uniqs
share rss forum feed

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
join:2001-06-15
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

CyanogenMod 10.1 Nightly Updates

I've got a Samsung Galaxy Nexus from Verizon (CDMA) and my devices is rooted. I was running the Bugless Beast JB 4.1 ROM up until yesterday, when I decided to make the jump to CyanogenMod 10.1 and flashed the JB 4.2 update.

There were some issues that I had to figure out, namely that I had to download and flash GApps, but once I did that, things seemed to be going better, but I kept getting all these error messages like YouTube, Play Music, Google Books, etc, kept having errors and crashing and force closing, and I also had 2 Calendars. After doing some research, I found a solution that worked for me; I disabled the older Calendar first of all and only used the one that I downloaded with the latest GApps package, and then I uninstalled YouTube and all the Google Apps that were crashing and giving me problems. Then I went in to Google Play and re-downloaded them. Viola! They all now work perfectly, with no more crashes or error messages!

Now since this is the first time I'm actually using a CyanogenMod, I see they have a feature where you can download updates directly from the device OTA. VERY cool! Especially when you are running a nightly build and might want to move over a a newer build.

My questions are these, how do I go about downloading and installing the new updates via this method, and will flashing the new nightly build update wipe the device and it's basically like flashing a new ROM all over again and I'll have to go through all my setup and personalization and customizations again (ie. setting up my homescreens, folders, widgets, etc.)?
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Also another question.... yesterday I was speaking with someone I I wanted to email them a PDF file from my phone, and for some reason I couldn't attach it to the email, I was only seeing options for attaching Pictures of Videos. What hell?! I need to be able to send out business documents at times, so i need to be able to attach files. I used to be able to do this on stock, as well as when I was running the BB ROM, what gives? I found a slight workaround by actually going into my File Manager and selecting the document and then going to "Share" and picking GMail, but that is inconvenient and is only really good for composing a new email with the file attached. If I am responding in an email chain, that method isn't really going to help me if I need to attach and send a file/document out. So what gives, and how to I get this to do what I want it to do?
--
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix

I have an HTC and use ClockworkMod to load the updates. There is no having to redo anything. It keeps all the settings.

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

Why do you choose to do it via ClockworkMod, rather than the built -in CyanogenMod updater? How often do you do the updates? Every time a new nightly build is released?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

There wasn't much thinking about it I used clockworkmod to root it and it's resident in the phone. So, it's just a matter of booting in to that.

I've been following their build schedule when I remember and load the latest when available. I've only had one that was a little flakey.

Sandman
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Strafford, MO

1 recommendation

reply to Alpha Phoenix

I've used CM Updater in CM10, but only once, so I'm trying to remember how the process went. To download an update just tap the download arrow next to the build you want. Then, if I remember correctly, after the download is complete it will bring up a prompt to reboot to install the update.

Just like SparkChaser mentioned with ClockworkMod, this is an update, so it is not like installing a new ROM. All of your data and installed apps will still be there. Though I would recommend doing a nand backup before downloading the update.
--
Rule #62: Don't take yourself so damn seriously!

Alpha Phoenix
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

Thanks you guys! Just tried it and it worked perfectly!

RobinK

join:2004-04-16
Canada
reply to Alpha Phoenix

If any apps give you force closes after an update (some apps will after going from CM10 -> 10.1), all you need to do is clear their data. There should be no need to to uninstall and reinstall.
--
Argue opinions using facts. Not facts using opinions.

moes

join:2009-11-15
Cedar City, UT

Mine crashed and burned on one of the nightlies a couple nights back. so I'm back at cm10.0 for now, lost everything so reloading was alot of fun....