spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state

Since copper is so expensive, surely fiber must be cheaper?

Obviously!
Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

Re: Since copper is so expensive, surely fiber must be cheaper?

In the long term it is.

Fiber has a lower upkeep cost, no EMI issues, water proof(in a flood the end point hardware can be damaged but the cable itself unless physically damaged by debris will work just fine once the electronics on each end are replaced/repaired.).

no EMI issues however can reduce the number of TCs into the support lines.

Also, Fiber is needed if the telcos ever hope to compete with DOCSIS3.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports
Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA

Re: Since copper is so expensive, surely fiber must be cheaper?

If all investors had a long term view, telcos replacing outdoor copper with fiber optics would be a no-brainer!
horseathalt7

join:2012-06-11
Reviews:
·DIRECTV

SUPER fast SPEED with a super EXPENSIVE price tag! LOL

Yet again all this silly blustering and hype about super fast speeds which very few need and even fewer will be able to pay for.

"Well Mr. McAdam...how much will this speed tier cost the customer?"

Considering this is Verizon we are talking about it will be a small FORTUNE! LOL
zippoboy7

join:2006-06-18
USA

Re: SUPER fast SPEED with a super EXPENSIVE price tag! LOL

Considering my bill is lower than it would be with the cost of a slower package on Concast I would have to say it could well be reasonable. In my case, all TV channels including the movie channels + 150/65Mbit inet (with no caps) + phone for $180 including the boxes for the TV. On Concast a similar plan with slower inet would run over $200 not to mention dealing with caps and the massive over-subscription on there system here.
horseathalt7

horseathalt7

Reviews:
·DIRECTV

The speed you are talking about is a far cry from what this super speed level of service is.

When you speak of your specific situation
you're talking about a promo offer, are you not?

They don't last very long..and before you know that price will balloon into a monstrosity only a very few would be able to pay.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium
join:2011-08-11
NYC
Agreed, it will be prohibitively expensive for most people. Then there is the issue of Verizon's backbone. Customers will have a 1 gig connection to the local CO but there is no way our IOF equipment can handle thousands of Gigabit connections leaving the CO. They would probably sell you a gig and (like the cable companies) kick you off or throttle you if you actually try and use it.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT

said by CXM_Splicer:

Agreed, it will be prohibitively expensive for most people. Then there is the issue of Verizon's backbone. Customers will have a 1 gig connection to the local CO but there is no way our IOF equipment can handle thousands of Gigabit connections leaving the CO. They would probably sell you a gig and (like the cable companies) kick you off or throttle you if you actually try and use it.

Splicer I don't know where you get your information, but the Trunking leaving the C.O. is all Fiber or at least it should be. Now if you are talking about the Equipment within the C.O. connecting the FiOS with the Trunks, if that is outdated it will be brought up to Specs before the 1Gb is offered out of that C.O.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

said by alchav:

Splicer I don't know where you get your information, but the Trunking leaving the C.O. is all Fiber or at least it should be. Now if you are talking about the Equipment within the C.O. connecting the FiOS with the Trunks, if that is outdated it will be brought up to Specs before the 1Gb is offered out of that C.O.

Yes the trunks are all fiber (and have been for many years now) and there has been new IOF fiber and equipment installed for FIOS but that equipment was not designed to handle a load that gigabit customer build-out would (could) generate. They planned for very limited uptake of 100 megs, not gigabit. Of course they could upgrade the equipment, the question is will they upgrade the equipment. If you think they would be beyond overselling their links like the cable companies do I would say you are naive. Are you familiar with Erlang calculations? "We're sorry, all circuits are busy now... Please try your call later"

Just for shits and giggles, lets take a small CO of 100,000 people. Assuming only a 1% uptake of the new service, that would need a 1 Terabit connection leaving the CO just for those users! You would still need bandwidth for the considerable number of Quantum and regular FIOS connections. How fast do you think the connection leaving the aggregator is?
JTR

join:2012-05-19
Carbondale, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

You don't allocate full bandwidth per user, Verizon oversells the same as any other ISP. Take 1000 customers, peak possible spike is 1Tbps but realistically? You aren't going to see 1Tbps. In fact, with the way oversell ratios go these days you could just run 3x 100Gbps lines to the CO. 300Mbps per person averaged out across 1000 people shouldn't cause any issues.
CXM_Splicer
Premium
NYC

Agreed but if you have 50 Mb/s service, for all intents and purposes, you have a 50 Mb/s connection to 'the Internet'. You will see small drops during heavy usage periods but a speed graph would be very steady around 50. The cable companies (at least when I had cable Internet) was the inverse of that graph... they had occasional peaks near their advertised speed but the average speed was much slower.

Verizon did a very good job of designing the IOF links for the service they have now. I would hate to see them offer 1 Gig and have it turn out to be 'Well, you had 3 seconds of 950 Mbps last night at 3AM, I don't know what you are complaining about... after all, the speed is not guaranteed!'. That's what I would mean by overselling.
serge87

join:2009-11-29
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by CXM_Splicer:

Agreed but if you have 50 Mb/s service, for all intents and purposes, you have a 50 Mb/s connection to 'the Internet'. You will see small drops during heavy usage periods but a speed graph would be very steady around 50. The cable companies (at least when I had cable Internet) was the inverse of that graph... they had occasional peaks near their advertised speed but the average speed was much slower.

Verizon did a very good job of designing the IOF links for the service they have now. I would hate to see them offer 1 Gig and have it turn out to be 'Well, you had 3 seconds of 950 Mbps last night at 3AM, I don't know what you are complaining about... after all, the speed is not guaranteed!'. That's what I would mean by overselling.

The fortunate side of FIOS is that the hard wiring of cities and neighborhoods only needs to be done once, whether it be for 20mbps or 1Gbps. The technology at the CO may cost some money to upgrade(GPON>XG-PON>who-knows-what-next) but mitigating oversubscription is less intensive on FTTH compared to cable.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..
OR they are doing what Google is currently doing with Google Fiber where the other end can't even do 1Gbps anyways. You get the Gig pipe but you get whatever the network can pull out. Sort of like a cable network but still stupid fast if managed properly. Google obviously has a ton of overselling going on for bandwidth though I don't think any official specs have been mentioned.