimes did not see it. It is kind of like the way that dogs see the world; there is no sometimes, there is only never and always (if you have ever owned or lived with a dog, you will know what I mean).

That's a terrific analogy. Yes, that's quite true. We've seen it on these forums quite a bit in fact. "I normally get boosts to 80Mbps but lately only 45 Mbps, wth???"

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I really like consistency and predictability. I think it's a hang up from when I had FiOS on the east coast.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

said by pflog:

I dunno, maybe it's just me but I really like consistency and predictability. I think it's a hang up from when I had FiOS on the east coast.

Then you just need to come back to the "RIGHT" coast.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by ropeguru:

said by pflog:

Then you just need to come back to the "RIGHT" coast.

As soon as my company opens a site there (and no, Hudson is too damn cold so I'm not going there), I'm there Although I'm not sure my wife would be with me hahahha.

powerboost
@comcast.net

powerboost to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

Precisely. There are a lot of times where a Performance(15/2) tier person calls to complain that they have "slow" speeds. Slow speeds of 18/3. Because "I normally get around 24/4." That can be a difficult one.