All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sweettxchick
@myvzw.com

Sweettxchick

Anon

thining about switching to millenicom. question?

I live in a dead zone for cable internet. Don't understand why because were on a lake with lots of rich people and live only about a few miles down from areas that do have cable internet. Right now we are using a verizon hotspot. We pay $90 a month for 10GB of internet (its pretty expensive). verizon works well for playing world of warcraft etc but were too scared to try to download anything because of the low gb cap so last month we used just 5GB.

Anyway, my question is, I researched and found millenicom and the price for the unlimited sprint plan is much better priced than our 10GB plan, BUT the closest sprint tower to us is like a hr away the map shows. Called millecom and they said we would have 3g service but being that far away from a sprint tower would the speeds be any good? And if we did have good speeds what would be a good reasonable download limit? I only have a couple big downloads id like to eventually finish and a world of warcraft patch is coming soon etc.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

The closest Sprint tower is an hour away? Very doubtful you'd ever get a signal. What is your zip?
Max Signal
Premium Member
join:2008-03-07
Buffalo, NY

Max Signal to Sweettxchick

Premium Member

to Sweettxchick
Why not switch to Millenicom 3G/4G hotspot plan . You are on Verizon and get 20GB a month for $70 no taxes , no contract

Sweettxchick
@myvzw.com

Sweettxchick to Sweettxchick

Anon

to Sweettxchick
my zip is 75603..i went to the sprint coverage map and it shows perfect 3G service but when i look on the map of towers it shows the closest tower is in Tyler, Tx. Not sure if the map was just outdated or not.
Sweettxchick

Sweettxchick to Max Signal

Anon

to Max Signal
The 20GB sounds like a good plan too but I was looking for more of a plan that would allow me to download a little. Downloading on 20GB could be used up quickly right? and for the same prices why not have 50GB lol
Sweettxchick

Sweettxchick to Sweettxchick

Anon

to Sweettxchick
i used this website to check cell towers in the area
»www.cellreception.com/to ··· e_abr=tx
is that out of date? because alot of people have sprint phones in my area (because verizon is expensive and sprint has unlimited data on phones) and get good service.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned) to Sweettxchick

to Sweettxchick
Looks like solid Sprint 3G coverage to me. I wouldn't put much stock into the map you were looking at. This one shows the towers around you: »network.sprint.com/search/75603/

Sweettxchick
@myvzw.com

Sweettxchick

Anon

oh thanks! it shows theres a tower right near us on that map.
Now what about downloading on the 50GB plan? I dont download bluerays or anything so im not talking about huge downloads lol. Just downloads that are a few gigs, (like tv series etc) would those be ok for a 50GB cap?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

50 gigs is a lot of data per month, don't go over it and you'll be fine.
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule to Sweettxchick

Premium Member

to Sweettxchick
Something you might want to keep in mind is that even though the Sprint plan has a lot higher cap, you will get a lot faster speeds with the Verizon device if you have 4G in your area.

On another note, Sprint is rolling out 4G quickly, but would still would require the purchase of another device in the future anyway.

Some people post some really decent Sprint 3g speeds...but 'decent' 3g speeds is no comparison to even bad 4g speeds.

I went with the 4G hotspot, and am pretty happy with it...I'm seeing speeds around 7-8mbps down, and I'm in a fringe area. (Using an external antenna)

Sweettxchick
@myvzw.com

Sweettxchick

Anon

we dont get 4g with our verizon hotspot so we wouldnt get 4g with verizon on millenicom either..I'd be happy with speeds of just 1mbps or so