spc
uniqs
dragonfly5
join:2012-09-04

1 recommendation

dragonfly5 to vue666

to vue666

Re: Kayla Bourque - Killer in the waiting

Putting someone in jail is violating their charter rights, by definition. As a society, we choose to call that reasonable when someone has committed a crime.

I'd put forth that this woman is mentally ill, as evidenced by her inclination to torture small animals and plan the murders of human beings, and so should be put into a mental hospital until she is well. That would violate her Charter rights. I feel it's reasonable.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy

said by dragonfly5:

Putting someone in jail is violating their charter rights, by definition. As a society, we choose to call that reasonable when someone has committed a crime.

I'd put forth that this woman is mentally ill, as evidenced by her inclination to torture small animals and plan the murders of human beings, and so should be put into a mental hospital until she is well. That would violate her Charter rights. I feel it's reasonable.

I think you might want to re-read the Charter. Imprisoning someone after due to trial is quite explicitly NOT a violation of Charter rights.

Your ignorance in relation to mental illness is also telling.
dragonfly5

dragonfly5

Read it yourself. Section 9 of the Charter gives the authorities the right to deprive someone of their Section 7 rights after a trial.

And, really? Do you suppose someone who tortures kittens is all-right and dandy?
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy

said by dragonfly5:

Really? Do you suppose someone who tortures kittens is all-right and dandy?

Ah. I see you are using medical terms. I don't think people who post asinine comments on online forums are "all-right and dandy" yet they may or may not be mentally ill.

If criminal activity was a defining characteristic of mental illness, we wouldn't need prisons, everyone would be in a hospital. But there is more to a mental illness diagnosis.
dragonfly5

1 edit

dragonfly5

said by NCRGuy:

Ah. I see you are using medical terms. I don't think people who post asinine comments on online forums are "all-right and dandy" yet they may or may not be mentally ill.

[deleted]

If you feel so strongly that this woman is fit for release, how about you rent her a room in your house. Put your money where your mouth is.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to NCRGuy

Premium Member

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:

If criminal activity was a defining characteristic of mental illness, we wouldn't need prisons, everyone would be in a hospital. But there is more to a mental illness diagnosis.

I'd argue that everyone, except people who were railroaded by the system, in prison have mental issues.

If we focused on mental health a little more, there would be a lot of guards and police officers using employment services.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

said by J E F F4:

said by NCRGuy:

I'd argue that everyone, except people who were railroaded by the system, in prison have mental issues.

If we focused on mental health a little more, there would be a lot of guards and police officers using employment services.

Or retrained as healthcare professionals...