spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Listening74
join:2012-10-18
v6e-1k2

Listening74

[BC] Vancouver latency.

To anyone living in Vancouver can you tell me what your line quality test ping times are. I would like to compare to my own. What is the ping to your first public hop?

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

Didn't you say in the last thread you started on latency that come the new year you were switching to Shaw?

pfak
Premium Member
join:2002-12-29
Vancouver, BC

pfak to Listening74

Premium Member

to Listening74
--- babylon.bb.telus.com ping statistics ---
50 packets transmitted, 50 received, 0% packet loss, time 49069ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 5.714/7.537/11.079/1.668 ms
Listening74
v6e-1k2

Listening74 to nss_tech

to nss_tech
Yes we are switching back to Shaw. I want to compare my results to others from Vancouver so I know whether my results are typical for Vancouver. I am 71ms to my first public hop when doing a Line Quality / Ping Test on this site.

nss_tech
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

Post a traceroute instead. The tools on this site point in the opposite direction (server > you instead of you > server). Plus the tool shows two separate sets of results. How come you are only mentioning one? Also testing to this site is only indicative of the latency between the test servers specifically and you. The results will vary a lot depending on the distance, connection speed/saturation, and country the test servers are in.
Listening74
v6e-1k2

Listening74

I don't think you actually get it. The fact that I am trying to figure out why my latency is so high is not a bad thing, getting information from Telus regarding these matters it's like talking to a brick wall. The last tech guy we had out here said himself that our latency spikes are very high, but he was told to just replace the modem, which he said himself "that won't fix the problem" So for me trying to find out why when I ping someone down the street from me and get results like 7ms 10ms 250ms, is important especially since I am paying $1800.00 a year for a service that has not functioned very well. Optik turbo TV/internet. That is what this forum is for ... Right?
telususer
join:2006-03-05
Burnaby, BC

telususer to Listening74

to Listening74
You are probably too far from the Central Office and it's also possible that you are on an overcrowded node. 71ms is unusually large, you shouldn't have more than 30ms. If latency is important to you, I would suggest you drop Telus.

Telus doesn't seem to care about their network in Metro Vancouver. They seem to be mainly interested in putting fibre in remote areas.

nss_tech
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

@telususer: Node = Shaw. Not Telus.

The reason he's seeing 71ms is that he's reading off the test from DSLR where their server pings out and the farther from it, the higher the pings. Listening has yet to post a single test that was performed from his end specifically. Add to that the fact that if a tech goes out, the tech isn't simply just going to go replace the modem and walk out the door as claimed especially if the tech knows what the problem is.

Listening - post some results from your end (traceroute / ping / MTR). Let's see what your connection is really doing, not the connection from DSLR to your house.
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3 to Listening74

to Listening74
Seems rather troll-like doesn't it? Keeps whining about latency and then leaving without giving any useful information. 70 ms is perfectly fine to a server in PA.