Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Greg2600

join:2008-05-20
Belleville, NJ
reply to fishacura

Re: Ultra HD at CES

Like 3D it's a gimmick to sell more TV's. Moreover, there is still almost zero TV content which is 1080P. Selling the TV's and players is the easy part. Live TV is another. They've spent millions on HD cameras and equipment, there's no chance more money will be spent on UHD anytime soon. Movie theaters will give pause to that as well. Not only that, on a 42" TV the difference between 1080i, 1080P and 4K will not be sufficiently noticeable. It's just not. Perhaps when you start getting over 50 inches, but the # of those TV's out there is small compared to the smaller models.

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA
said by Greg2600:

Like 3D it's a gimmick to sell more TV's. Moreover, there is still almost zero TV content which is 1080P. Selling the TV's and players is the easy part. Live TV is another. They've spent millions on HD cameras and equipment, there's no chance more money will be spent on UHD anytime soon. Movie theaters will give pause to that as well. Not only that, on a 42" TV the difference between 1080i, 1080P and 4K will not be sufficiently noticeable. It's just not. Perhaps when you start getting over 50 inches, but the # of those TV's out there is small compared to the smaller models.

Could not disagree more.

1. It's absolutely detectable to the human eye at 42" Walk up to a 42" TV and tell me you cannot see pixels and I'll tell you that you need glasses.
2. I struggled to find a decent TV under 40" when I needed one last year. Fact is, the average size is growing and 42" is now the small end of many decent models.
3. PQ is NOT a gimick. I'll give you 3d or any other "feature" but PQ is core to the TV. That's like saying more horsepower in a car is a gimic as opposed to self-parking.
4. People who start the argument with "bandwith limitations" or "no content" have VERY short memories. Here's what I know for a fact. 10 years ago nobody knew what a smartphone or tablet was and 20 years ago nobody knew what the internet was. We were all dialing into BBS systems via phone lines and spending 2 hours downloading the latest crappy 500kb game. That's the early 90s. Now I can use my set top box, and have a full feature available to me immediately. It's a fact of life...it will happen, it's just a matter of when.
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

MURICA

join:2013-01-03
reply to Greg2600
said by Greg2600:

Like 3D it's a gimmick to sell more TV's.

You're right. It is a gimmick.

Just like high definition was a gimmick to sell more TV's back in the '90s and 2000's and color was back in the 1960's.

Like those other gimmicks, it's a damn good gimmick and an important evolution in display technology.