share rss forum feed

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to Gone

Re: What happens when travel insurance rejects your claim

Personally, I think that the insurance company should cover a claim but -- except in those cases where there is obvious fraud or attempt to misrepresent -- charge the difference between the premium they paid and the premium they should have paid.

In other words, if answering the questions accurately would have resulted in a $1,000 premium when they only paid $300, charge them $700. If accurate answers would have made them ineligible for coverage, then refund the premium and reject the claim.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

OverrRyde

join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
said by Styvas:

Personally, I think that the insurance company should cover a claim but -- except in those cases where there is obvious fraud or attempt to misrepresent -- charge the difference between the premium they paid and the premium they should have paid.

In other words, if answering the questions accurately would have resulted in a $1,000 premium when they only paid $300, charge them $700. If accurate answers would have made them ineligible for coverage, then refund the premium and reject the claim.

That is how it works actually. If you are a misrep, we do reimburse your premium. In some cases you are offered to buy the correct policy but the condition you had to be seen for is still denied.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
said by OverrRyde:

said by Styvas:

That is how it works actually. If you are a misrep, we do reimburse your premium. In some cases you are offered to buy the correct policy but the condition you had to be seen for is still denied.

I understand that, as long as the denial is for something that never would have been covered, and not for an oversight on the application (again, I'm not excusing outright fraud here).

What I'm saying is that, other than cases of explicit fraud, the claim should be covered if it could have been covered, but at the correct premium. I realize that this is an unlikely business decision on the part of the insurance company. I'm saying that I think it SHOULD be that way, not that I expect it to be.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to Styvas
Why collect another $700 (your example) to pay out $1000's when they can just deny the claim? Not good business.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
I made that point. Thanks for reading to the end of my post.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
My bad, I tend to skim over things...