All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Remiel
@optonline.net

Remiel

Anon

[OOL] Internet suddenly spiking! I've tried everything..

Hello. Since yesterday my internet suddenly started spiking. I note that I do a lot of online gaming, and I also use VOiP programs which I can see my ping on at all times. I usually maintain a ping of 0-15 ms on my voice server, but now it drastically spikes every couple of seconds to anywhere from 60 ms to 10,000 ms.

It isn't something that resulted in configuration change either. It just, well.. came out of the blue.

I've checked coax cables for confirmation, changed my router's mac, checked my router's logs for possible DDoS attacks and outside connections, switched coax cables to test the cables themselves, and I've even connected directly to the modem to see if it was a router issue. Nothing helps.

I live in Brooklyn, NY by the way. I've already tried calling OOL and they said my modem was dropping packets, but I cancelled the appointment once before when this happened since it cleared up in the morning out of nowhere. That was two weeks ago though.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

Have them come take a look. If there's a problem in your area, their troubleshooting will need to start at your end.

Have you looked at the traceroute? Can you tell where the latency is?

aztr0
join:2007-10-28
Brooklyn, NY

aztr0 to Remiel

to Remiel
Call them back and have a tech visit. It could be something outside of the house. I've had serious issues with packet loss and the issue wasn't from the house. The techs came in and determined that it was from the poles outside and a network issue. After their visit and they put in a ticket for the field team to come out, my internet returned to normal after a week or two.
RemielBrunel
join:2013-01-09
Brooklyn, NY

RemielBrunel to Remiel

to Remiel
said by limegrass69:

Have them come take a look. If there's a problem in your area, their troubleshooting will need to start at your end.

Have you looked at the traceroute? Can you tell where the latency is?

How do I perform a traceroute to supply that information?
said by aztr0:

Call them back and have a tech visit. It could be something outside of the house. I've had serious issues with packet loss and the issue wasn't from the house. The techs came in and determined that it was from the poles outside and a network issue. After their visit and they put in a ticket for the field team to come out, my internet returned to normal after a week or two.

I'll be giving them a call later today most likely. The issue is that it's not my place. I'm just here temporarily, so I had to wait for the owner to return so there wouldn't be an issue.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to aztr0

to aztr0
said by aztr0:

The problem may very well be outside the OP's home, but unless it's a widespread problem, outside plant likely won't take a look at it until the basic troubleshooting is done starting from the cable modem so that premise wiring and customer equipment is eliminated as the problem source (which is usually where the problem is).

To do a trace route, go to a DOS prompt, type: tracert followed by the IP or host name you are trying to reach (i.e. tracert www.google.com) If you see a big jump in the numbers, that could indicate where the problem is. There are also some web based tools that do similar troubleshooting. You can Google that for some web sites that do that.

iotv
@myvzw.com

iotv

Anon

My internet has been really bad for two weeks since they updated me to 8 bonded channels. When I had 6 I had no or low uncorrecteds now mine are thru the roof snice i been upgraded two weeks ago.. Maybe your problems are the same.
iotv

iotv to limegrass69

Anon

to limegrass69
My internet has been really bad for two weeks since they updated me to 8 bonded channels. When I had 6 I had no or low uncorrecteds now mine are thru the roof snice i been upgraded two weeks ago.. Maybe your problems are the same.
CoreyTrevor
join:2013-01-20
Billings, MT

CoreyTrevor to Remiel

to Remiel
The same thing with our internet. Trace routes indicate way to many hops on the OOL network. Not to mention the router names are supposedly wrong and our first hop is in billings but shows jackson wyoming. Kinda hard to believe they can't fix the names on their routers. Called tech support who told us that it was due to our bill being past due, however the problem has existed since the install and the bill was not behind. they will send a tech out when we pay up the 1/2 month of past due. I say it will probably be easier to have century link come out and install their service...

Duckysaurus
@optonline.net

Duckysaurus to Remiel

Anon

to Remiel
Same thing happening here in Bensonhurst, zip code 11204.

Been spiking/data loss like every hour or so! REALLY annoying and frustrating.

Contacted Cablevision/Optinum Online and they sent 2 technicians over... technicians said they couldn't do anything and that it's tons of people in the same area ("around the corner, 2 blocks away")... what the heck is Cablevision/Optinum doing?? At least warn the customers and give us $$ for the service we're not getting, or do the fixing at the late night hours! GAHHHHH!
Parth
join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY

Parth to Remiel

to Remiel
I'm having problems too in 12603

»Re: It's that time of year again for my tests. :|
Hassan
join:2005-09-11
Valley Stream, NY

Hassan

Happening in 11559 as well.

This started happening yesterday morning, stopped mid-day and then started again at night. I then noticed it happening today at night (still happening as I'm writing this post).

Contacted Cablevision and they said that there was an issue on the line outside, getting packet loss anywhere from 7% to 23%. Someone is coming from Cablevision to check the lines outside to see what's going on today (all day appointment), at least I'm not required to be home.

-

This same issue happened last year as well and it took about a month and a half to get it resolved as they couldn't pinpoint the times of day it was happening. I had 3 plant engineers come out and sit on the line well past their 8 PM hours and finally someone saw what was going on the last night they were out here and the problems disappeared a day after I received a phone call from planet supervisor.

I'm just hoping this isn't the case again and this get's resolved a lot faster than it did last year. I can't complain much I guess, one internet outage a year for the price I'm paying.. Guess it could be worse.
Parth
join:2010-08-16
Poughkeepsie, NY
ARRIS TM1602
Linksys WRT1900ACS

2 edits

Parth to Remiel

to Remiel
It's almost impossible to catch the ingress happening on my street unless you're monitoring well after 10PM. 5-8PM appointments mean nothing and of course once it hits 8PM, the issue is "resolved."

Things were so bad last night that I couldn't even load an interlaced/progressive JPG without corruption (where you can see huge areas of the picture is missing and distorted) because of packet loss. Streaming video of any sort is literally impossible.

I don't know what to do anymore. I'm tired of dealing with Cablevision.